FuelPak Help/Advice - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

FuelPak Help/Advice

I'll try to be brief. I made a post in the "general" section about my mpg's being lower than I would like (in the 30's consistently). I bought the '07 Custom a year ago used, and it came with V&H slashcut staggered pipes and FuelPak. I added a High Flow air filter.

The consensus from that post was to go back to stock air filter and remove fuelpak to gain back some mpg's. I called V&H tech support and they said instead of removing the fuelpak I could set modes 1-18 to zero, mode 23 to 30, then turn off the handlebar kill switch. Doing this takes the bike back to stock.

I did as they suggested, and took the bike out for a ride, and now the engine kind of sputters or hiccups, like it wants to die. It is only for a split second, and it is not happening constantly, just every so often. Needless to say, it bothers the heck out of me! So I put back in the old mapping, and the engine runs great, problem is gone.

What I'm wondering is if setting the fuelpak to "stock" is truly bypassing the fuelpak and only using the kawasaki ECU, or if it is just mimicking the stock processor. I'm tempted to remove it completely, but if the engine is going to have that hiccup, then I'll keep it on.

Has anyone else tried "turning off" the fuelpak and had any issues? Should I totally remove it? I'm not very confident in my mechanical skills, and I can't afford the $99/hr that the local shop would charge. I'd be willing to supply some beer or something if a local DFW friend could help me remove it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:36 PM

OK I am a power commander guy, but some things don't change.
Are we talking 37-39, or 32-34 range. 39 could be close on some setups.
You say you added a high flow air filter, in the stock air breather, or an aftermarket air kit.

I do know a fuel modifier takes the signal that comes from the ecu, adds, or some subtracts, fuel based on some formula and then sends it on to the injector. So setting all of the modes to zero should negate any changes, Power commander is the same.

The rough start and stalling, when you turned it to zero, are very likely to be a lean condition.
Was the millage that bad with or without the high flow filter.

Noticed one other thing you may want check the Throttle Sensor Adjustment, that gets of on the PC sometimes

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside

Last edited by Bytehead; 04-02-2012 at 03:11 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehead View Post
OK I am a power commander guy, but some things don't change.
Are we talking 37-39, or 32-34 range. 39 could be close on some setups.
You say you added a high flow air filter, in the stock air breather, or an aftermarket air kit.

I do know a fuel modifier takes the signal that comes from the ecu, adds, or some subtracts, fuel based on some formula and then sends it on to the injector. So setting all of the modes to zero should negate any changes, Power commander is the same.

The rough start and stalling, when you turned it to zero, are very likely to be a lean condition.
Was the millage that bad with or without the high flow filter.
32-36 on a 900 mile trip last weekend. I had the high flow air filter in the stock air breather. The best I've ever gotten has been around 38-39, when I had stock air filter. I'm jealous of everyone else who talk about getting in the 40-50+ mpg, even with modifications. I would rather get the fuel efficiency benefit over the performance benefit of the fuelpak, and high flow filter.

When set to zero, it starts up fine and it doesn't stall, but briefly feels like it wants to. If this is caused by a lean condition, as you mention, is a fuel processor the only way around this? I don't want to take the tank off and remove the fuelpak if it is going to run rough. I would even consider going back to stock pipes, but don't want to spend the money now (unless I can get some used). I appreciate your input and any other advice you may have.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Did this 900 mile trip involve a lot of wrist twisting and.

Did you have to get ethanol when you don't normal use it.

What are your idle rpms set at, that may the the starting issue with the zero map. Should be above 900.

The settings you are using, are they the same as the web site.

Without knowing what the modes represent it is hard to tell, and cant I find any info on function specs.

I get 40 - 42 and all the way down the road.
I think you will find the people that get north of 47mpg have very little desire to turn the throttle much or quickly. Stock I only got 46, ethanol gas.

Stick with the fuelpack with stock air box settings and this will pass.

Or someone with a fuelpack can help.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode