How easily does your bike start? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

How easily does your bike start?

This is a new bike to me and being fuel injected I'd have though it would start first push off the button when cold. It usually needs a couple of goes for it to fire up & then it will be fine. I do wait for the injector indicator light to turn off before trying to start. Do the injectors need a bit of a jolt to get going & is this normal for the vulcan? My wife's v-star has a carby & will start at first pop when cold with the choke on. I use premium fuel (98 ron).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 PM

mine fires right up. it was low 30's here this morn I had to wipe the frost off the seat and mirrors when I left for work. When I first got it it started hard but the P.O. had made a air filter out of car filter material and packed it tight as a deck of cards, drilled holes all over the pipes and had the air by-pass screws tightened right down.

08' 900 Classic solar indy yellow
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawlty99 View Post
This is a new bike to me and being fuel injected I'd have though it would start first push off the button when cold. It usually needs a couple of goes for it to fire up & then it will be fine. I do wait for the injector indicator light to turn off before trying to start. Do the injectors need a bit of a jolt to get going & is this normal for the vulcan? My wife's v-star has a carby & will start at first pop when cold with the choke on. I use premium fuel (98 ron).
My 900 starts on the second revolution of the engine. You are correct it should start quickly.
We need more info.
Does the starter motor turn over very fast, or slow.
Do you have a volt meter or can you get one, check the voltage on the battery before and after starting. Low voltage will prevent the injectors from firing properly.
Is the bike used, could there be a fuel module, what mods are there.

Just a little more info if you please

Oh and pic's are need for proof.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM

Very easily; it always starts on the first try.

( Used to have: )
'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
*Passion Red *Mustang One-Piece Vintage Seat
*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2013

Send a message via Yahoo to slumberjer
Mine start on the first jolt. But todayI need two or three times to start. From my battery monitor it seems the voltage is quite low. Time to replace the battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumberjer View Post
Mine start on the first jolt. But todayI need two or three times to start. From my battery monitor it seems the voltage is quite low. Time to replace the battery.
Since you are in the market, check out the technology that is available. Pricey, but in my opinion is worth it. Just got one and and will never miss the cost.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...ATTERY+LITHIUM

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM

Mine always starts right up, regardless of temp. So much better than my old carburated. I don't miss those days at all!
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 PM

I just press the button, and mine's running. But I haven't tried it in really cold weather, because I don't ride below freezing any more. A little Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam can't hurt, and may do some good.

Grandpa
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Coldest mornings (20F), chugga-chugga-fire; warm mornings or restarts, touch and she fires right over. I always let the pump prime the injector system and the fast idle go through its motions before I hit the starter.

2006 VN900 Classic LT - Red and Black
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Unlike most folks, my 9' takes a few turns before it fires up. Then, it takes a few seconds to get to humming good. But once it is, it runs like a champ. It used to fire right up untill I installed a fuel processor, pipes and air cleaner. If I took it all off, I think it would most likely fire right up like everyone else.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode