So...How many miles did you get out of your Dunlops? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

So...How many miles did you get out of your Dunlops?

18,331 miles on mine. I had a bet with a friend that I could push it to 20k before the belts started showing. However the other day on the way home from work some idiot (and yes I can see the hypocrisy of calling someone an idiot when I myself have chosen to ride with bald tires) decided not to look both ways before crossing the street and caused me to have to lock up my brakes and skid a few hundred feet. Lucky for me the sound of screeching tire was enough to snap her back into reality. So of course she does what most people do when they screw up and realize that they have just put someones life in mortal danger. She froze, and stopped half way out in the middle of the road and looked right at me such as a deer would do when caught the headlights. I can tell you, this girl was cute, blond hair, full lips and probably the prettiest blue eyes I've seen in a while, probably enhanced by the 10,000K HID bulb that was hurdling toward her drivers side door at about 70 mph. Funny the things you notice when you almost die. Even funnier was that for a brief second (although this may have been an afterthought) I considered doing a Superman dive through her window and punching her in the face as my last act before my impending and seemingly imminent demise. But lucky for me the girls state of shock left me just enough room to maneuver around her front bumper and not end up a wooden cross with my helmet sitting on it. (Ironically the one I was not wearing at the time).

So anyway, I did not manage to get 20K on the stock tires. Seems my skid damaged the back tire in such a way that it is almost impossible to ride a strait like down the road. So she's in the garage until my new set arrive. Avon Venom-X 200/70/15 and a Shinko 777 130/90/16 for the front.

So, how far did you guys get on the stock tires? I was told by the dealer I'd only get 6-8K on them.

Here's the pics.

Last edited by DaSiver; 03-25-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 04:55 PM

I think you have set a record.

That is the most miles i have ever heard of on a Dunlop. Do you ride on a lot of asphalt or concrete
I changed mine at 5k miles looked like your back tire, front lasted 9k. Brushed and slotted concrete rips the soft rubber up.

Congrats.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
4400 miles, and they looked just like yours )

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 05:29 PM

Mine lasted about 8100 miles; Both the front and back tires were right at the OEM/Legal limit (1mm), so i didn't chance it and bought 2 brand new metzeler ME880s. Those tires are a huge improvement, and the bike feels like its riding on glass.......
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Its been ridden on just about everything. Mainly asphalt. But seen its fair share of gravel, dirt, cement, chip and seal, and potholes.

Can't wait for the new rubber to get here.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSiver View Post
Its been ridden on just about everything. Mainly asphalt. But seen its fair share of gravel, dirt, cement, chip and seal, and potholes.

Can't wait for the new rubber to get here.
Now, don't take this the wrong way.....but....how much do you weigh? Could have bearing on the long life of your tire.

2011 900 Classic SE

"Those who know how to win are far more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories." - Polybius
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
Now, don't take this the wrong way.....but....how much do you weigh? Could have bearing on the long life of your tire.
About Bout 220 now, But my weight has fluctuated between 170-236 from the time I got the bike till now.

Not to mention I've had passengers from 90 all the way up to 350 or so. (not that I've ever actually asked)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
5k on my rear. Not that bad, but she's not long for this world. Same miles on the front but it's not bad. Bike had 9k on it when I bought it and they were BALD, made the dealer give me a fresh pair o' shoes when I bought her.

Glad to hear you're ok! They don't pay attention much do they? Drives me nuts... you're in one of the deadliest machines man has ever created (and I'm talking about the car, not the bike) but you haven't got the decency to make sure it's pointed 'down range' so to speak.

It's funny. They want to ban guns because someone somewhere might at some point sometime decide to hurt someone. But, we're okay with uneducated tested-once-in-their-lifetime not-held-accountable-for-their-actions drivers all day long

Okay rant over. Glad to know you're alright and managed to squeak by that one. How long until you're heartbeat returned to normal and you could breathe again? (Funny story, when I had my little 'incident' with a truck a while back, I near passed out because I was holding my breath through all of it, and after I stopped and straightened the bike up, I was still holding my breath LOL)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 03-25-2012 at 09:08 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSiver View Post
About Bout 220 now, But my weight has fluctuated between 170-236 from the time I got the bike till now.

Not to mention I've had passengers from 90 all the way up to 350 or so. (not that I've ever actually asked)
One theory shot down

2011 900 Classic SE

"Those who know how to win are far more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories." - Polybius
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:01 PM

7500 on the rear and a rainstorm told me it was time for a change; changed the front at the same time but the front still had about 1000 miles left on it. I ride mainly asphalt with a little concrete mixed in from time to time, and thanks to my large carcass, two up (75% of the time) makes for nearly maxed out.

2006 VN900 Classic LT - Red and Black
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode