where to buy fuel injection plugs - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

where to buy fuel injection plugs

i was recently given a used cobra fi2000 along with a set of pipes. but i do not want to cut/splice/crimp into the factory wiring harness, and since it's essentially the exact same model as the fi2000r that you just plug in, i was thinking that maybe i could purchase the plugs that cobra uses, and make my fi2000 plug in like the fi2000r unit.

any idea where to get those plugs??? i'm guessing the plug that goes into the injector would be fairly easy to get through the dealer, but where would i get the end that goes into the harness since that plug is actually part of the fuel injector???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM

That would probably be something you'd have to discuss with Cobra,to see if it's even possible to do that,I don't think it is but I could be wrong.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTL Rider View Post
That would probably be something you'd have to discuss with Cobra,to see if it's even possible to do that,I don't think it is but I could be wrong.
already called cobra. they said they won't sell me just the plugs. the wiring is exactly the same, except on the fi2000 you have to splice it, and on the fi2000r, they make you pay extra for a plug in harness that does the exact same thing as you splicing it, but without having to cut the factory harness.

personally i hate cutting the factory harness. and since i got the processor for free i don't mind spending a couple bucks on the connectors to make my own harness.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 06:48 PM

If you have to splice,they make those "quick splice" connectors which work great.Just find the right wire and clamp it on ,connecting the wire from your processor...no tools needed.I have the fi2000r because I got it at a great price.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you have to splice,they make those "quick splice" connectors which work great.Just find the right wire and clamp it on ,connecting the wire from your processor...no tools needed.I have the fi2000r because I got it at a great price.
yes.....that's still cutting the insulation. that's where people end up getting corrosion in the wire and start having problems down the road and can't figure out what's wrong, when all along the cable is deteriorating because it's getting corrosion buildup there. which is why i will not cut any cables.

i'm a mechanic, and spend to much time fixing other peoples vehicles and finding damaged and corroded wiring to wanna come home and have to do it on mine. if i can install something without damaging any of the factory wiring, and can remove it and have just as clean of a harness as i did when i bought the bike, then i like to do it that way.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 PM

well then you need to get the fi2000r if you don't want to do any splicing then,because if you DO find some connectors,you'd be splicing those on to your fi2000,unless you solder and heat shrink
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Top Contributor

Garage

You should remember that in addition to plugging in the fi2000r into the injectors the old plugs plug into the fi2000r. The wiring is almost like a "T" so you would need male and female plugs for each injector...

Hope this helps.

-Vinny VROC #32287 - 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, Ness Big Sucker, Fi2000R, Cobra 2-into-1

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
well then you need to get the fi2000r if you don't want to do any splicing then,because if you DO find some connectors,you'd be splicing those on to your fi2000,unless you solder and heat shrink
ok let me try to explain this again............i do NOT want to cut the FACTORY HARNESS......and i'm just guessing here, but if this is a reply to me saying the bit about corrosion, etc..etc.., yes.......everything on this bike that I install, gets installed as waterproof as possible, or as waterproof as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckie453 View Post

You should remember that in addition to plugging in the fi2000r into the injectors the old plugs plug into the fi2000r. The wiring is almost like a "T" so you would need male and female plugs for each injector...

Hope this helps.
correct. i'll need 2 females (1 for each injector), and 2 males (1 for each factory harness injector end). looks like i may have possibly found a set of plugs online. still doing a bit more research hoping that i'm finding the right ones.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
NNNNOOOOOO!!!!! don't use them scotchlocks hate them for a couple reasons.

1. they peirce your wire so you ahve less connection from the get go.

2. They have no corrosion protection at all they have caused more issues than you can imagine.

I know you said you wouldn't use them but for the rest don't use them anywhere.

They aren't that different from automotive fuel injector plugs and I am fairly certain you can buy auto FI pigtails. But not sure about a female end.

You could always pin out the FI plugs find the matching pins and make a connection at the processor shrink wrap then put some new pins in your original plugs and plug them back in to your injectors.

08' 900 Classic solar indy yellow

Last edited by Ol'Yella; 04-11-2012 at 07:51 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Top Contributor

There may be better places to buy them, but a Google search for "fuel injector connectors" is an amazing thing.

Let me Google that for you.

Just start at the top of the page.

Last edited by whoaru99; 04-11-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode