Amsoil motorcycle oil, How long is it really good for? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Amsoil motorcycle oil, How long is it really good for?

Hey guys I have been racking my brain about my first oil change on my Vulcan 900 classic.

I purchased this bike with 12,000 miles on it from a dealer that bought it from an auction.

I'm not sure what oil the previous owner used, and I am debating on whether or not I should go with amsoil.

What is racking my brain the most is that I don't plan on riding more than 3,000 miles per year. I understand Amsoil is good for 25,000 miles a year although the filter is only rated for 15,000. What my problem is, does the oil simply breakdown after one year? Is it important to change the oil every year even if I only put 500-3000 miles on the bike in the entire year?

I am thinking it's not really important to spend 70 bucks for oil and filter if I am only riding 3k or less.

I was hoping to get some opinions. I want to take good car of my new ride, but I want to cover all these questions before I put amsoil in the bike, and am stuck continuing with amsoil for the foreseeable future.

Is there a way to tell if the bike has synthetic oil in it already, maybe the previous owner already used amsoil, I just don't have any of these answers due to how I purchased the bike.

I have put about 100 miles on the bike as is. The battery is strong, and it runs great. But I don't know how long it has sat. 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic. 12,000 miles.

Open for advise or opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Hey Tommy, take a sample of that oil thats in your machine aprox. 1 oz. about 30 milliletres in small see thru container like liquid medicine dispencer, stick in the freezer for 20-45 minutes. If it gets thick (viscosity) dino oil,if it pours smooth its syn...
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM

Use any motorcycle oil you feel happy with, and one of the forum members wrote AutoZone now has four quarts of full synthetic MC oil; your choice of Mobil1, Valvoline, or Castrol motorcycle oil AND a Fram MC filter for $34.99+ tax. Always change your oil and filter before putting it up for the winter every year.

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitt View Post
Hey Tommy, take a sample of that oil thats in your machine aprox. 1 oz. about 30 milliletres in small see thru container like liquid medicine dispencer, stick in the freezer for 20-45 minutes. If it gets thick (viscosity) dino oil,if it pours smooth its syn...
Great advice, and if it is synthetic than I want to keep using synthetic right?
See I was worried about this when I was thinking about bringing it to our local stealership, they use the standard oil that the manual recommends, I don't think they would tell me if it had synthetic in the bike already they would just change it out. IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty360 View Post
Use any motorcycle oil you feel happy with, and one of the forum members wrote AutoZone now has four quarts of full synthetic MC oil; your choice of Mobil1, Valvoline, or Castrol motorcycle oil AND a Fram MC filter for $34.99+ tax. Always change your oil and filter before putting it up for the winter every year.
I unfortunately don't have a Autozone in my town, there is a Oreilly, and Napa. Small town.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Our local O'reilly prices:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...y=1&results=40

Ouch!!!!

zip code 97058
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:03 AM

Tommy, ya should be able to run complete syn or a dino-syn. blend with no problem or straight dino. I have been a grease monkey seen alot of engines that used both syn. and dino.The only problem that I have noticed is some engine weeping on older bikes, that syn. can find its way around gaskets (weeping) I think todays machines can handle that extreme slip factor that only a quality syn. has. 20 wieght mobil one comes to mine...
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitt View Post
Tommy, ya should be able to run complete syn or a dino-syn. blend with no problem or straight dino. I have been a grease monkey seen alot of engines that used both syn. and dino.The only problem that I have noticed is some engine weeping on older bikes, that syn. can find its way around gaskets (weeping) I think todays machines can handle that extreme slip factor that only a quality syn. has. 20 wieght mobil one comes to mine...
I want to change my oil this weekend. But that means I have to buy locally and prices are terrible locally. Small town. What do the stealerships usually use?

I can get the 10w40 Mobli 1 for 11.00 dollars a quart locally. Seems prices are really high right now. I could get amsoil online oil and filter for under 70.00 dollars.

Decision, decisions.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Found some prices:

Local O'reilly:

Mobil 1 on sale 8.99 a quart x 4 = 36.00

Then I have a choice of filters:

Fram 5.99
Wic 11.99

Total oil change with Wic and Mobil 1 = 48.00 dollars.

And I can do it today. So I think I will go with that, unless someone deters me.

Or I could order amsoil right now and have it by the middle of next week for around 67.50 total.

Are the Wic filters any good?

You know I think I figured this out for myself. I only plan on riding in the 1-3,000 mile range all year. So I cannot imagine why I would waste my money on amsoil. If I were to ride 15,000+ amsoil all the way. But Mobil 1 for my mileage seems logical. Thanks guys

Last edited by tommyarmour; 04-06-2012 at 11:38 AM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyarmour View Post
I want to change my oil this weekend. But that means I have to buy locally and prices are terrible locally. Small town. What do the stealerships usually use?

I can get the 10w40 Mobli 1 for 11.00 dollars a quart locally. Seems prices are really high right now. I could get amsoil online oil and filter for under 70.00 dollars.

Decision, decisions.
The dealer is most likely going to put in the OEM-branded oil. Mineral/dino oil, unless you specify synthetic. I think most bike OEMs brand a synthetic these days too.

Bear in mind that my VN2K isn't your VN900, but the oil change spec for the VN2K is 7,500 miles or 12 months, which ever comes first, and that is with plain old dino oil. Manufacturers typically do not give extended service interval numbers for using synthetic, but I do know of at least one that does. Allison transmission. In fact, with Allison transmission, you can't get their extended warranty unless you use synthetic fluid meeting their spec.

For 1000-3000 miles per year I'd probably just stick with dino oil.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

My first oil change on my 06 Vulcan 900 Classic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode