Floorboard question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Floorboard question

My wife bought a '09 VN 900 Custom last year and when she asked about gettin floorboards instead of pegs they said we could exchange the brackets for $750 or so. I can fab some brackets way cheaper than that, but is this something someone here has done so I can get some ideas, or are there floorboards out there that will bolt up without modifying anything? I don't know much about the Vulcan parts or fitment so any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I've been told it's an even swap with the OEM floorboard. At least, that's what I've been told. Anyone know if there is any truth to that? (That you can just take classic floorboards and bolt them right on)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

I suspect that's true, wouldn't the Classic and Customs have the same frame?? Guess next time I get by the dealer I'll crawl under both bikes and look!!

Mine- '05 Harley Davidson Deluxe
Darkside, lots of mods

Hers- '09 VN 900 Custom
Darkside, makin it her own!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksoutlaw View Post
I suspect that's true, wouldn't the Classic and Customs have the same frame?? Guess next time I get by the dealer I'll crawl under both bikes and look!!
You might even look around, I know sometimes folks with the classic like to swap their floorboards with the forward controls of the custom. If that can be done without any additional brackets, you might find someone willing to trade and it'll only cost you shipping!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Thumbs up It is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I've been told it's an even swap with the OEM floorboard. At least, that's what I've been told. Anyone know if there is any truth to that? (That you can just take classic floorboards and bolt them right on)
It is true. The original owner of my bike plunked down a boatload of cash for a set of 900 Classic floorboards from the dealership and had them installed.

I have the original Custom pegs sitting and collecting dust down in the basement.

Having the floorboards also allowed me to mount a Lindby crash bar.

Cheers

Bob
Ottawa
Not in Illinois
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKLLKR View Post
It is true. The original owner of my bike plunked down a boatload of cash for a set of 900 Classic floorboards from the dealership and had them installed.

I have the original Custom pegs sitting and collecting dust down in the basement.

Having the floorboards also allowed me to mount a Lindby crash bar.

Cheers

Bob
Ottawa
Not in Illinois
Sheesh. You could probably get two sets of aftermarket floorboards AND the crash bar for less than those OEM boards! haha.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I'll look around for some boards. I've got a set of HD floorboards I thought about buildin a bracket for, afraid her bike might start leakin oil or something if I put HD parts on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO!

Darkside, lots of mods

Hers- '09 VN 900 Custom
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksoutlaw View Post
Thanks for the info, I'll look around for some boards. I've got a set of HD floorboards I thought about buildin a bracket for, afraid her bike might start leakin oil or something if I put HD parts on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO!
ha ha ha. Are they genuine H-D footboards? You might actually be able to sell them for the cost of aftermarket floorboards like those from Kuryakyn(sp?). which run around $200. (Although I do personally prefer OEM over any of the aftermarket I've seen, I bet you could find them used somewhere...)

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 PM

Hi all,
I also asked at my local dealer about the classic/custom floorboard swap -- was told that yes, it can be done. They had both bikes on the showroom floor and, yes, they're the same frame... Salesperson told me they had a customer that absolutely had to have the heel/toe classic shifter along with the floorboards on his custom... with all the misc bolts etc, it cost nearly $1000 (!!!!) to do the swap.

As I don't need the heel/toe shifter, what I've found for MUCH better prices are the various Kuryakyn (sp?) floorboards with the adapters specific to the custom's footpeg mounts.

I'm worried about loss of ground clearance though, so have been thinking also about the Kuryakyn switchblade, foldout pegs as another option.

Would love to hear from others about any ground clearance issues with any of the non-OEM floorboard swaps...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'04 DL650 V-Strom
Gone but not forgotten...
'08 VN 900 Custom in Kawasaki racing green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'95 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja
'88 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja (track bike)
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'83 Honda CX650 Custom
'87 Yamaha YZ125
'84 Honda XR80
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Steve! I hadn't thought about an adapter specific to the bike, I'll check into that.
My wife took the Motorcycle Training Course and then practiced on my Deluxe. The first thing I did when I bought mine was take off the heel shifter cause there wasn't room for my feet on the boards and I never had one on the dirtbikes I rode as a kid. She asked if she might like it and I told her to learn without it and she'll never miss it!!!

Darkside, lots of mods

Hers- '09 VN 900 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode