Tach/Electrical people, got a question for ya... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Tach/Electrical people, got a question for ya...

Hey,

So I've got an old Auto Meter tach sitting in my closet. I was wondering, if I set it to 4 cylinder mode, with no single fire adapter, what would my readings be like? I'm not wanting to mount it, I'm just wanting to get my idle set because I'm paranoid it's not right, it feels too high, but I also don't want it to be too low (just debaffled and it's throwing me off)

I remember on my old Cougar if I flipped it down to 4 cylinder mode I could convince people I had a souped up stock car engine under the hood turning a 5.0L V8 8k+ RPMs LOL.

So my question is, how to wire it up just to test, and, what my readings would be like. If it's cut in half, or even in a quarter, that's no big deal as it's an accurate tack. I'll just set my idle for 250rpms in that case (aka 1000rpms)

Thanks!

John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Tach help

It would show 1/4 the revolutions, unless you build your own single-fire tach adapter, in which case it would show 1/2 revs.

If you have been around a soldering iron before, you can build this for like $2 worth of parts from RadioShack/Fry's/etc in minutes.

Good luck
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf_il View Post
It would show 1/4 the revolutions, unless you build your own single-fire tach adapter, in which case it would show 1/2 revs.

If you have been around a soldering iron before, you can build this for like $2 worth of parts from RadioShack/Fry's/etc in minutes.

Good luck
Even with 1/4 revolutions it wouldn't be bad... this is just for diagnostics... not gonna mount it. Where do I hook everything up? I can figure out the hot +12v and ground pretty easy, but there is one lead that comes out that goes to the ignition, where does that attach on the 900?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Top Contributor

Your Autometer should have 4 wires:

1. Tach power.
2. Coil negative ( rpm)
3. Tach ground.
4. Instrument light.

Connect 1 to coil positive.
Connect 2 to coil negative.
Connect 3 to battery ground.
Do not connect 4.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Your Autometer should have 4 wires:

1. Tach power.
2. Coil negative ( rpm)
3. Tach ground.
4. Instrument light.

Connect 1 to coil positive.
Connect 2 to coil negative.
Connect 3 to battery ground.
Do not connect 4.
Forgive my I-Don't-Know-That-I'm-Doingness, but which ones are coil positive and which ones are coil negative (on the bike?) I haven't pulled the cover off yet though, it might be extremely obvious (like a red and black wire). It's storming right now though so she's hiding under her cover

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Top Contributor

I should have said that in my first post:

Coil positive is red wire.
Coil negative is black or black/green wire depending on which coil you select
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 PM

You want to attach the tach lead to one of the coil output negative wires, not the ignition...you aren't mounting it right? Ignition lead would only be to light-up the display at night.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf_il View Post
You want to attach the tach lead to one of the coil output negative wires, not the ignition...you aren't mounting it right? Ignition lead would only be to light-up the display at night.
When I had it mounted on my old Cougar, it was years ago but if I remember right one wire went to a positive lead in the fuse box, one went to the dash light lead from the stereo, one to ground and one to the distributor I THINK. It's been a while, and back then I had the instructions

If I could figure out a way to make it read correctly and subsequently waterproof it I might just mount it in the future. Any way that's possible? It only does 4/6/8 cylinder modes so, as I understand it, my best scenario would be 1/2 the rpms with a single fire adapter right? Don't wanna mount it in that case.

Oh, and it's a Sunpro, not an autometer. Although I thought I had an autometer somewhere too... I dunno.

Last edited by Romans5.8; 04-13-2012 at 03:58 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Top Contributor

The wire that originally connected to your fuse box can go to coil positive.
Ignition lead is not for lighting.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
The wire that originally connected to your fuse box can go to coil positive.
Ignition lead is not for lighting.
Yeah the lighting one is definitely all on it's own. It's a shorter wire and runs to the backlight bulb. It's dimmable and everything. Won't need that though (unless I do mount it down the road). Just wanna get my idle set.

Anyone wanna take a guess at how to maybe makeshift a way to make this tach read 100% correct? A few bucks on resistors and such would be nicer than $100 on a tach!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode