2008 Vulcan 900 CUts out and shuts off.. HElp - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

2008 Vulcan 900 CUts out and shuts off.. HElp

Hello I have a 2008 Vulcan 900 with around 6000 miles.. It has pipes stock air filter and a fi200 power cammander. It has ran great all last year and the first ride this year. I replaced the Tires and changed the oil and filter and now when I take the bike out it spits and sputters after about 20 min riding. It will eventually die and make a big bang. after a few seconds it starts back up but the start switch and fuel pump go dead for just a few seconds after it dies.. it will run but is getting worse and worse. Please any suggestions before i spend $1000s on electronics to figure this thing out.. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Maybe this is a stupid question, but are you burning fresh gas? Is it possible you got condensation in the tank and you're getting water in the mix? If that doesn't sound reasonable, then I'd check out the Power Commander. I haven't used one of those myself but it seems like there should be a standard set up you can fall back on to see if it runs better; then start tweaking it again.

Good luck!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:01 PM

Sounds like you are developing a vacuum in the tank. I believe there is a breather port in the gas cap. Check to see if that is cloged. Or try unsealing the cap for a short ride and see if that helps.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Tried opening cap and it has fresh fuel.

I tried it with the cap open and no change and it does have fresh fuel. The wierd thing is it just started doing it after I changed my oil??? could I have too much oil..? I checked it and its in the sight glass.. I never did anything but change the tires and oil and filter. I set the cobra fi2000 at the default setting and still no better. Its like the fuel pump just shuts off then comes back on after a few seconds.. the ecu and fuel pump relay are on different circuits.. really confusing... It gets worse the more you ride it too..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 PM

Most of the time to much oil will just get dumped out the breather port so I would not think that would be a problem.

OK now just guessing. Shotgun approach, have you checked the voltage on the battery, loose terminals at the battery, the delay on comming back would indicate a power problem.

Then maybe one of the pro's will pop up with a clue.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

has a new battery and i checked voltagte drop and it is working great.. i thought a simple loose connection would fix it too. First thing i checked actually.. I been reading and some have been replacing the ECU but not for the same reasons. Mine will run good at one speed and then I accelleraqte or slow down and it will just die or start jerking if I accelerate. If it was carberated i eould think its dirty carbs. Mine also re cycles the fuel pump and I can't start it after it has done so. start switch has no power for a few seconds.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
has a new battery and i checked voltagte drop and it is working great.. i thought a simple loose connection would fix it too. First thing i checked actually.. I been reading and some have been replacing the ECU but not for the same reasons. Mine will run good at one speed and then I accelleraqte or slow down and it will just die or start jerking if I accelerate. If it was carberated i eould think its dirty carbs. Mine also re cycles the fuel pump and I can't start it after it has done so. start switch has no power for a few seconds.
Any chance you're still under warranty?

2011 900 Classic SE

"Those who know how to win are far more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories." - Polybius
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 PM

There was a CPU recall on the 06 bikes but I do not remember what the symptoms were.

I keep going back to the loss of power.

The understanding I have of the issue is. After running for apx. 20 - 25 minutes the bike dies, Upon trying to restart, the starter does not engage for a period of time, how long(after it cools down maybe? not the starter). Then the starter will engage. Is it enough for a relay to cool off a little, then it runs a little shorter and repeats and each repeat run is shorter.
Is this close to accurate.
This is how I have seen bad power supplies go out, starts suddenly and gets progressively worse.

The dealership will first want to inspect all ground connections. There are lots of them, Power is needed to run the fuel pump, injectors, and starter, and a bad ground could take the ignition system out for a short time. But this would be random, unless it was also a heat issue, arching maybe.

I know some people have had to replace the Main Relay but testing the above theory is rather lengthy, start it and let it run and see if it shuts down sitting (you neighbors are going to love that), then take the readings at the relay and see if it has gone bad. Do you have a shop manual.

Oh and don't obsess about the sudden start of the problem, light bulbs, and computers, suddenly stop working all the time. Nothing you touched can cause the injectors to stop suddenly and then come right back.

I could also be on Mars, one never knows.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Took to Dealer?

Well I finally broke down and took the bike to a dealer and of course it never acted up once! Later I hear the cobra FI2000 is bad cause they ran it on dyno and it changed nothing so they took it out. Now it runs lean. They hooked up computer and found that the secondary throttle position sensor acted up 9 times which is not replacable.. Its attatched to the whole throttle body and is 600$ so they are assuming that is the problem.. So now we are taking out the throttle body plates and installing a PC5 Power Commander to bypass the sensor. 300$ for commander and Ill pull plates and 150$ to Dyno. So 450$ later I hope it works.. Weird thing is since we removed the cobra FI2000 it has run pretty good and has acted up two times in 350 miles. Makes me wonder if that was the whole problem tricking the computer. Thanks Guys Ill let ya know if the Cammmander helps!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Top Contributor

Suggestion

Also check the oil pressure sensor on the front of the pan. My 08 did a similar thing and it was a loose wire on the oil sensor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode