883 sporty mufflers on a 900? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

883 sporty mufflers on a 900?

Anyone ever try it. Yes i know our units are one peice pipes but I can cure that easily and weld pretty good. and the huge heat shields we have can hide the pipe to muffler joint. The reason I ask is I can get a set for nothing great shape still have the crossover tube like our do. I know it's more work than just debaffling but since the PO of my bike drilled holes all over my pipes I have them welded up already so they aren't pristine by any means.
I just wonder what they'd sound like. And besides my time the rest would be free.

08' 900 Classic solar indy yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

So after further investigation I found out why i didn't like the sound of my bike. The P O not only drilled holes all over. when I went to look closer for garage night with the guys tonight I found two phillips head screws inside the exhaust. The PO put a 2ft piece of 1/2 Galv. pipe inside the pipe. I had to cut the front muffler off the pipe and drive it out. The rear pipe came out with some wiggling and pliers. I didn't put the sporty mufflers up to the header pipe and I would have to come up with a spacer as the sporty mufflers have a bigger ID than the header pipe. I ran the bike after pulling the rear pipe out and the sound was 100% different and better. So to me it wasn't worth the effort to put on the sporty's. But it would not be hard at all to seperate and put any slip on mufflers in place that a guy wanted. Would just have to figure out mounting on the rear of the mufflers.

08' 900 Classic solar indy yellow
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Interesting!

I actually think these bikes sound great with the factory pipes debaffled, but with the goats bladder (cat converter) still in tact. Right amount of volume, and very throaty kind of 'muscle car' sound. There are a handful of pipes I like better, but most of the aftermarket pipes, to me, only mimic or are worse than the sound of the debaffled pipes (that's me though). That said, I think it sounds awful when they do the "Stage" debaffling where they punch a hole, drill holes, etc. I removed my baffles completely, and it sounds GREAT.

The reason I say that is, if you get everything pulled out of there, but still don't like the looks because of the previous owner, don't discount the idea of getting a cheap/free set of pipes like pop up on this forum every once in a while. Take the baffles all the way out, and enjoy!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode