sw pulley installed now lots of noise help! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

sw pulley installed now lots of noise help!

Hi all just installed sw front pulley,went arond the block and sounds terrible like a school bus, sounds like the belt is rubbing i did remove the part on the inside pulley cover as stated in the instructions. i did place the sw pulley with the lip facing the out side I hope this right the instructios did not specify. i did torque every thing down properly.can anyone tell me what i failed to do os missed ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenixx View Post
Hi all just installed sw front pulley,went arond the block and sounds terrible like a school bus, sounds like the belt is rubbing i did remove the part on the inside pulley cover as stated in the instructions. i did place the sw pulley with the lip facing the out side I hope this right the instructios did not specify. i did torque every thing down properly.can anyone tell me what i failed to do os missed ?
I am hoping to do the same installation next weekend. With the bike up on the jack and in neutral. Do you hear it rubbing when you spin the back wheel by hand? Maybe that lip goes to the inside? Hopefully, one of the folks that have installed this SW front pulley will enlight us?

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
I some what had the same problem, sound like the belt was rubbing or like a gear was grinding by the front pulley. What I did was realigned my tire and belt because it was off by 1/8" and I took off some tension on the belt. I still have the stock pulley but it did solve my problem.

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Top Contributor

I can't address your specific questions as to installation, as I've not installed one.

Is your SW pulley a new one? IIRC, some of the older front pulleys had issues that were finally addressed with a new design, last year maybe.

I did have a ton of problems with belt squeal when I first took possession of my 900, new from the dealer with stock pulleys. So, the fact that you're now running an SW pulley may not be the issue. The dealer goofed around with me/it for a month or so, until the left side of the belt had been chewed up so badly that the belt had to be replaced. That happened within a few hundred miles, so you want to make sure that you're not doing the same thing. Drive belts are rather expensive to replace.

My assumption would be that the belt is probably too tight and/or the pulleys are not properly aligned. I assume that you don't have a belt tension tool, so if you want to adjust it yourself, you'll have to do the hit or miss method, not loosening the belt too much at any given time.

hope that helps

Kerry

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Wow you guys came to the rescue fast, i did just that I loosened the belt that made a difference I may take the bike to the bike shop just to check my allighnmnt nd belt tension before I go on a long ride thanks rob
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

OH YES IT IS IN DEED THE NEW GENERATION PULLEY i MADE SURE OF THAT BEFORE i ORDERED IT FROM MEANCYCLES.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
OH YES IT IS IN DEED THE NEW GENERATION PULLEY i MADE SURE OF THAT BEFORE i ORDERED IT FROM MEANCYCLES.
Good to know, as I ordered mine Friday night from MeanCycles. Glad to hear you found the issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes bosco it was a good decision to order from meancycles.I still wish to know if the flange should be on the outside or towards the engine.FYI I recomend a impact gun there was no way that 27mm nut was coming offeven with a 3 ft powerbar! so I went out and bought one(electric 1/2 inch) worked wonders.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Yes bosco it was a good decision to order from meancycles.I still wish to know if the flange should be on the outside or towards the engine.FYI I recomend a impact gun there was no way that 27mm nut was coming offeven with a 3 ft powerbar! so I went out and bought one(electric 1/2 inch) worked wonders.
Found these photos on the SW front pulley installation. Flange goes to the outside, you did it right!!

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...view=slideshow

Yeah, I do have an impact wrench, just need to get a 27mm socket. Did you use a torque wrench, or adjust the impact wrench to 90ftlbs?

2010 900 Classic
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:59 PM

The problem that I ran into was the pulley was rubbing on the pulley cover. I had to grind down some spots on the cover and the noise went away. All I am hearing now is a loud ticking noise when i am at idle, but that has nothing to do with the pulley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode