Crooked front fender! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Crooked front fender!

This may have already been beat to death on some older threads, but I'm new so bare with me.
I bought my 09 900 with 1200 miles on it used from the second owner. Nope no damage anywhere, this bike is still like new. I have noticed that the front fender is very crooked left to right. It has a much larger spacing on the front right of the fender and it sits almost too close to the tire on the left, the rear of the front fender is of course the opposite.
I saw a 2012 VN900 on the showroom floor at a local dealer and it had the exact same issue.
I have almost totally fixed the problem by removing the fender and tisting it a bit, and then going to town on the mounting bracket with some wood and a rubber mallet. It still isn't perfect but it might just fit a 90/90-21 if I choose to upgrade later.
Does anyone elese have this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 PM

I just checked, and though I've never noticed it until you mentioned it, my '08's front fender is a bit off, though not to the degree that you indicate yours was at. Mine is more like a 60/40 split in the spacing on each side (where 50/50 would be perfectly even spacing).

( Used to have: )
'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
*Passion Red *Mustang One-Piece Vintage Seat
*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

yup they are all a lil off centered on the 900 custom....

oh and take a look and you will notice that your right and left mirrors are different as well....take a look at the part where the mirror head attaches to the stem.....notice that the lil nub that extends past the mount is a fair bit longer on one side !!!!!....again unique to the custom and not the classic

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have adverage sized finger and couldnt get the tip of my little finger inbetween the fender and the tire on the close sides.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtrCity View Post
I have adverage sized finger and couldnt get the tip of my little finger inbetween the fender and the tire on the close sides.
That's significantly more off-centered than mine. Glad to hear you're addressing the issue.

( Used to have: )
'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
*Passion Red *Mustang One-Piece Vintage Seat
*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
yup they are all a lil off centered on the 900 custom....

oh and take a look and you will notice that your right and left mirrors are different as well....take a look at the part where the mirror head attaches to the stem.....notice that the lil nub that extends past the mount is a fair bit longer on one side !!!!!....again unique to the custom and not the classic
I just looked at that, probably would have never noticed it. These are probably acceptable defects that would cost Kawasaki too much profit to retool. So they just go with it and in keeping it the same for years it ends up being "just the way it is".
Oh well these bikes look and ride better than most if not all in its price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode