Michigan repeals helmet law - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Michigan repeals helmet law

After many tries our new govenor Rick Snyder the old Gateway CEO signed into law, you don't have to wear a helmet in Michigan! Not since the early
70's has it been legal to not wear one while riding. His thinking is we will get more tourist traffic since quite a few midwest states already have the no helmet law.

The law allows people age 21 and older to ride without helmets if they have been licensed to operate a motorcycle for at least two years or have passed a safety course. Motorcyclists would be required to buy additional insurance at least $20,000 of first party medical benefits coverage in case they are involved in an accident.

My question is do you think it will bring more bikers in, and do you go helmetless if you have the option?

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire
Kury Run/Turn/Brake module
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I think it will attract more bikers. Here in NYS I have friends who drive to PA just to take their silly hats off. A few years ago while in Portland, ME I noticed people riding w/o helmets. There is a hotness factor when you see a gorgeous woman throw her leg over a bike and ride away, hair blowing in the wind. That was when I realized that a lot of women who are "afraid to ride" may actually be afraid to deal with helmet hair.

Once on a ride to PA I popped my lid and rode for about 2 hours. I didn't find it liberating, but I did notice that nearly all the PA bikers were wearing helmets. Nearly all the topless riders we saw were sporting NY plates.

If the law in NY changed I probably would occasionally ride w/o, but then I used to think I'd drive w/o a seat belt too. Now I'm uncomfortable driving in a parking lot with out the belt. I think I'd be the same way with a helmet.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 PM

As with seat belts in a cage,every state should make it optional for riders 21 and up to wear a helmet or not while riding a bike,just my opinion. I don't think states should impose these restrictions on us....after all its the driver that suffers any consequences.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I'm from Ohio were it's not required to wear one, but have lived in Ga. the past four years and have to wear a helmet. When ever I go back I stop at the rest area just over the Tenn. Ky. state line and replace my helmet with a doo rag. I avoid W.Va. when I'm there just so I dont have to put it back on. Have been to eastern Ga. cpl times and have detoured to S. Carolina just so could ride without it.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 PM

Garage
I always wear a full face and always will. Non-helmet riders make fun of me in the summer and I laugh at them in hail storms.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Dragster Pipes
Cobra Fi2000
Classic Rear Fender
Harley Tour Pack
Running on the Darkside
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Here in Kansas, it's your choice. I usually do wear mine, but it's nice to have that choice. I have friends who won't ride to Missouri because you have to have a helmet. Too each their own.

Michael Oldfield
Paola, Ks.
VROC #1990
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VDOG #039
2010 VN900LT Bagger, Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing, Mutazu Hardbags, Mutazu Trunk
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue Wagon View Post
I always wear a full face and always will.
We're very happy for you!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 PM

I live in pa and wear mine 99 percent of the time, plus it keaps the wife quiet but those crazy hot summer days it's nice to ride without !!

..I Ride a 900 Custom SE..
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 05:18 AM

Of course it makes sense to wear a helmet. I religiously wear a half helmet so I get more air. Why have a motorcycle if you can't enjoy being outside the cage. My helmet has saved me twice from hitting my head while stopped.(loose gravel or oil) My wife nags me if I don't wear it!!!!! Love is a good thing......
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

I've always worn a full face helmet, and always will.
I went down HARD on Oct.23,2011 and My helmet (Nolan Trilogy) was wrecked, but IT DID IT'S JOB. I can't say what would have happened to me If I wasn't wearing it, but I know It would have been much worse.
I have a wife, family and company that I feel an obligation to. For me it would be unacceptable to risk it all for something as silly as feeling the wind in my hair..

The world is a pool table,and all the people in it are either stripes or solids. You alone are the cue ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode