900 sound issues - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Take2
900 sound issues

I'll repost this in the GVT section too, for people who don't check the 900 page. I have an '07 900 Classic, and lately have been having some problems with odd noises. Wanted to toss this out here to see if anyone else has had these problems, or in some other way has any suggestion as to what they might be.

1) I'm getting a sound lately that I can only hear below ~35mph. I don't know if that's cause wind noise is less or because it just happens below that speed. It's intermittent but frequent, a low pitched squeal that makes me think of wet disc brakes vibrating. It isn't the brakes because it does it whether or not I'm applying front or rear brake, it just is. The entire time I'm below ~35mph.

2) I'm getting a lot of trans whine. Not a gratuitous oh holy crap this thing is about to blow amount, but it is rather loud. I hear it a lot more at certain speeds than others (I think), but it's always present. I can't say for sure if this is new, but I'm pretty sure it is because it would have driven me nuts earlier.

3) My electrical system has always been VERY loud. To the point where I can still hear it over my loud exhaust before the wind noise gets too great. Do any of you other EFI 900ers get this?

4200 miles on the bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 05:14 AM

the vulcan 900 is is just really bad for making a lot of diff. noises from the motor the valves sound like there are all ready to snap to the trans. that wines like crazy and the cam chains also makes some kind of noise pretty bike but a very loud motor for noises so just ride it and dont worry need to worry when its to quiet though. lol
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 04:46 PM

My '08 doesn't make any particular noises that i can think of. It did have a chatter at idle that I found out was from the cap on the end of the exhause. It had 2 of 3 rivets a little loose but after the past two 1200 mile trips it broke itself loose at some point.
I don't know that I would have any concern about old noises but anytime I hear a new noise I always investigate.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 05:46 PM

Check your drive belt
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Good suggestion, but it's also been ruled out
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take2 View Post
Good suggestion, but it's also been ruled out
Who ruled it out? The belt tightness spec from Kawi is too tight. Loosen a little and the whine goes away. Now interesting thought- is the longevity better with it tight to Kawi specs, or looser to where it is quiet?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

I did, as it's already been tried. Thanks though.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Top Contributor

Don't take this wrong but it's a learning experience: 1. Post in only one place, some of us are easily confused, especially when the posts a different. 2. Post is too vague which is why I previously refrained from comment. What oil you running and how may miles on the bike? You can't say of this new, recently purchased the bike? I'm not picking on you but from thousands of miles away every little detail is important.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitis View Post
Don't take this wrong but it's a learning experience: 1. Post in only one place, some of us are easily confused, especially when the posts a different. 2. Post is too vague which is why I previously refrained from comment. What oil you running and how may miles on the bike? You can't say of this new, recently purchased the bike? I'm not picking on you but from thousands of miles away every little detail is important.
I know what you mean by making posts in all sorts of different places, I only did it because some people that ride other bikes might have had insight into some of the issues (not all were 900-specific), and wanted input from anyone who didn't check the 900 section as well. And I made the same post in both sections. I'm currently running Honda GN4 motor oil, but after some suggestions about the trans whine I'll be switching to synthetic at the next oil change in 300 miles (I'm currently at 5200, when I made the original post I was at 4200 which was stated at the bottom). Sorry, I didn't understand your 2nd to last statement. What did you mean? Anyway, yesterday I figured out the problem. I kept going back to thinking that it must have somehow been the belt, because that noise started around the same time I installed the pulley. The tension was fine (I had it a bit loose to get rid of the stock belt whine), but on a whim I checked wheel alignment and it was off by almost a mark and a half. One of the jamb nuts must not have been tightened properly after doing the pulley. I adjusted this, and viola! No sound The belt and tire also showed no signs of abnormal wear. Now to go figure out what synthetic oil is the best for the 900... if I don't find anything in the search I'll just make a post. Thanks all for your input
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 PM

everthing ive read on here talks like amsoil 10w40 is the way to go
what pulley ya go with ? the scootworks chrome? ya like it i was thinkin of grabbin one myself

08 900 classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode