OUCH! I had a wreck on/ / - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy OUCH! I had a wreck on/ /

I was riding my 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom yesterday and bit the dust. I was making a left hand turn on a paved road........going around 25 MPH.....(less than the speed limit).....and the bike slid out from under me like I had hit a sheet of ice!! Wow, that happened FAST! Luckily, I went left and slid on the pavement on my leather jacket and the bike went right and didn't land on me. I have a couple of bruises but all is well. Geico is coming out tomorrow to check out the bike. Once I get her fixed, I'll be back in the saddle again!! Just one of those things I guess!! All of you guys and gals out there be safe!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Top Contributor

Oil spot? Gravel? Sand? Damp? Although I've slipped a bit on those things, I've been lucky not to go down yet, and after a couple of slips, I've learned to spot 'em pretty durn quick! Sorry to hear ya went down, but glad it was minor! Now you've got it out of the way and can get back to miles o' smiles!

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Glad to hear you will be okay. Hopefully, not to much damage to be fixed? BTW, do you have crash or freeway bars? Just wondering if they help?

Heal up soon...

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Glad you're ok... Good you're getting back on the horse as soon as you can.

FWIW, my engine guard saved my foot in a slow speed tip over. I have the cobra unit.

-Vinny VROC #32287 - 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, Ness Big Sucker, Fi2000R, Cobra 2-into-1

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.

Last edited by truckie453; 04-11-2012 at 03:54 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Glad you're alright!

I'm interested on the crash bar thing too. Let us know!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Glad to hear you're okay.

09 Vulcan 900 classic, VROC #31898
I'm not afraid of heights but I hate gravity! ❦
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:38 PM

Glad to hear you didn't get beat up to bad, how bad is the bike? If you think of it ask the Rep about your coat and helmet. They may replace it or give you some $$ towards it as it is safety equip. Once a helmet bounces of pavement it's time to upgrade IMO.

08' 900 Classic solar indy yellow
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Regarding my Accident...

No, I don't have the crash bars on my bike. The road may have had some light oil deposits on it that I didn't see............I do know that cars speed around this particular curve. Perhaps the tires on these speeding cars have worn the asphalt down to a slick surface. Just an educated guess. I didn't stick around there to investigate. LOL Just wanted to shrug it off the best I could at the time and get the bike home..............it was still driveable. I truly appreciate all of your best wishes!! Good luck and good riding to all of you!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yella View Post
Glad to hear you didn't get beat up to bad, how bad is the bike? If you think of it ask the Rep about your coat and helmet. They may replace it or give you some $$ towards it as it is safety equip. Once a helmet bounces of pavement it's time to upgrade IMO.
Absolutely. A helmet should be replaced after a get off if there is even a remote chance it hit the ground. Even if there is no visible damage on the outside of it, the integrity of the helmet may be compromised and if (though hopefully not) this happens again, it could fail completely and fail to protect you. Some helmet manufacturers will gladly replace it after a wreck (or at a reduced rate). If you have accessory coverage with your MC insurance, it may cover it as well (mind does)

If the jacket had armor, it should be replaced (unless it's the soft foam kind). CE armor is 'one time use', but it's not that expensive. If the leather is in good shape without tears or scuffs it's perfectly fine to ride with. BUT, wouldn't hurt to see if they'll swap it for ya! (And again, ask the insurance adjuster, the jacket and helmet may be covered)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Same thing happened to me new years day. Was folllowing my brother, his slid, straightened up and slid again and went down. My slid and went down same place his did the second time. Him and I were ok, but my girlfriend spained her ankle, and my bike slid into his wife and broke her pelvis. We were only doing about 25 at the time. She walking now and doing good, ready to ride! Insurance paid for the helmets and all her leathers since they were cut off by EMCs. Glad you ok, and ready to ride again. David and I rode our bikes home, about 1/4 mile from the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode