Metallic Flat Spark Black - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Metallic Flat Spark Black

Hello everyone. I just took possession of a bran new 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom SE. I live on a gravel road and this bike, like all things, seems to attract dust. Can someone clue me in on some cleaning supplies and possibly some kind of detail spray that I can use on the flat and glossy bits of the bike? I have chrome polish and regular polish and waxes for paint but have nothing used to care for flat finishes.

Also. I have, and sometimes use, some self drying soap and rinse. Would this be OK to use on the bike or would the self drying agents cause issue with the flat paint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 PM

Reset. I also have the 2010 se, and have the same problem as you do, I use a regular spray wax on the glossy parts and just leave the flat alone, other than soap and water. When it gets dusty I'll just wipe it down gently with wet lint free rag.

But I was curious last year and applied thin coat of wax to the front fender just to see. It gave it like a satin finish I guess, and I kind of liked it so I did the whole bike, looked nice. (Also was the spray wax.)

And I have looked for waxes for dull finishes but have yet to find anything. But maybe someone on the thread knows of something or a trick or 2.!! There's gotta be something out there.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 PM

I regularly use Meguiar's Quik(mist and wipe) Detailer on my bike.Good on chrome,plastic and paint and really makes the bike look like you just washed/waxed it.Except for getting caught up in the rain while riding,my bike hasn't seen soap and water in over a year. Just use a few lint free cleaning cloths.I used to wash,wax and polish the whole bike,but got tired of spending three hrs doing it.This stuff works great and really makes the bike look good.You can pretty much get it at any anywhere....Walmart,Autozone,etc. You should be fine with using it on all parts of your bike(I do and have no issues) but if there's a concern about certain paint types just contact them at meguiars.com When I do actually wash the bike I use S100 (s100.com) which can be found at any motorcycle dealer. You just spray your entire bike with it then immediately start rinsing with hose.DO NOT let it dry on the bike as you'll have white streaks. RINSE RINSE RINSE with this stuff after you have covered the bike with it,and when you think you have done enough rinsing,rinse some more. You still will have to towel dry it,but it takes most of the hand scrubbing effort out of it. They have a tire cleaner too which works pretty well.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 AM

I also use Meguire's Detail Spray. I love the stuff! Safe for all of the bike. Windshield, seat, paint, chrome, everything. I use 2 rags. I use the blue microfiber towels from Walmart. First one cleans, second does the final wipe. I get lots of comments on how great my bike looks.

2012 Nomad 1700
Cobra Luggage Rack
Airlite Crash Bar Chaps
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just to be sure. You guys using Meguire's detail spray have the flat paint on your bikes?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 03:21 PM

No I don't think they have flat paint like we do. I have looked on this site for info on how to keep it clean without shining it up. Didn't find much most people that have our paint just soap and water that's what I do anything with wax will shine it up
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 04:57 PM

Yeah u guys can correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that detail spray leave a shine? We're looking for, or atleast I am, something with the properties of wax that'll help protect the paint but will still leave our flat look there.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 05:29 PM

I'm still looking for something like that haven't found anything yet if anybody has let me know I'm sure there is a lot of us that would use it
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found this but I think it is for matte finish only, I would really like something that can do matte, gloss and maybe even chrome.

http://www.drbeasleys.com/matte-paint-prescription.html
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 PM

yeah,not sure with the flat paint.Contact Meguiers,the may have something for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode