Few newbie ques - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Few newbie ques

Hi;
Can you help me with following ..I did some random search within forum but could not find answer...

Just bought a 2007 Vulcan 900 custom yesterday with 5K miles (All stock). I did not test drive it before buying; There was no mechanical/engine problem (as stated by seller)..

I started it today and felt strong gas smell (during initial 5 min idling ), there's no excessive smoke from exhaust though...There was some water (which I think is ok), I drove around neighborhood and did not feel any thing unusual...although there was some click from engine head when it was idling (kind of same click you hear when engine is cooling down after tunrning off bike)..the clicks were random and usually 1 or 2 / min.
However, I still felt gas smell when i parked it after 5 min riding... so, the ques is that if it's normal for kawasaki's?
I previously owned honda 250cc back in school days and did not recall such thing with it..

also, how frequent coolant flush is required? I'm thinking to get oil/filter changed since it was done 2k mile ago (last summer)..but should i get coolant flushed too?

Is there any easy way to check if carb or fuel injection system is causing this gas smell?

thanks for your help..looking forward to learn more about it in coming days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Engine clicks, klacks, whoors, squeaks, and all kinds of noise are normal.

Gas smell would be normal during high idle phase, start up.

Coolant should be changed every 3 years, there is only 2 quarts so it goes bad quicker.

Oil change would be good idea just to start out fresh.

Also get some SEAFOAM, 5 oz's in full tank will clean the injectors and decarbon the engine.

Give us more info on your bike.

It is fuel injected. Some run rich at stock.
is it stock
what mods are done
what gas milage are you getting. No excuse for just bought, ran a tank through mine in two days.

Help us to help you.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Top Contributor

Before riding one more inch, go to the Kawasaki web site and enter your vin # to see if the fuel leak recall affects your bike!
Bike should NEVER smell of fuel, hot, cold or otherwise.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM

If you had an open air cleaner and/or fuel processor on the bike I would point in that direction(other than the obvious sight of a fuel leak) But since it's completely stock and you don't notice a leak from hoses or tank, do As sfair stated,I would goto the website and check your vin# for recall issue. I recall them having one for something of that nature,my '06 classic was not affected when I checked.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee_vulcand View Post
Hi;
Can you help me with following ..I did some random search within forum but could not find answer...

Just bought a 2007 Vulcan 900 custom yesterday with 5K miles (All stock). I did not test drive it before buying; There was no mechanical/engine problem (as stated by seller)..

I started it today and felt strong gas smell (during initial 5 min idling ), there's no excessive smoke from exhaust though...There was some water (which I think is ok), I drove around neighborhood and did not feel any thing unusual...although there was some click from engine head when it was idling (kind of same click you hear when engine is cooling down after tunrning off bike)..the clicks were random and usually 1 or 2 / min.
However, I still felt gas smell when i parked it after 5 min riding... so, the ques is that if it's normal for kawasaki's?
I previously owned honda 250cc back in school days and did not recall such thing with it..

also, how frequent coolant flush is required? I'm thinking to get oil/filter changed since it was done 2k mile ago (last summer)..but should i get coolant flushed too?

Is there any easy way to check if carb or fuel injection system is causing this gas smell?

thanks for your help..looking forward to learn more about it in coming days
Behind the engine there is a fuel separator valve that allows the fuel vapor to leave the tank. You will find a small hose from it hanging down in front of the control arm where the vapor exits into the atmosphere. You may notice a slight dampness around the hose form the vapor. When you inspect it you should not see and fuel leakage around the valve or any thing other than vapor leaving the hose under the bike. If in doubt talk to an experienced Bike tech.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel seperator2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	10194  

Last edited by mdsimon80; 04-11-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: update
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

thankyou

Thank you all for your helpful tips and insight. I checked the hose as per your instruction...there was no dampness.

I will add seafoam and run one tank to clear up engine.

I checked kawasaki website for recall and found following:

Outstanding Recall Repair:FUEL HOSE INSPECTION
Outstanding Recall Repair:REPLACEMENT FUEL TANK INSPECT AND REPLACE

I do not know if it's done by previous owner..I'll try to trace him back to see if he got it done.

Its all stock...I'm planning to start mod by changing pipes...do share where I can find a good deal for them...( I was thinking V&H)..

Thank you once again~
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Top Contributor

I would think that a Kawasaki dealer should be able to tell you if the recall has been done by your vin #.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee_vulcand View Post
Thank you all for your helpful tips and insight. I checked the hose as per your instruction...there was no dampness.

I will add seafoam and run one tank to clear up engine.

I checked kawasaki website for recall and found following:

Outstanding Recall Repair:FUEL HOSE INSPECTION
Outstanding Recall Repair:REPLACEMENT FUEL TANK INSPECT AND REPLACE

I do not know if it's done by previous owner..I'll try to trace him back to see if he got it done.

Its all stock...I'm planning to start mod by changing pipes...do share where I can find a good deal for them...( I was thinking V&H)..

Thank you once again~
Welcome to this forum. Feel free to ask away about anything concerning you with your new ride. There are no dumb questions.
There are three hoses that connect to your fuel tank. One accessable from the left side has a quick disconnect fitting, another goes up to the upper right side of the tank and the third is under the right side about in the middle. Turn on the ignition to allow the fuel pump to prime and feel around those hoses for anything damp. Use a flashlight if you have one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode