SW Front pulley question? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
SW Front pulley question?

I am planning to order a SW front pulley and have a question for those who have replaced the pulley. Looking at the SW website the front pulley is mounted by 6 bolts (no splines), but when I review my VN900 ('06-'10) Service Manual it shows a pulley with splines, and a single retaining nut. Would like to confirm reality, and I have not yet pulled the cover off mine as I thought I would start with this illustrious group.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Yup the outer ring of the pulley is aluminum and screws to a steel spline that comes with it. Just not in the picture. The new pulley (reworked design) is not as shiney either as the aluminum is now annodized for hardness.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehead View Post
Yup the outer ring of the pulley is aluminum and screws to a steel spline that comes with it. Just not in the picture. The new pulley (reworked design) is not as shiney either as the aluminum is now annodized for hardness.
Thank you. That makes sense. Do the instuctions list what to torque the 6 bolts to on the adaptor spline?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Thank you. That makes sense. Do the instuctions list what to torque the 6 bolts to on the adaptor spline?

When mine came the two pieces were connected and ready to put on the spline (no assembly required) if it comes in disconected you would need to talk to scootworks or I would sent it back.
Don't have the manual right now but 90 ft/lbs comes to mind for the spline nut. If you have or can borrow an air impact wrench that is a big help. Biggest problem is holding the pulley in place while you remove the spline nut. Really helps to have a helper or the tool that is made to hold the pulley.

I know you will enjoy the pulley. Be sure to get the belt tension right or the birds will visit you a lot.

Enjoy and Ride Safe.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
When mine came the two pieces were connected and ready to put on the spline (no assembly required) if it comes in disconected you would need to talk to scootworks or I would sent it back.
Don't have the manual right now but 90 ft/lbs comes to mind for the spline nut. If you have or can borrow an air impact wrench that is a big help. Biggest problem is holding the pulley in place while you remove the spline nut. Really helps to have a helper or the tool that is made to hold the pulley.

I know you will enjoy the pulley. Be sure to get the belt tension right or the birds will visit you a lot.

Enjoy and Ride Safe.
Thanks, know what to expect when it arrives.

Have an impact wrench, do you think it could be used to remove the nut as well? Also have a 1/2 inch torque wrench as a final check.

I have in the manual a belt tension (deflection) as 1.5 ~ 4.0mm with 10lbs of force. Would you agree? With the new pulleys if this needs to be different.

Thanks, Russ (bosco)

2010 900 Classic
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks, know what to expect when it arrives.

Have an impact wrench, do you think it could be used to remove the nut as well? Also have a 1/2 inch torque wrench as a final check.

I have in the manual a belt tension (deflection) as 1.5 ~ 4.0mm with 10lbs of force. Would you agree? With the new pulleys if this needs to be different.

Thanks, Russ (bosco)
Air impact (torque) wrench, electric same same, makes the job much easer. Tension on the belt should be set at factory specs.

Oh and we will see how long it is before that rear pulley starts looking really good.

You got the 411 now go have fun.

See ya on the slab some time I hope.

Just realized you were talking about a hammer impact, I have not seen one of those in a long time. Work "OF COURSE" you just need a big hammer and lots of OOOMMMMPPPP.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside

Last edited by Bytehead; 03-23-2012 at 04:06 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Oh and we will see how long it is before that rear pulley starts looking really good.
Okay, I have to ask? What does this mean?

2010 900 Classic
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 PM

Once you get the front pulley dialed in and get in the zone, I will bet you will think "if the front pulley is this good what would both do" At least I did. I really like having both, whole other gear installed.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Once you get the front pulley dialed in and get in the zone, I will bet you will think "if the front pulley is this good what would both do" At least I did. I really like having both, whole other gear installed.
My rear pulley arrives on Monday, started thinking why not do both, just needed the $$$ for the front.

2010 900 Classic
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
My rear pulley arrives on Monday, started thinking why not do both, just needed the $$$ for the front.
: Ok you got me, let me get of the floor.

Have you visited gearingcommander.com if not I highly recommend it gives you some interesting info.

You will love the way the back tire is moved to the rear, that empty hole goes away looks much better. Get ready to have to relearn shifting patterns and shift points, yup it's great. Takes a little feathering for first gear start but it's not bad.
You do know about the difference in the speedo, right.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode