Would it be POSSIBLE to convert the 900 to dual disc? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Would it be POSSIBLE to convert the 900 to dual disc?

Hey all,

So my future mods for the bike (way down the road) involve adding some weight. Maybe even a trailer (like good ol' Whiting57's bike). The 900 has the power to do it, I'm confident in that (no it's not a hot rod, but it's no slouch either). But I'm not as confident in the brakes.

So my question is, has anyone ever looked into, or successfully added a second front brake? My 'I don't know what I'm doing' theory is, that you could take a different master cylinder (say, the one off of the 1600/1700/2K?), and run the second line down to a second caliper mounted on the opposite side of the wheel somehow.

Just a thought, curious if anyone had done that before. When a stronger front brake I think this bike would be absolutely perfect. (Well, and exiling the seat to a desert island forever)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 PM

I would love to have the dual front disk. Just went on a 350 mile ride Saturday and had to panic brake twice for idiots. The stock brakes and pads have a lot of bite once they get some heat in them and enough pressure is used. But I am the kind to ease into the front brake, not jam it on. Easing in doesn't do much as I would like. Maybe a better quality set of pads in the front before the expense of a dual system? Sintered or kevlar? Cheaper and easier to try.

2006 VN900 Classic LT - Red and Black
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM
V2K Rogue Wrangler

Wow! A single front disc brake on the 900's! I had no idea! For that reason alone I could never recommend anybody to buy one. It would be awesome if someone could figure out how to put another disc on the front and market it. They could probably make a lot of money!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw-poke View Post
Wow! A single front disc brake on the 900's! I had no idea! For that reason alone I could never recommend anybody to buy one. It would be awesome if someone could figure out how to put another disc on the front and market it. They could probably make a lot of money!
Well the thing is, especially in an emergency situation, it can handle it. It'll lock up no problem. BUT, it takes a bit of a squeeze. I think dual front disc would make it that much better by allowing you to brake with less pressure.

I don't think it's unsafe though. Remember it's also a very light bike.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Would be nice to have dual front disc, but not necessary. I too have had a few emergency stops, and no issue stopping in very short distance. I would have to imagine the cost would be prohibitive. New front wheel, front forks, and maybe a new master cylinder, plus the cost of the caliper and rotor.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:52 PM

Garage
I've looked at doing the same mod to my Dual-Sport bike I built from a street bike and the easiest way is to swap a set of forks from a bike that has dual brakes. First choice and cheapest would be swapping forks if they fit a 900s triple-trees. Second choice would be to swap forks and triple-trees from a donor bike. Not sure how much the bigger Vulcans are different from their little brother, but that would be the place to start.

I'm also interested in this as I plan to add a secondary fuel tank, bags, and a trailer to my 900.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Dragster Pipes
Cobra Fi2000
Classic Rear Fender
Harley Tour Pack
Running on the Darkside
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
My Vulcan 750 had dual front brakes and it was a lighter bike, don't see why the weight of the bike would change why you could or couldn't have dual fronts. I was at the Donnie Smith bike show this weekend and there was some kids from a College program that used a 900 for their project bike. They had got it from a junk yard, the front forks were smashed up. They swapped out the front end to a HD wide glide. It didn't get duals in front. They changed the front forks for sure, not sure if they changed out the triple or not. So it sounds like it could be done easy enough. I would think that you would have to change the brake reservoir out also? Isn't there something inside of there that controls the fluid pressure? I know you could have a double banjo bolt and change the lines to dual stainless and make them equal length. Or get a splitter down lower, like the VN750 did. I do know if I was going to go through the effort of changing front forks, some Progressive front springs would be going along with the work.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 AM

Garage
After my experience with forks I would recommend spending the money to have a shop like GMD Computrack of Atlanta re-work your forks vs just installing new springs. There is alot more to how forks work then just the spring and you may gain nothing by the change. I had a set of forks done by them and I'm in love with their work. I took a bike from street use to dual-sport use and it handles like it was always built for that purpose.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Dragster Pipes
Cobra Fi2000
Classic Rear Fender
Harley Tour Pack
Running on the Darkside
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 PM

Garage
Did a little research on the forks.....The 900 has 41mm fork diameter, the 1600 and 1700 have 43mm, and the 2000 has 49mm. Had a hard time finding fork length, but that might be a mute point. It might be possible to machine our triple to accept the 1600 or 1700 forks since it would be a change from 1.6142 inches to 1.6929. At that point you would need the fork length to insure it won't affect the front geometry.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Dragster Pipes
Cobra Fi2000
Classic Rear Fender
Harley Tour Pack
Running on the Darkside
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

There is no doubt that the 9's brakes are heavy, combined rear and front get reasonable braking distances. when pulling my trailer i use the rear first and let the bike "set" before i start grabbing the front. I wonder whether aftermarket pads would make a difference over the stockers.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode