Good After Market Seat - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Good After Market Seat

I concur with the many people who complain that the OEM seat on the 900 is uncomfortable after about 20 miles. What are some good after market alternatives that won't break the bank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spridol View Post
I concur with the many people who complain that the OEM seat on the 900 is uncomfortable after about 20 miles. What are some good after market alternatives that won't break the bank?
Depends, what bank are we talking about, CHASE, The local bank down the street, or your check book.

Won't break CHASE.
Russel DayLong I have information from reputable members that this is the best seat available. Custom made from a mold, yup you know of what. Very pricey but the best I have heard of.

Won't Break Local Bank
Mustang Wide Tourer, or many other models.
Corbin many models
Many people swear by both of these Brands, I have a mustang and love it.

Won't break your check book.
Saddleman Gel Pad Seats, Same seat that Kawa sells with stitching. Decently priced. Gel pad works way better than stock seat and will drop you into the bike about 2 inches. I get to the I have to get off stage, after about an hour and a half with this one.

Other alternatives.
AirHawk Seat Pad, inflatable cushion, people swear by them.
I also use a sheepskin as a cover on my seat, comfy and keeps me away from the seat, It gets hot down here.
Also some people use the seat back beads many cab drivers use.

There are many others those are the ones I can think of now.
Others will fill in I am sure.
Hope this helps.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
+1 for the airhawk as a good alternative. Also a good first step. The "Airhawk 2" is cheaper (made out of a cheaper material, but provides the exact same comfort), under $100. If I were you, I'd buy that first and see if that doesn't make it comfortable. Then move up to the better seats if it's not sufficient. I think I'm gonna go with a Mustang myself.

Also, with the airhawk, the number 1 reason people say it's uncomfortable is because they have WAAAYYY too much air in it. Sometimes I have to move side to side to make sure it didn't go flat I have so little air in it. That's how it works. Fill it up with air, and it becomes just as hard as the seat. Have just a teeny bit, and it'll hold you mere millimeters above the stock seat, with plenty of room for the air to slush around, meaning you'll have no pressure points and be comfortable MUCH longer. I feel the same now after an hour that I felt after about 10-15 minutes before. Also the 'recovery' is much shorter. Meaning if once an hour I hop off and stretch, I'm find for another hour, whereas with the stock seat and no airhawk, if I stayed on it for 25-30 minutes, I was in PAIN and needed to rest for a while before I could continue. I used to ride it with the stock seat to my fiancee's house about 40 minutes away, sometimes an hour with traffic, and I had to sit for another 45 minutes in her nice thick couch or walk around for a while before I could even think about getting on the bike again. Even then, after that long in that saddle, I'd feel it as soon as I sat back on it. (I used to stand up or even slide myself onto the passenger seat for relief, anything but that brick...)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 PM

Garage
Im getting my seat back from meancitycycles.com in Tuesday. Check out their website. You send them your seat and they replace the stuffing with memory foam or gel pads or both. Only $150a for double memory. Tons of options from the site to pick.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephut66 View Post
Im getting my seat back from meancitycycles.com in Tuesday. Check out their website. You send them your seat and they replace the stuffing with memory foam or gel pads or both. Only $150a for double memory. Tons of options from the site to pick.
I would LOVE to hear how that works out for you... that may be just the ticket!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Top Contributor

I've tried just about everything to make a seat comfortable, and feel that a custom seat is the only way to go. My opinion is that anything you put on top of a seat, in the way of any kind of pad doesn't work well. May work for some, but they've never hacked it for me. My wife and I both have Russell daylong seats on our 900's and we both love them. They're expensive, but absolutely worth if. Can't put a pricetag on your comfort, especially if you tend to ride long distances.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I'll place my vote with a Corbin (Dual Touring). I am on my second one (second bike) and love the comfort.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 AM
Top Contributor

I put a Mustang seat on my bike after maybe 100 miles on that stock slab that they call a seat. Love the Mustang.

2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Yamaha yz250f
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 AM

Love my mustang with the diver back rest made longer rides a pleasure.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad46 View Post
I've tried just about everything to make a seat comfortable, and feel that a custom seat is the only way to go. My opinion is that anything you put on top of a seat, in the way of any kind of pad doesn't work well. May work for some, but they've never hacked it for me. My wife and I both have Russell daylong seats on our 900's and we both love them. They're expensive, but absolutely worth if. Can't put a pricetag on your comfort, especially if you tend to ride long distances.
I find the stock seat tolerable for all day stop and go riding but if you don't, I agree with Nomad46 that the only way to get it right the first time is go custom. Every bodies butt cheeks, tailbone, hip bones etc are different and therefore need to be addressed case by case. Sort of like a pair of orthopedic shoes......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode