post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
More stator issues

Hey all,

I just swapped my stator with a Ricks Motorsports model. Rode it today, and when I got to my destination it was dead. I'm getting NOTHING out of the stator. Voltage doesn't increase a lick when it starts.

So where should I look first? Connections were soldered, but I will check those next week when I have time to look at it. Anything else to look at?

Boy this is frustrating.

Thanks,

John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Top Contributor

Did you check your reg/rect?
Certain stator failures can take out the reg/rect.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 06:32 PM

Garage
sfair will be able to talk you through it.

He talked me through my problems and I learned alot about the bike! I'm willing to bet that the stator is ok but you should run through the test. My problem was similar to yours but my old stator had also burnt out a main relay (ECU??). Good luck!!

dum vita est spes est - While there's life, there's hope

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Okay sfair, how do I test the regulator?

Also, my fiancées father is an electrician and he had a $500 fluke brand meter that has just been calibrated. After riding 12 miles the voltage key-on was 12.41, idling was 12.36 with no change (at all) through 5,000 rpm's or so. He suggested battery corrosion so I used sandpaper on the terminals and connections to make sure that was clean. I've got it idling now, gonna let it idle for a while and see if it starts after idling it with the high beams on for a while.

-John

Edit: perhaps worth mentioning, I only had a bad stator on it for a week. Rode in a thunderstorm, next day lights were surging and I was kidding an alien sound from the left side. So, I've read these forums long enough, I ordered a ricks stator the next day and within a week it and a new gasket came in. Swapped them out. Stator was bad, but didn't look nearly as bad as some I've seen pictures of. Not sure if that matters, but there ya go.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Top Contributor

First, check the AC output and short to ground of the new stator as a bad regulator can take out a stator, too.
It can be a vicious circle. Whenever one is replaced, the other MUST be checked before the engine is run.
If you have access to an analog meter, it will work better for the reg/rect tests, but a Fluke will do in a pinch.

Post back.
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Forgive my newbiness sfair,

HOW do I check the AC? Im an absolute newbie to this. I need step by step

Thanks for your time and patience,

John

post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Forgive my newbiness sfair,

HOW do I check the AC? Im an absolute newbie to this. I need step by step

Thanks for your time and patience,

John
No problem, but first the lecture. Always troubleshoot a problem to determine the fault rather than just replacing parts. The shotgun method usually results in a wallet that is much lighter and a bike that is not repaired. There are lots of folks here that can help you out with any questions.

Step by step is what you shall receive.

Do you have access to an analog meter? That is prefered.
If not, post back with the make and model # of the meter that you will be using, whether it be digital or analog.
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
No problem, but first the lecture. Always troubleshoot a problem to determine the fault rather than just replacing parts. The shotgun method usually results in a wallet that is much lighter and a bike that is not repaired. There are lots of folks here that can help you out with any questions.

Step by step is what you shall receive.

Do you have access to an analog meter? That is prefered.
If not, post back with the make and model # of the meter that you will be using, whether it be digital or analog.
Thanks for the advice!

The stator was definitely bad, it was burnt up. But I should have checked the regulator before running it

Just out of curiosity (as I'm trying to learn), what is the advantage of an analog meter?

He actually has 3 fluke multimeters (and a handful of other load testers and multi-thousand-volt-thingamajigs that he uses for work). I don't recall seeing an analog one in there. The one I was using was a Fluke 87V.

Thanks for the help!

Quick update;

Rode it home, 41 miles. Ran fine all the way home but towards the end the headlights started to get progressively dimmer. Wouldn't start once I was home.

SO;

I charged the battery to "81%" according to a digital charger my bro in law had. Rode it to my Fiancee's house 12 miles. Then, cleaned the corrosion with sandpaper, and idled it for 30 minutes with high beams on, shut it off, started back up. Then, rode it home 41 miles, finally- dead.

I know you're going to kill me for not testing the regulator first , but it is what it is and that's what I did. So, I dunno, just bouncing this off of you- doesn't that seem more like (and yes, yes, I will test it) like a regulator, like, it's getting SOME juice but not enough? Seems odd for the battery to last THAT long before it dying, doesn't it? Is it possible to exhibit those symptoms if, say, one or two of those white connections was loose or poorly soldered? I've never had an issue soldering before, I like to think I'm pretty good at, but that's far from me being able to rule out my own incompetence as to why this isn't working

REALLY crossing my fingers that it's the regulator and whatever test you tell me to do reveals that. I don't wanna dive into that engine again, drain the oil AGAIN, have to buy more oil AGAIN, etc. etc. Although, I suppose I could re-solder the connections without cracking the inner cover... I dunno.

Thanks sfair. Lemme know!

John

post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Top Contributor

Digital meters work good to measure ohms in a purely resistive setting, but mix in some active and capacitive components and the display can, at times, dance around a bit. An analog meter does not tend to do this.
I will post your first test shortly. You are using the Fluke 87V? (very nice meter)
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Digital meters work good to measure ohms in a purely resistive setting, but mix in some active and capacitive components and the display can, at times, dance around a bit. An analog meter does not tend to do this.
I will post your first test shortly. You are using the Fluke 87V? (very nice meter)
Yessir. I wouldn't know the difference between that and two leads attached to an automotive light bulb but.. yeah it's nice! Like I said he has three other fluke meters so... he may have another model that can do whatever it is you're needing it to do.

(Crossing my fingers...)

Oh, and is it possible to test the R/R OFF the bike? He's 41 miles away I COULD ride out there with whatever is going on going on, but I'd prefer not to. I may have an el-cheap-o meter hiding around here...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode