What to expect from my 900 custom - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

What to expect from my 900 custom

I bought this 2 days ago. I really like it so far.

I'd like to know what to expect, with your experience, as for reliability, performance, maintenance, best accessory you added, most trouble you've had and so on. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Expect to spend lots of money upgrading and customizing.

Seriously though, I love my 9, she has plenty of low end to get you going. Some say she gets buzzy at >70 but I don't think she does. I spend half of my daily commute at 70-80 with no complaints.

Oil changes are easy, and most upgrades are shade tree type.

Nice looking bike. Welcome to the club.

-Vinny VROC #32287 - 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, Ness Big Sucker, Fi2000R, Cobra 2-into-1

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Banned

The 900 is a great bike. It's reliable, easy to ride, easy to maintain, and there's a good selection of accessories.

The only thing you won't like is the seat.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 PM

Only one negative for me. The seat is not 2-Up friendly. Your rider will soon refuse to ride with you! I eliminated the problem with a Butty Buddy add on seat. The misses likes it! However, that does nothing for the driver. Long rides will soon have you looking for a better seat to improve your ride as well. I don't usually ride longer than a couple hours before I need a break. If I return riding a couple more hours, my tail is about done for the day with this seat. Some days are more tolerant to the butt soreness than others. I still have the stock seat, but it's on the short list to be replaced.

On the Plus side, I love my 900! It has good low end getting around. It is easily maneuverable and also handles well on the big slabs. Some will tell you they don't. I say they do just fine. Well, get out there and find out for yourself. Low maintenance, good gas mileage, and a nice cruiser ride. The best accessory I've added was the Highway bars. Nice bike! I'm sure you will grow to appreiate this really well made machine.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Oil changes are easy,
This is 1st on my list. I used Rotella T6 on my Honda and will do the same with the 9. PO has yet to send the bike manual.

I noticed a big difference between riding this and the Honda 750. I feel more confident. I think this is due to more power and the better response. The stock seat is even more comfortable than the Honda.

I did not see a helmet lock? I believe the Honda is better built but not as easy to ride as the 9.

I didn't think I would like the belt drive but notice I don't hear the whining like I did with the shaft at 70 mph. This bike is debaffled so it is definitely louder. Of course this should be more noticeable to those around me.

Quote:
Nice looking bike. Welcome to the club.
Thanks! Looking forward to hanging out here.

Question?

The bike is in excellent condition due to the fact that PO took very good care of it. Garage kept, took tank off and drained gas. Only had 1700 miles on it. There are quite a few bolts that have a white substance on it as if moisture got to it. Not rust but some oxidation of some sort.

How do I remove this and add protection to these parts?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akgeezer View Post
Your rider will soon refuse to ride with you!
I'm just not seeing the problem here . . .
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 AM
Top Contributor

Expect to have a stupid grin on your face for a while. The Custom is a fantastic ride, just regular maint. and she just love to be ridden. If you plan on doing your own work I would recamend getting the shop manual, has all the schedules and torques necessary to keep your new bike happy and running well. Have fun.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboo311 View Post
I bought this 2 days ago. I really like it so far.

I'd like to know what to expect, with your experience, as for reliability, performance, maintenance, best accessory you added, most trouble you've had and so on. Thanks!
Nice bike, nice buy.
I have a Classic, which is very similar.
The bikes are very reliable. Low maintenance and solid performing bikes. The 900 is an all around bike; it is nimble for local, short rides but will also do for long distance rides. The longest I have done is about 600+ in a day. The bike handled 70+ MPH with no problem.

As for accessories, I would say add the engine/crash bars and a windshield. The bars help if you go down or drop the bike. It happens, and the bars will help protect the bike. I had never ridden with a windshield before. Now that I have one, I won't have a bike without it. I am not concerned with 'how does it look' (I think it looks fine, but that is not a concern). The difference in the ride is well worth it, especially if you are riding at highway speeds.

Rod

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Zhaan)
OEM Windshield, Crashbars, Sissybar
OEM Slim Saddlebags
Crampbuster throttle control
Wagner BP1210/H4 headlight & 2357LL taillight
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I really appreciate the feedback because I didn't think I could be more excited about riding than I was with my Honda. This 9 has changed my mind. I'm surprised by my reaction!

Quote:
The longest I have done is about 600+ in a day. The bike handled 70+ MPH with no problem.
I've never been on a long ride or spent much time on an interstate. This bike has endless possibilities.

Quote:
Expect to have a stupid grin on your face for a while.
Ha! You are exactly right...
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I don't think anyone has mentioned it but just a 'heads up' that the Stator on the 900's is known to fail early. Expect around 15-20k or a little more you'll need to swap a stator. Good news is the improved aftermarket design is only $150 and it can be done with hand tools on the side stand in a couple of hours.

The other good news is that when it comes to mechanical issues or failures... that's about it. Look through this section of the forum, we've got bikes around here up over 150k and you rarely see anything other than a stator. Usually just upgrades, tires, seats, that sort of thing. It's a super solid bike.

On the oxidation:

I've had the same thing. Someone suggested this to me, don't know if it helped or not but I did it. There are some waxes and polishes out there labeled to prevent rust. Next time you wash/wax your bike, take some of that rust-preventing wax and dab it on the threads before putting it on. Another option is to go to a hardware store and get some chrome or stainless steel bolts. (Chrome plated stainless steel or solid chrome though, chrome plated zinc bolts will give you just as much trouble) I did that with my OEM windshield bolts (I have a Classic LT), replaced them with SS bolts and nuts, they kept rusting, especially since I've been caught in the rain a few times.

Enjoy! I was looking at a bunch of bikes last fall and something pulled me to the 900LT... one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Also, on the 70+ thing, I'm bigger than you are, and I run my 900LT with my fiancee on the back on the highway all day long. We've done long trips and, other than the stock seat leaving us a little sore, this bike does it extremely well.

Edit: There is a helmet lock. It's under the seat and utterly useless. You won't find a decent helmet lock on any modern bike unfortunately. Those are a feature of days gone by! I keep a bicycle lock in my saddlebag and lock my helmet to the sissy bar. You could probably find a place to tether your helmet. Otherwise just take it with you.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 04-17-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode