After stator replacement - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

After stator replacement

Here's the story: Replaced the stator -- bike (VN900 classic) started fine, but with lots of extra noise - grumbling, almost grinding noise at the front of the motor -- went for a 10k test ride, lots of power and responsiveness -- got back, still lots of noise -- unplugged the regulator/rectifier and started the motor, NO MORE GRUMBLING NOISE?? -- plugged reg/rec back in, noise is back -- took the whole thing apart again and pulled out the stator, ran the motor for a couple seconds, with and without the reg/rec plugged in and no noise either way.

I think this isolates the noise to the generator/stator. I see no bare wires, no shorts anywhere. So here are my questions;

- the rotor has a slight bit of play in and out - very slight - could that be a problem?

- the connection plug that Rickstator sent for the 3 white wires coming out of the stator seemed really loose and open - can shorting happen there (outside the oil chamber)? Should these connections be soldered?

- There was no simple way to determine which white wire from the new stator was to be connected to which white wire in the wiring harness; they are all the same. Does it matter? If so, how does one decide what the match is?

I know there a lots of posts on stator issues. I couldn't find answers to these questions. Here's hoping someone can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 06:49 PM

the loose connection could be an issue,but can't say for sure,sorry.I have come to learn that going oem on alot of parts(electrical,brakes,etc) is best. When my stator went out my mechanic said to get nothing but an oem replacement,others may argue this but he has never steered me wrong in the padt.Good luck in finding the problem/solution.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

I don't believe it matters which white goes where, but Rick's stator instructions say to soldered the connections.... not sure if a short would cause there to be any noise coming from the front of the engine....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Top Contributor

Is the charging voltage correct?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa afterthought View Post
I don't believe it matters which white goes where, but Rick's stator instructions say to soldered the connections.... not sure if a short would cause there to be any noise coming from the front of the engine....
Don't worry about phasing the three white wires. The connections need to be soldered and well insulated. Black electrical tape followed by heat shrink.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Is the charging voltage correct?
I don't know exactly what you are asking me. So, I'll describe the situation so that you can let me know how to get you the info you need.

- the stator is out of the motorcycle - I tested the oms on the end of the 3 white wires coming out of the stator - all of them read .7 with the digital meter set to 200. Any of the white wires to ground read "1" (nothing happens on the meter so I assume that is infinity).

- the battery has been on a trickle charge - it tested at 13.56 v. with the meter set at 20. Because the motorcycle died after a 10k ride I am assuming that no charging was happening at all during that ride. Is that a reasonable assumption?

- are their any tests I can do now before I put the stator back in and put the bike back together? Or can I put it together partially and test something? Dealing with sealing up the gasket and putting oil back in is a big hassle if it all needs to come apart again.

Thanks.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Don't worry about phasing the three white wires. The connections need to be soldered and well insulated. Black electrical tape followed by heat shrink.
Actually, the stator from Rick's came with a little bag with 3 male and 3 female connectors and a plastic plug case to install them into. I pinched the connectors over the bare wires, pushed them into their plug cases and plugged them together.

Are you saying I need to take that apart, solder everything together, wrap it and then heat shrink it? Can you imagine how the provided connection would not allow a charge to go through? or how it could result in so much racket in the front of the engine?

Thanks.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by liongrin View Post
Actually, the stator from Rick's came with a little bag with 3 male and 3 female connectors and a plastic plug case to install them into. I pinched the connectors over the bare wires, pushed them into their plug cases and plugged them together.

Are you saying I need to take that apart, solder everything together, wrap it and then heat shrink it? Can you imagine how the provided connection would not allow a charge to go through? or how it could result in so much racket in the front of the engine?

Thanks.
The Rick's stator sitting on my shelf did not come with any plug-in connectors but let's assume they are the type that require the wire ends to be stripped, and then crimped, to make a good mechanical connection. The use of a crimping tool built for the purpose is almost manditory. Using a pliers just won't work. Now there's the male-female connection that could be loose and causing the 3 phase alternator to single phase. This plays hell on your whole charging system. Eliminate nine potential problems and solder the connections would be my choice. The fact that disconnecting the rectifer/regulator stopped the noise is proof to me that the noise is not a mechanical problem resulting from your installation. Motors, generators and alternators make a lot of noise due to the harmonics during normal operation. When something is malfunctioning the noise can easily sound like a mechanical problem.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

So, put Ricks stator back into the bike (the gasket cleaning is the worst part of the job). Soldered the three white wires together - heat sealed - wrapped with black electrical tape - finished the assembly - replaced the oil and filter. Then, started the bike and NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

Run the bike without the reg/rec - fine. Plug in the reg/rec while running and the RACKET is crazy!

Digital multi-tester, on the battery terminals:
motorcycle not running: 12.83 v
idle, no reg/rec: 12.43 v
idle, reg/rec: 11.12 v

What's my next step? more tests? to the dealer?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by liongrin View Post
So, put Ricks stator back into the bike (the gasket cleaning is the worst part of the job). Soldered the three white wires together - heat sealed - wrapped with black electrical tape - finished the assembly - replaced the oil and filter. Then, started the bike and NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

Run the bike without the reg/rec - fine. Plug in the reg/rec while running and the RACKET is crazy!

Digital multi-tester, on the battery terminals:
motorcycle not running: 12.83 v
idle, no reg/rec: 12.43 v
idle, reg/rec: 11.12 v

What's my next step? more tests? to the dealer?
That's unfortunate. Before you tear into the stator again I would test the output with the regulator disconnected.
Unplug the regulator and set your volt meter for AC. With the bike running at a fast clip measure across all three white wires coming from the stator one pair at a time. A-B, B-C, A-C. This can be done at the plug going to the regulator. If the stator is any good all three readings should the same and be in the 40 to 50 VAC (that's volts alternating current) range. Anything out of the ordinary would indicate a bad stator. If all is well with your test then the regulator is suspect. Plz go back and check all your wiring from the stator area to be sure nothing got pinched or stripped. Good luck.

Last edited by Sojourner; 03-25-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode