Astech seat? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Astech seat?

Does anyone have any experience with Astech seats? They claim, as do all the other companies that re-do seats with gel and memory foam, to use special stuff to make it very comfortable. The name, of course earns a few points right away.

Any info, good or bad, about this company and its products? Thanks.

2008 VN900 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Astech seats? They claim, as do all the other companies that re-do seats with gel and memory foam, to use special stuff to make it very comfortable. The name, of course earns a few points right away.

Any info, good or bad, about this company and its products? Thanks.
Got no info on Astech, but an observation on the discomfort I felt with my stock seat: it came from the lousy seating position, not from the quality or lack thereof of the cushion material.

With my stock seat I felt like I was sliding forward into a depression all the time, making my back ache and pulling my pants excruciatingly tight into my crotch. Nothing anybody could do - no amount of gel added - to that miserable shape would fix it for me.

My Mustang Wide is better, offering some low back support and a seating position that doesn't leave me sliding downslope all the time. I can still imagine better, especially better lumbar support, but seats can, as all the threads here attest, suck up a helluva lotta money. I'm not ready to dive any deeper.

Jeff

Vietnam Vet; Combat Infantryman's Badge; Purple Heart w/ Oak Leaf Cluster
Patriot Guard Rider

2007 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Kuryakyn Passenger Floorboards
LeatherLyke Large Cruiser Case; Mustang Seat; Baron pullback risers
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

In my opinion, the problem with the VN900 stock seat is not the padding, it's the shape of the seat pan, and there is nothing you can do with memory foam or gel pads that will fix it.

The stock seat is intended to look good while the bike is sitting on the showroom floor, and it is useless for actual riding.

Save yourself a lot of money and disappointment, and go straight to an aftermarket seat. I recommend the Mustang, but there a few others to choose from.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Top Contributor

In my opinion, I have nothing good to say about the stock seat. 2 months after buying my bike new on went the Mustang seat and never had any issues after that. I and my boss ride Classic LT's and we swapped seats one day to let him try my Mustang and he loved it, as for me it felt as if I was setting on the frame with his stock seat. Kawasaki built a great bike when they built the 9, but i'm surprised someone hasn't taken them to court for back injuries. lol!

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust