Battery Tender 081-0069-8 Female Cigarette Adaptor for Quick Disconnect - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Battery Tender 081-0069-8 Female Cigarette Adaptor for Quick Disconnect

Anyone tried this product. Would use to power my Garmin Nuvi. I assume powering the Garmin would not use too much power from the battery on my Vulcan 900 Custom. I already have the Battery Tender connectors connected to the battery.

On Amazon.com

Last edited by VulcanJohn; 03-27-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Update and link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanJohn View Post
Anyone tried this product. Would use to power my Garmin Nuvi. I assume powering the Garmin would not use too much power from the battery on my Vulcan 900 Custom. I already have the Battery Tender connectors connected to the battery.

On Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
I think the battery tender uses a 3 volt fuse and the adapter might need a 12 volt fuse... Not too sure but you might want to look into that.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Blind men don't fear snakes in the grass...

V & H Slash Cut Staggered
ISO Grips, Pegs, Stiletto End Caps
Irate Customs Radiator and Regulator Grill
Kuryakyn Bullet Tail Lights
Clear Tail Lense
Swing Arm Bag
Front Tool Bag
Clear Turn Signals
Cobra Headlight Visor
Avon 230/60 15 Roadrunner
LA Choppers Lowering Kit

More to come...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

that should work fine ... for a permanent fix heres another option, just runs under the tank direct to the battery.

http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?partID=213929

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 03-27-2012 at 05:45 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Smile Thanks for the responses

This is truly one of the great resources on the web. Thankful these forums exist.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 06:57 PM

VulcanJohn.
Yes the battery tender connection will work, not for a cigarette lighter. The fuse on the tender pig tail is 3 amp, don't ask how I know. The unit is designed to recharge cell phones or power a gps nothing of higher amperage.

However I am with Whiting57 about the Kury, Looks great and supplies 10 amps of power.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehead View Post
VulcanJohn.
Yes the battery tender connection will work, not for a cigarette lighter. The fuse on the tender pig tail is 3 amp, don't ask how I know. The unit is designed to recharge cell phones or power a gps nothing of higher amperage.

However I am with Whiting57 about the Kury, Looks great and supplies 10 amps of power.
This will only be used to power a GPS. The GPS has an estimated run time of 2 hours on battery which should get me to the location. The power plug for the GPS connects normally to the car cigarette outlet and the GPS power plug has a removable fuse contained within it. The main concern was whether the GPS would consume too much power and drain the battery even while running the bike as the MOM said could happen. The GPS will not be connected unless the bike is running. Doing a search on this topic in the forums revealed that people were doing this on a Vulcan 500 with no issues.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
This will only be used to power a GPS. The GPS has an estimated run time of 2 hours on battery which should get me to the location. The power plug for the GPS connects normally to the car cigarette plug and the GPS power plug has a removable fuse contained within it. The main concern was whether the GPS would consume too much power and drain the battery even while running the bike as the MOM said could happen. The GPS will not be connected unless the bike is running. Doing a search on this topic in the forums revealed that people were doing this on a Vulcan 500 with no issues.

A GPS will not draw enough power to even be noticed. I run my GPS plugged in to the battery, thru my KURY power point of course, and save the internal battery for later.
MOM is talking about Heated gear or extra lights that draw large amounts of power to generate heat or light. These units can draw over 100 watts to use and can drain the battery at full run. If you look at the GPS I would bet the power rating is in milliamps, less than 1 watt. I believe mine is 5 volts at 340 milliamps.
Just keep in mind, YOU ONLY HAVE 70 EXTRA WATTS OF POWER. Stay below that and you are good, or get creative and lower the stock power use.
Just in case WATTS=VOLTS X AMPS.

Ride safe.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 01:03 PM

I run a heated vest in the winter on a Battery Tender pigtail and I've never had any problems. You should be just fine running something as small as a GPS.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I just got my Battery Tender cigarette plug. It says not to use without a Battery Tender fused connection. The GPS plug has a fuse in it. I do not have the Battery Tender accessory plug with fuse. Will this be an issue?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Top Contributor

Fuse

Quote:
I just got my Battery Tender cigarette plug. It says not to use without a Battery Tender fused connection. The GPS plug has a fuse in it. I do not have the Battery Tender accessory plug with fuse. Will this be an issue?
I would not connect anything directly to the battery without a fuse someplace in the circuit. Fuses are there for the protection of the overall health of the bikes electrical system.

I have the Kury acc. socket and it comes with a fuse in the wiring harness. The Battery tender I purchased also has a fuse in line. I run my Garmin Nuvi (cord has a fuse in it) through the acc socket (so it's in effect fused twice). The Kury acc. socket is not in a switched circuit. I've left my Nuvi plugged in for several days, turned off, bike not run, with no noticable drain on the bikes battery. The Nuvi current draw is too small to be an issue. I've have used my Nuvi, turned on, for hours on the bike with no problem.

JMHO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode