traction question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
traction question

I tried to search on this topic; but did not find what I was looking for, so please forgive me it this has been done before.

I have twice lately experience what I am pretty sure is a loss of traction from the front tire.
The background info.
I got my motorcycle endorsement in October, and have put about 5k miles on my 09 VN900 LT.
There are about 2k miles on my Pirelli MT66s; inflated to 40 in the rear and 38 in the front.
My commute has two excellent opportunities to get a lot of lean on my bike, no debris, one way, pavement in good repair, good ability to see ahead. One is a 180deg turn to the left that has a very slight positive camber, I have been able to drag my board a couple of times @ about 45mph.
The other is a 270deg clover leaf highway entrance to the right. This one has a pretty significant positive camber and I have scraped my board one time.
Last week in the turn to the right my tires felt like they were on something wavy (not sure if that description makes sense), more in the front than the rear. I took it easy on the way home, and checked psi, tire wear, suspension travel, brake engagement; nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
I have put about two hundred miles on the bike since with no repeat; until today. Same clover leaf, same spot, about the same speed and the same wavy road feeling. This time I am 99% sure, it was the front tire losing traction.

My current hypothesis is that this stretch of road is getting hot and gooey. The asphalt is a very dark black; I cannot remember what the sun was like last week but today it is shining and in the 80s.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any and all advice is welcome; well any good intentioned advice is welcome.

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Top Contributor

I'd be willing to bet that it is the road surface, or something on it. When it is hot out, the sun can really heat up the asphalt and sometimes some of the oil in the asphalt will wick to the surface. If you see a spot where the surface appears darker than the surrounding pavement, that may be the case. If it's the surface itself, it could be that, due to the nature of the curve and the camber of the curve, heavier vehicular traffic may have forced a slight ripple on the surface of the asphalt due to the cars, trucks, etc., exerting higher sideward forces on the road surface while going around that curve. Heavy trucks can do this, especially! The result is when your motorcycle goes around that curve and encounters the "rippled" surface, the tires will start to hunt around at bit, much like riding over a steel grate bridge surface. Try negotiating that curve on a different place in your lane, if possible. The reason I say all this is because apparently, from how you describe it, this is the only place you encounter that problem.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:23 AM

I agree with Nomad. Sounds like what you are describing is a road surface "issue".

Just another joy of riding a scoot

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Thanks guys; I appreciate the input!
Road surface was my best guess. But, that feeling was enough to make me start asking.

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Sounds like a slick road to me too! Was it after a rain? Often times, after a good rain, there will be a lot of oil on the surface of the road that got 'washed up' if you will. As previously mentioned, heat can do the same thing.

Have fun! Good luck!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM

I have the Pirelli MT66's too and run the same pressures as you. I noticed the first few rides when put these tires on(ist time with Pirelli's) that the front tire seemed a bit"slicker" on low speed turns,but chaulked it up as running the higher pressure of 38 psi,or a road issue. I have 9,400 miles on the set now and havn't experienced that issue in a long time. Either I got used to it and reacted differently or I wasn't hitting the same roads/areas as before. Either way,give two thumbs up yo Pirelli's MT66 Route for traction on wet roads and for wear! I'll get'm again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode