Idling after starting, do they all do this? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Idling after starting, do they all do this?

This started not so long ago, hoping to get some advice on it;

I always start my bike a few minutes before setting off to work in the morning, I like the bike to be warm before going.
When I start it, it does higher revving, as it should, about 1200rpms (I have a tach) for a little while then quietening down to what looks just below 900, which I know is way too low, the engine is still cold.

After a few miles on the road, all is fine, it then stays idling steady at just slightly below the 1000 mark, within the range recommended by Kawasaki.

Is this normal behaving for the 900?

If I set the idling higher manually turning the knob to have an idling speed of over 950 when cold, it will be then be idling at 1200 when warm.
so

What has changed lately?
Temperatures are colder since we are approaching winter, but still around 13C (55 F) at night and in the morning .
I have just started using a lower octane rating gas, after reading all about it on this forum, the bike is running very well.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
This started not so long ago, hoping to get some advice on it;

I always start my bike a few minutes before setting off to work in the morning, I like the bike to be warm before going.
When I start it, it does higher revving, as it should, about 1200rpms (I have a tach) for a little while then quietening down to what looks just below 900, which I know is way too low, the engine is still cold.

After a few miles on the road, all is fine, it then stays idling steady at just slightly below the 1000 mark, within the range recommended by Kawasaki.

Is this normal behaving for the 900?

If I set the idling higher manually turning the knob to have an idling speed of over 950 when cold, it will be then be idling at 1200 when warm.
so

What has changed lately?
Temperatures are colder since we are approaching winter, but still around 13C (55 F) at night and in the morning .
I have just started using a lower octane rating gas, after reading all about it on this forum, the bike is running very well.

Thanks
Normal I would say. My 900 is always idling a little higher after a ride. My VTX the same.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:06 AM

My 900 will idle fast when first started especially if its cool and if I stop and then restart. I don't let it warm up much before pulling off. I think its unnessesary for it to have a fast idle after starting when warm but that is the nature of the beast. It will settle down after a few seconds. I guess that's better than stalling.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 AM

While I don't have a tach it sounds like mine does the same thing. fast idle and if I just let it sit there it goes to low and if I ride just a tad it up to about right. If it's just below 900 at it's lowest point it wouldn't take much of a turn to get it at 900. Here it is just getting into spring and today was the first day in weeks it was 50*F at 5:00 am. The last few weeks have been about 30 when I leave the house.

08' 900 Classic solar indy yellow
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
It's normal. Our 'fuel injection' is really more throttle body injection, kind of between a carb and true fuel injection. I think it's more than just warming up I think part of it is making sure it doesn't stall out.

Sequential fuel injection has injectors close to the intake valves and a myriad of sensors to perfect the mixture. Our bikes have injectors closer to the throttle bodies and mixtures set by fixed maps. It's still alot better than a carb, but I imagine in the right conditions it would be a rough start / idle when first fired up if not for running a bit rich (high idle) at start up, same effect as a choke basically.

Just a theory, anyway.

I always warm mine up too. Let's the oil work it's way through everything and get warmed up. Not always until it's out of high idle, but for 30 seconds to a minute or so.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Top Contributor

These bikes do not have idle speed continuous control like cars do ( they have air conditioning, etc,etc,) therefore slow idle when cold and faster idle when warm is normal.
What my car does, with very sophisticated fuel injection, is start with a fast idle and slowly drop as engine warms, BUT hot or cold restart, it always idles up to 1200 and then drops down to normal idle. It never restarts at curb idle speed. Same as your bike.
This provision is to provide a more reliable restart.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:59 PM

I have a tach as well. Warm engine idle set at 1000 rpm. When it comes off fast idle it still idles at approximately 950 rpm. I think you're getting a big drop in rpm if it drops below 900.

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Top Contributor

The amount of idle drop would depend on may factors; oil brand, grade, temperature, age, outside air temp, miles on bike, the list goes on...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the valuable and interesting input guys!
So it seems my bike is behaving normally, I wont worry about it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode