Tapped out, but still need stuff!! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Tapped out, but still need stuff!!

I know that this is going to be an ongoing problem, but whatever. It is where I am now.

So, I just blew a few more bucks on the bike. I now have oscillating head and brake lights, a helmet that fits correctly (kind of REALLY FREAKIN' IMPORTANT), a summer jacket (mesh), I just ordered a fall/spring/maybe winter jacket and pants (The summer is slow starting here around Chicago), an engine guard, and a smoke visor for my helmet. I am hoping to be done with my 'start up' costs soon.

So, I am really close to being tapped out for a while. Here is the problem: I want to start taking the bike to work, but I don't want to carry a bunch of stuff with me around the office, and I can't afford saddlebags, yet. What is a acceptable, affordable, maybe 2 year lasting 'trunk' (you can see my price range when I am asking for disposable luggage) that I can use that would hold my heavier riding gear, a cheap bike cover, and maybe a small briefcase? Oh, did I mention that my avatar pic is what I have to work with? (no sissy, no luggage shelf. Again, out of my price range right now)

I am also looking for both a good and a cheap (2 different covers, for clarity. Good and cheap are rarely used in the same sentence anymore.) 'parked at work/resting in garage for a few days' cover. I'll worry about a 'winter cover' depending on if I can afford some heated gear (and the outlets to power it, and whatever else I discover that I might need to support that)

So, suggestions would be appreciated. Reading these forums, I know that many of you were at one time or another in my same spot of more needs and wants than dollars for them. (I notice that some live in this place in perpetuity , I understand why! So many mods, so few dollars...) I figured I got the important stuff first, so now I can skimp on not-so-important-going-to-get-replacements-anyway stuff.

Thanks,
Otis

In my experience, a Motorcyclist goes places to see, a Biker goes places to be seen.

Homemade lowers
OEM Engine guard
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Tail Blazer oscillating tail light
Minnesota Fats 21" Windshield
Trail Blazer oscillating headlight
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
Saddlemen Extra Jumbo Drifter Saddlebags
Saddlemen Quick Release Saddlebag Mounts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:10 AM

What kinda a budget is is low I think there was a nice looking trunk in the classifieds for $100. Honestly look on Craigslist you can find some used bags for a little of nothing. At the moment I have a net on the pillion lol. It actually fits snug but is stretchy enough that I have had a gas powered leaf blower on the seat and secured to drive over to a friends house(his blower he needed it back) It came out of the trunk of my wifes car Lol!! but when empty If you check the picture game post you can see it lays completly flat when not in use. I have had my laptop under it more than once but wouldn't recommend it in the rain.

08' 900 Classic solar indy yellow
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Top Contributor

I see lots of people ride wearing a backpack, lots of storage in them. You can find a cheap cover for your bike for around $25 i would guess. So, for around 50 bucks you can temporarily solve your $$ problem. Good luck...

2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Yamaha yz250f

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

a buddy has some kind of round duffle that straps to his handle bars above the headlite. he can pack lots of krap in it and it works like a wind break. also not have all that weight on yor back.. tho I use the bakpak occasionally. if its heavy, I adjust the straps so the weight is on the fender(or pass seat) and not on my back.

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 07-05-2012 at 11:40 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 AM
JtC
Top Contributor

Garage
I hear ya, man. The IRS swooped in during the night and wiped out my savings account.

I'm actually thinking about selling my Fender P bass so I can buy a trunk system. I have bags, but I ALWAYS need more STUFF!!!

2010 V2K Classic LT aka "Mr. Spock"
2007 Suzuki S83 -fast, fun, goodbye, good riddance
2005 Nomad R.I.P. Totaled in '07

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CMA#158186
"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." -2 Corinthians 3:17
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 AM

I use one of these. It is very versatile, and can be worn as a backpack, or strapped to the bike. I pretty sure I got mine for around $30.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Pr...kpack/16783182

2008 Vulcan Classic LT
Baron Big Air
Vance & Hines pipes
Throttle lock
Passenger floor boards
Mustang seat with driver backrest
Highway pegs
PCV with Autotune
Kuryakyn power point
Highway bars
Kuryakyn highway pegs
Former owner of a 2008 Honda Rebel
Owner of a 1994 Honda Magna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
A good sized duffle bag sitting on your passenger seat carefully strapped on would provide some storage. Ugly, but functional!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:29 PM
V2K Rogue Wrangler

That's what credit is for! You know you want it! You deserve it! Go ahead, you can pay it off later and enjoy it now!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM
JtC
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw-poke View Post
That's what credit is for! You know you want it! You deserve it! Go ahead, you can pay it off later and enjoy it now!
Yeah, it's the American way!

2010 V2K Classic LT aka "Mr. Spock"
2007 Suzuki S83 -fast, fun, goodbye, good riddance
2005 Nomad R.I.P. Totaled in '07

CMA#158186
"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." -2 Corinthians 3:17
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:20 PM

Garage
I'm a fan of Nelson-Rigg luggage. Also, they are great to deal with if you have issues. My rain cover developed holes on my first trip and they replaced it no questions asked.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/default.aspx

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Dragster Pipes
Cobra Fi2000
Classic Rear Fender
Harley Tour Pack
Running on the Darkside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode