Dealership EBC brake pads, Metzeler ME880 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Dealership EBC brake pads, Metzeler ME880

I just purchased front and rear Metz 880's for my Vulcan 900. I bought the bike with 12,000 miles. I think it still has the stock Dunlop's on the bike, they were not totally worn but some of the wear marks were being touched and I figured since the bike was new to me, might as well ride on new tires.

Then since I am having the stealership put the tires on for me. I thought I should go ahead and have new pads thrown on at the same time. The bike shop sells only EBC brake pads. Does anyone have any comments on EBC brake pads and how much time is sufficient to be charged at the dealership to install the pads while they are already changing my tires and have the caliper off already in the first place.

Price I was quoted for the pads front and rear was 75 dollars. And I believe they told me 15 minutes per tire to merely pull old pads off and put new ones on. That seems like 15 minutes overpayment. Since it literally takes seconds to change out the pads with the caliper's off in the first place.

Anyway I'm open to comments, I go in on Friday morning to have the tires changed. And was hoping to hear some advice or comments on my upcoming service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyarmour View Post
I just purchased front and rear Metz 880's for my Vulcan 900. I bought the bike with 12,000 miles. I think it still has the stock Dunlop's on the bike, they were not totally worn but some of the wear marks were being touched and I figured since the bike was new to me, might as well ride on new tires.

Then since I am having the stealership put the tires on for me. I thought I should go ahead and have new pads thrown on at the same time. The bike shop sells only EBC brake pads. Does anyone have any comments on EBC brake pads and how much time is sufficient to be charged at the dealership to install the pads while they are already changing my tires and have the caliper off already in the first place.

Price I was quoted for the pads front and rear was 75 dollars. And I believe they told me 15 minutes per tire to merely pull old pads off and put new ones on. That seems like 15 minutes overpayment. Since it literally takes seconds to change out the pads with the caliper's off in the first place.

Anyway I'm open to comments, I go in on Friday morning to have the tires changed. And was hoping to hear some advice or comments on my upcoming service.
Change the pads yourself if you feel you are being gouged. The mechanic does not have to remove the calipers to remove the wheels so it would be an extra step for them. When you do change the pads you should lightly scuff up the rotors with 400 grit paper then clean with brake clean spray. This will remove the contaminates from the old pads.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Top Contributor

Brake pads are an easy replacement... why not do it yourself and save the labor?

As far as the EBC brake pads, theyr'e what I used for my 1st replacement on the rear, and they seem to work just fine. Might consider bleeding the brake lines at the same time to get the most bang for your buck.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Change the pads yourself if you feel you are being gouged. The mechanic does not have to remove the calipers to remove the wheels so it would be an extra step for them. When you do change the pads you should lightly scuff up the rotors with 400 grit paper then clean with brake clean spray. This will remove the contaminates from the old pads.
I thought you had to pull the caliper off of the rotor to remove the wheel from the bike. I guess I am looking at it all wrong.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

Kawasaki brand OEM brake pads are better than the EBC kevlar organics, I got my OEM pads from ronayers.com, when calling just give them the OEM pad numbers, changing pads is easy if you have tools, consider getting a bike lift and tools to remove the front and rear tires yourself and just bring the wheels to the dealer for new rubber, also consider changing pads yourself
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I thought you had to pull the caliper off of the rotor to remove the wheel from the bike. I guess I am looking at it all wrong.
The front is easier than the rear since the caliper is trailing the axle and you are removing the wheel away from the front of the bike while the rear caliper gets in the way so need to get the frame higher off the ground.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degreaser View Post
Kawasaki brand OEM brake pads are better than the EBC kevlar organics, I got my OEM pads from ronayers.com, when calling just give them the OEM pad numbers, changing pads is easy if you have tools, consider getting a bike lift and tools to remove the front and rear tires yourself and just bring the wheels to the dealer for new rubber, also consider changing pads yourself
I like doing my own work on certain tasks. Like I change my own oil, and coolant, change spark plugs. But without a stand changing tires just seemed logical for bike shop to do it. And besides I kind of like the idea of a mechanic listening to the bike and taking it for a spin to assure me everything sounds and performs well.

No matter what I will have to bleed the lines when I remove the pads. I think I read you have to loosten the brake line to rotate the caliper enough to change out the pads. Just a few squeezes and Im good to go. I'll check into the OEM pads today. I am scheduled to have the tires put on the bike tomorrow morning. 120 to change both tires and dispose of the old ones. 1.5hrs = 112.50, then 4 dollars per tire disposal. I think they charge 75 dollar and hour. I think I will just do the pads with them tomorrow to get it out of my hair. 75 for the pads, then 35 for labor. 110.00 dollars. So I will end up spending 225.00 total. And of course I had to pay 260.00 for the Metz 880's. Wow a lot of damn money.

I'm going to invest in a bike stand.

Thank you for your help.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degreaser View Post
ronayers.com does not seem to carry 43082 part number OEM brake pads for a 2006 Vulcan 900 classic.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

One final question, is 30 minutes an unreasonable amount of time for the bike shop to charge me for changing brake pads with the tires removed from the bike?

I cannot see it taking me longer than 15 minutes and they are the pros. So I am just wondering what other members experiences have been for shop time. I am not all that worried about 20 bucks. I just don't like to be bullshitted.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
One final question, is 30 minutes an unreasonable amount of time for the bike shop to charge me for changing brake pads with the tires removed from the bike?

I cannot see it taking me longer than 15 minutes and they are the pros. So I am just wondering what other members experiences have been for shop time. I am not all that worried about 20 bucks. I just don't like to be bullshitted.
Sounds MORE than reasonable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode