Oil Cap Replacements - 500, 750, 800, 900, 1600 and more! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Oil Cap Replacements - 500, 750, 800, 900, 1600 and more!

Just found this site, and dunno if it's been posted before. Too tired to search, so I'm posting for the first time, or repeating someone else's info... either way, I ordered and thought I'd share!

Definitely looks easier to remove and/or tighten than the stocker.

http://www.slingshotracing.net/catal...-cap-p-54.html

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:37 PM

I got a chrome knurled cap with 'Vulcan' on it, about $8 on eBay from Taiwan (where they are made). Nice piece and much easier to use than the stock item, which is the worst oil cap I have ever seen.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Nice. Thanks.

-Vinny VROC #32287 - 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, Ness Big Sucker, Fi2000R, Cobra 2-into-1

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Just a word of caution, there's a thread (I'll dig it up, I think it's in the 1600 section?) where a guy ended up with oil all over him after one of those caps popped off. According to some of the replies in that thread, it's an issue that's not exclusive to that individual, and they've more/less been known to come loose on the bike.

Don't know, never used them, never looked into it (I prefer the look of the OEM cap anyway and don't mind it.) But just figured I'd pass that along since I saw that thread, might be worth looking into before you put it in your bike. As I understand it, loosing all your oil is a bad thing. And messy!

Edit: Ahh, here we go, it was in the "General Vulcan Talk" section: https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23710

Again, I have no personal experience, but that thread would make me, personally, want to look a little more closely at those before I bought them. It would seem from that thread that there is at least a POTENTIAL for them to vibrate loose.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Just a word of caution, there's a thread (I'll dig it up, I think it's in the 1600 section?) where a guy ended up with oil all over him after one of those caps popped off.
Do you mean the ones the OP linked to, or the ones I mentioned? I didn't read every word of that other thread, but I don't remember the type of cap being specified other than that it was a chromed aftermarket one. Another poster mentioned seeping oil from under a 'Vulcan' cap, but that one had no O ring.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuluun View Post
Do you mean the ones the OP linked to, or the ones I mentioned? I didn't read every word of that other thread, but I don't remember the type of cap being specified other than that it was a chromed aftermarket one. Another poster mentioned seeping oil from under a 'Vulcan' cap, but that one had no O ring.
I'm not sure what it was but a couple of replies mentioned issues with various aftermarket caps, or hearing of issues. Just passing that along is all. Figured if someone was going to buy it they might want to know those things have been said about aftermarket caps in general, so they can take a closer look.

No skin off my nose either way, but I just wanted to mention it!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
Definitely looks easier to remove and/or tighten than the stocker.
I recommend you keep the stock oil filler cap and use what I use to remove it, I got a chisel and 3/8" wrench to remove the cap, the chisel point fits into the stock cap slot perfectly and the wrench to turn the chisel, you don't need an aftermarket cap if you buy the proper tools to remove the stock cap.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degreaser View Post
I recommend you keep the stock oil filler cap and use what I use to remove it, I got a chisel and 3/8" wrench to remove the cap, the chisel point fits into the stock cap slot perfectly and the wrench to turn the chisel, you don't need an aftermarket cap if you buy the proper tools to remove the stock cap.
Actually, the handles on the shock adjustment tools fit it well, but I like the idea of being able to remove and replace an oil cap without tools. The old cap isn't tough, but it could be easier.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Top Contributor

I just changed my oile today, I don't put the cap on super tight so all I use is the biggest scewdriver I have and I have no problems getting it off. I thought of buying a cap from ebay but I thought why spend the money if I don't need to and take a chance of ending up with a cheap piece of crap. Plus... my luck some dam kid would steel it and I would be stranded somewhere without a oil cap. lol!

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Just a word of caution, there's a thread (I'll dig it up, I think it's in the 1600 section?) where a guy ended up with oil all over him after one of those caps popped off. According to some of the replies in that thread, it's an issue that's not exclusive to that individual, and they've more/less been known to come loose on the bike.

Edit: Ahh, here we go, it was in the "General Vulcan Talk" section: https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23710

Again, I have no personal experience, but that thread would make me, personally, want to look a little more closely at those before I bought them. It would seem from that thread that there is at least a POTENTIAL for them to vibrate loose.
I'm the OP of the thread mentioned and would certainly concur with Romans words of caution. I've seen a number of the different caps, many like mine which usually say Vulcan or 900 or something on the top. I have yet to see one with an O-ring on it. Mine came without one and I didn't realize that I needed one, so that's how I installed it, without.

Since the incident, I've installed an O-ring and it seems to work fine now, but I can assure you that it will be a while before I trust it completely. I rode for several hours today and checked it frequently to ensure that it was still tight.

Here are a couple of photos of my cap, which is different than the ones linked by the OP in this thread.

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode