Probably Stupid... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Probably Stupid...

Last weekend I took a long trip; from Houston to Lafayette La and some of the surrounding area. The night before I took off I did a check up on my bike. Tire pressure, oil...whatever I could think of.

I looked at the brake fluid reservoir, and noticed that I could not see the level of the fluid. So I opened it and noticed a rubber seal across the reservoir. I touched it with my key and saw the level of fluid seemed OK, so I closed it. I had a brief moment of doubt, then fired up the bike and checked the brakes. Everything seemed fine.

The next morning I took off, and made sure to test the brakes a few times. They worked fine, and continued to work fine the whole day. (It was awesome! I left home around 0630 Saturday, made my trip and visits and got back home to Houston around 0130 Sunday morning.)

The following Monday I rode the bike to work (about 65 miles round trip) and again, everything worked fine.

But now I am wondering...did I possibly do something wrong? (OK, I know it is late to be asking, but the thought just occurred to me)

Thanks,
Rod

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Zhaan)
OEM Windshield, Crashbars, Sissybar
OEM Slim Saddlebags
Crampbuster throttle control
Wagner BP1210/H4 headlight & 2357LL taillight
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

no harm done
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Nah. I usually like to wipe off the fluid reservoir before I put it back on to prevent dirt from getting into it, but once won't kill ya.

What did the fluid look like? If it was clear, it's perfect, if it was faint yellow, it was okay. Anything darker than that (orange/brown) then it's time for a fluid change!

After changing my fluid, it's clear enough you can't see inside the reservoir at all anyway, so no biggie.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Top Contributor

Dont take it so hard on your self, it's a learning process that we all have to do
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Nah. I usually like to wipe off the fluid reservoir before I put it back on to prevent dirt from getting into it, but once won't kill ya.

What did the fluid look like? If it was clear, it's perfect, if it was faint yellow, it was okay. Anything darker than that (orange/brown) then it's time for a fluid change!

After changing my fluid, it's clear enough you can't see inside the reservoir at all anyway, so no biggie.
The fluid is very clear. That is the reason I took the cap off in the first place, it was so clear that the reservoir seemed empty. But I did wipe the cap clean before I put it back on (the cap actually tells you to do this).

Thanks for all the advice.

Rod

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Zhaan)
OEM Windshield, Crashbars, Sissybar
OEM Slim Saddlebags
Crampbuster throttle control
Wagner BP1210/H4 headlight & 2357LL taillight
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version