Gaaalllllllll dernit! (Stator questions) - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Gaaalllllllll dernit! (Stator questions)

Hey all.

So I'm just gonna say real quick that I'm almost positive moisture is the cause of our stator woes. I've had that theory for a while, but my stator has now failed after getting caught in two pretty heavy showers. Im going to keep up with the di electric grease on connectors from now on but for now I've got a stator to replace. So my questions are;

Should I keep riding? Today it started with a loud and noticeable spaceship noise on the left side, at low RPMs. How long until it quits charging?

Second question. Probably gonna go with a Rick's Motorsports stator. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Thanks.

John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Hey all.

So I'm just gonna say real quick that I'm almost positive moisture is the cause of our stator woes. I've had that theory for a while, but my stator has now failed after getting caught in two pretty heavy showers. Im going to keep up with the di electric grease on connectors from now on but for now I've got a stator to replace. So my questions are;

Should I keep riding? Today it started with a loud and noticeable spaceship noise on the left side, at low RPMs. How long until it quits charging?

Second question. Probably gonna go with a Rick's Motorsports stator. Any reason why I shouldn't?

Thanks.

John
Welcome to the club. The only one you don't want to be in.
The noise you hear is the rotor rubbing the insulation off as it gets hot and expands. This will last about a month, did for me anyway, maybe less. Do you have a volt meter. When the stator finally goes you have about an hour of ride time until the bike shuts down. Not enough juice in battery to run the fuel pump and injectors. And It is very bad on the battery.
You may be correct about the water in the connector, that seems to come up a lot. Mine was full when it went. The connector is not sealed and water runs down the wire and straight into the connector.

Sorry to hear your trouble.
Can't say about Rick's, had mine done under warranty.
Lots of people have used Rick's and reported good luck.

My advice Park It till it's fixed. (If You have that option).

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 PM

Can anyone explain where these connectors are? I'd like to use the di electric grease and maybe avoid a problem. Thanks.

09 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf900 View Post
Can anyone explain where these connectors are? I'd like to use the di electric grease and maybe avoid a problem. Thanks.

The plug at the regulator, comes off the side. Seal it well including the wires.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf900 View Post
I think the culprit is the connections to the regulator located at the front of the bike below the radiator. I'd also hit the leads to the battery. That regulator gets a constant unending flow of water when ride in heavy rain from the tire splashing water up. Our charging systems are the type where the stator always outputs at 100% and then the regulator dumps the excess to ground and delivers the correct amount of juice to each connector. (which creates a lot of heat, hence being mounted in the front). If shorted by excess water, it could overload the stator or short the stator causing it to melt or overheat quickly.

That's my theory anyway. And di electric grease is cheap.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I think the culprit is the connections to the regulator located at the front of the bike below the radiator. I'd also hit the leads to the battery. That regulator gets a constant unending flow of water when ride in heavy rain from the tire splashing water up. Our charging systems are the type where the stator always outputs at 100% and then the regulator dumps the excess to ground and delivers the correct amount of juice to each connector. (which creates a lot of heat, hence being mounted in the front). If shorted by excess water, it could overload the stator or short the stator causing it to melt or overheat quickly.

That's my theory anyway. And di electric grease is cheap.

ON THE NOSE.

Also see if you can get some heat wrap around the wiring at the connector and try to seal it. Or just black tape is better than nothing.

John
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Top Contributor

I can chime in here....when i first got the bike, I got caught in a rainstorm....and my oil light came on....well.....there is a boot that covers the oil light switch that gets wet, and when that happens, you get a false, steady oil light on. After coating the spade connector with grease, I decided to unplug the regulator harness, Well, about a tablespoon of rusty water ran out! I sprayed lotsa lube in there (rust-check). It's one of the "quirks" of the nine. One of these days i'm gonna write a comprehensive "quirk" post and let every new owner know what IS GONNA HAPPEN.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 PM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

i am still amazed that my dealer has sold nearly 150 vn900 s and has yet to replace a single stator...but with my luck i will be the first....AFTER the extended warranty runs out of course!!!!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
i am still amazed that my dealer has sold nearly 150 vn900 s and has yet to replace a single stator...but with my luck i will be the first....AFTER the extended warranty runs out of course!!!!
Yeah my dealer never has either. But of the 3 900's in the area I know of, 3 have had a faulty stator.

It's a $1,000+ job at the dealer as I understand it. Whereas small local shops can do it a bit cheaper, or, you can buy an aftermarket/rewound stator for $160 plus the cost of an oil change and a few gaskets and be done with it. So yeah, I can understand why these dealers have never replaced a stator

I mean that's $1,000 for a bike that's worth between $4-$6k (assuming it's got a few miles and a couple years on it like the ones that usually fail). I think most folks will crack it open and do it themselves. Seems easy enough, just involved and tedious.

Last edited by Romans5.8; 03-20-2012 at 06:49 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Okay so here's a question;

I know the service manual recommends a gasket replacement. Can you guys tell me what need to be replaced when I crack the case? Links to where I can get it?

So here's my list, let me know what all I need before I set to work;

4 Quarts of oil
1 Oil Filter
1 Ricks Powersports Stator
Solder, heat shrink, and electrical tape
1 Gasket(?)

Going to order this week and hope it comes in soon so I can get her back on the road. Gotta find a place to work on it too, I live in an apartment complex, gonna be hard to do this is a parking lot with no access to electricity

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode