Need input on swapping '11 900 OEM pipes out for 2 in 1 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Need input on swapping '11 900 OEM pipes out for 2 in 1

looking at swapping out the OEM pipes for a 2 in 1 to get a little clearance between it and my bags.

Questions:

What would be the best 2 in 1 pipes for the 11 900 Custom?

Is a PC or fuelpak necessary, or is it a "type of pipes" determines that?

Is swapping out the airbox also necessary or an option?

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 AM

Garage
What would be the best 2 in 1 pipes for the 11 900 Custom? Cobra and Hard Krome both make a nice looking and sounding pipe. V&H aren't bad, either.

Is a PC or fuelpak necessary, or is it a "type of pipes" determines that? Necessary, no. But, you will probably want one.

Is swapping out the airbox also necessary or an option? Yes, it's an option, not necessary. Although, after switching my airbox out, I'm loving it.

Thanks for any input.

You can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding.

2011 900 Custom SE
Cobra Swept Exhaust - Black
Cobra PowrFlo Air Kit - Black
Cobra Freeway Bar - Black (painted)
Cobra Fi2000R
Kuryakyn ISO Grips - Black
Kuryakyn Contour Throttle Boss - Black
Mustang Daytripper
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkjag View Post
looking at swapping out the OEM pipes for a 2 in 1 to get a little clearance between it and my bags.

Questions:

What would be the best 2 in 1 pipes for the 11 900 Custom?

Is a PC or fuelpak necessary, or is it a "type of pipes" determines that?

Is swapping out the airbox also necessary or an option?

Thanks for any input.
Ok to make thing's easer, what are you looking to go for. EYE CANDY, GREAT SOUND or grunt HP. Or a combination of any of the above.

I have cobra 2-1, and in my opinion (and its all opinion on looks and sound) they fit the size of the bike and look and sound great.
I love the look and sound of HardKrome sideburners on bigger bikes, but they look out of proportion on the 9 (to big) and out of my budget. The V&H are very similar in looks and sound to the cobra's.

The fuel pack and airbox are both optional as stated above.
And i second the "but you will want to".
If you are looking for grunt HP, then the option is gone, requires all three.

Take your time look around at ralleys and shows, I have asked people to start there bike so I could here the pipes, and never been turned down.
You can do a lot of searching on the WEB for sound clips and pics of the different pipes. I spent 6 months just looking and deciding which way to go.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input

I just got the bike at Christmas time, so still looking around. The overall reason is to lower the pipes away from my bags on that side. Bought RR King size bags, after calling Kawi to make sure they would fit correctly. After install the bag rests on top of the pipe, so a 2 in 1 should get me a little clearance so the bag doesn't dry out faster than one would expect, and I don't have to spend a fortune on saddle soap to keep it from doing so.

Looks like I will continue to "window shop". From what I have seen on the net the Cobra's give the appearance I would like, but haven't heard them yet. Will look around as suggested to get sound checks.

definitely don't want "LOUD" pipes as I already have "artillery ear" and the wife already complains I don't wear the hearing aid

HP improvement would be a plus, but how would that affect mpg? I am guessing not a big impact on milage.

Again, thanks for the input on all of it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
If you switch from the stockers to just about anything that should give you at least a little more clearance. Here's a comparison of my bike with stock pipes and with Cobras. If you look at the passenger floorboards (which I lowered an inch or so when I added the Cobras) and rear axle nut you can see the difference pretty easily.

I don't know if it will be enough for you but I hope this at least gives you a good visual comparison and as you already know, a set of 2-1 pipes will give you even more room.

Last edited by Graybush; 03-24-2012 at 07:20 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkjag View Post
I just got the bike at Christmas time, so still looking around. The overall reason is to lower the pipes away from my bags on that side. Bought RR King size bags, after calling Kawi to make sure they would fit correctly. After install the bag rests on top of the pipe, so a 2 in 1 should get me a little clearance so the bag doesn't dry out faster than one would expect, and I don't have to spend a fortune on saddle soap to keep it from doing so.

Looks like I will continue to "window shop". From what I have seen on the net the Cobra's give the appearance I would like, but haven't heard them yet. Will look around as suggested to get sound checks.

definitely don't want "LOUD" pipes as I already have "artillery ear" and the wife already complains I don't wear the hearing aid

HP improvement would be a plus, but how would that affect mpg? I am guessing not a big impact on milage.

Again, thanks for the input on all of it.
Congrats on the purchase, got mine at New Years in 09 and Welcome to the forum.
Now I see where your heading. Same road I went down.
I have the RIVER ROAD Extra Jumbo bags and can say they will sit on any 2-1 pipe. Mine have a vinyl panel on the bottom that MELTED

What, whats that??? don't want LOUD, I have tinnitus, so i know what you mean. My Cobra 2-1 have been sound checked at 89 db at idle, and 92 at 2000. Just under the limit. I think a jackhammer is around 95.
Great, low guttural rumble with the cobra's, vibrates the floor of the parking garage at work . But I need to wear ear plugs on longer trips.

HP is really really nice. But "GUESS AGAIN". A 10% improvement in horse power will be a 10% decrease in MPG. You have to use more gas to get more horse power. I get 40-42 MPG depending on how twitchy my right wrist gets but I am smiling all the way to the gas pump.

I am way down the same road you are looking to travel and Love company. Hope to see you soon.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Top Contributor

2into1

I put the Cobra Boulevard HP on my 08 900c. Loads more clearance, maybe a bit too much noise for an old fart like me, big increase in power, runs a little lean mid-range (no processer).

If you have ever ridden behind someone on a V-Max and heard the low speed growl they make, that is the sound that the Cobra pipe produces at speed. There is still the bark off the line, but it graduates to an awesome growl that certainly grabs attention
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	9790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	9791  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANAD View Post
I put the Cobra Boulevard HP on my 08 900c. Loads more clearance, maybe a bit too much noise for an old fart like me, big increase in power, runs a little lean mid-range (no processer).

If you have ever ridden behind someone on a V-Max and heard the low speed growl they make, that is the sound that the Cobra pipe produces at speed. There is still the bark off the line, but it graduates to an awesome growl that certainly grabs attention
It actually sounds better behind the bike than sitting on it, makes my mind go elsewhere.
Hey, now I know what my bike looks like with a custom wheel, thanks.
Nice bike
If you decide to get a processor I would suggest a PCV, and I would be happy to let you have a custom map. Gives a real boost.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode