To Windshield, or not to Windshield - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

To Windshield, or not to Windshield

Good morning all,

Just wondering - Do most of you use a windshield? Use a detachable? Do you find yourself ever taking the detachable off? If you do not use a windshield, do you not get on the interstate very often? If you do not use a windshield, do you find yourself having to wear at least a 3/4 helmet with shield?

For those of you that do use a windshield, what do you suggest? I have a red 08 900 custom. I want to keep it looking "mean". I have thought about this one:http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/me...1/part/MEM7111 , but I am not sure it would provide enough coverage for me. Im 5.11. about 175lbs.

And feedback would be great! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Top Contributor

I'm on the same custom (PASSION RED) and have National Cycle's 2-up switchblade shield. It's quite large on the custom, so isn't all that aesthetically pleasing, but I've gotten used to the look. It *RARELY* comes off except for the occasional jaunt when I know I'm staying at speeds under 45 and in town, or on those days when I just want that sleeker look. 5 seconds attach/detach. If I sit up straight, I can see over it easy, or I can settle in and look through it in need (i.e. rain, sand, etc.) I still get some buffeting, wind bouncin' up off my knees, but it's hard to imagine putting lowers on somehow and still keeping the quick detach function.

(EDIT: by "some buffeting" I mean wind that comes up from below the shield, and when in my full face helmet (rare), it flows right up into it... It's actually a much EASIER ride though, what with the wind off my chest, and when I go lidless, is very pleasant.)

Ol' Redemption, she still gets lots o' positive comments, shield or no, and I've settled in with the look now so it's not as drastic as it once seemed. Summer highway riding, all those fat and juicy bug-type things... well... 'nuff said. One splotch on the shield that was about half as big as my fist convinced me of the usefulness, and watching a rock about the size of a quarter bounce off of it on the super slab sealed the deal. That and a scare on one of the back road country trips with a couple of wild turkeys... (the living kind, non-liquid) Well, I'll take the shield any day!

Will see if I can't dig out a couple of pics with the shield on, but I think there's a thread out there somewhere in the 900 forums, too.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption

Last edited by Pretzel; 03-16-2012 at 12:41 PM.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Lifetime Premium

On my previous bike (Honda Shadow Sabre 1100) I also used the Nat'l Cycle detachable 2-up. It is indeed 5 seconds to remove or put back in place, and just as fast to install a shorter windshield in place. I found the removable made cleaning the windshield much easier (I removed it and put it in my mop sink), and I removed on hot days to get more wind.

Dale

2010 Vulcan Voyager /Ooops - I totaled it!/

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I use a windshield. I love it. Less 'pressure' on your chest, and if you get caught in a thunderstorm like I did last night (20% chance of rain turned into hail and torrential downpours and I was an hour from home) it's a lifesaver. I was riding with a fried who had no windshield and he was soaked to the bone and miserable. I was wet too, but my body was dry. (My overpants are waterproof, jacket is not... I have a rain liner... but the ONE time I decide to take it out of the saddlebag...)

I just use the OEM shield with lowers.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwhodat View Post
Good morning all,

Just wondering - Do most of you use a windshield? Use a detachable? Do you find yourself ever taking the detachable off? If you do not use a windshield, do you not get on the interstate very often? If you do not use a windshield, do you find yourself having to wear at least a 3/4 helmet with shield?

For those of you that do use a windshield, what do you suggest? I have a red 08 900 custom. I want to keep it looking "mean". I have thought about this one:http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/me...1/part/MEM7111 , but I am not sure it would provide enough coverage for me. Im 5.11. about 175lbs.

And feedback would be great! Thanks!
I have a Classic, with the OEM windshield.
When I was riding the 500 with no windshield I noticed a lot of wind and the bike had a tendency to drift on the highway. Part of the reason to get the 900 was more comfortable highway riding, but I noticed the same thing on the 900. I had never ridden with a windshield (my dad's Harley had one) and I was a bit concerned about how it would feel.

But after about 3 minutes on the highway with the windshield, I was hooked and have never considered taking it off. I did add some homemade lowers, but that was driven by a long ride in fairly cold weather (47F) and noticing that wind would blow under the windshield and up my helmet. The lowers fixed that problem.

Also, I wear a full-face helmet.

Rod

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Zhaan)
OEM Windshield, Crashbars, Sissybar
OEM Slim Saddlebags
Crampbuster throttle control
Wagner BP1210/H4 headlight & 2357LL taillight
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 AM
BOTM Winner, October/2012

heres a picture of my custom with a shield on it. a windshield was the last thing i wanted to put on my bike, went two years without one. then i rode my father-in-laws heritage that had a shield and had to have one for my bike. never have thought about taking it off..LOL

James

2009 Vulcan 900 Custom

Mods: Freedom Performance exhaust, Thunder Mfg Tornado Intake, Cobra Fi2000R and alot of chrome goodies
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Thumbs up Windshield is a winner!

Like others have mentioned, I like the look of no windshield, but decided to add one (Memphis Shades Speed Demon w/trigger locks). Wow, what a difference it made to freeway riding. I no longer feel like my chest is getting thumped on by a Gorilla. I may add some lowers real soon. With the windshield I can now use an open faced helmet.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 PM

X 2 on what's been said so far........I was like you a few months ago, sitting on the fence about whether to get a windshield or not. I ended up getting a small shield from here

. After I got the windshield, I had buffeting issues while wearing a full face helmet, so I made some lowers that remedied that problem.
If I want to take it all off, takes no longer than 5 minutes and 5 minutes to reinstall.
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22976

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 12:26 PM

My first cruiser, a Suzuki C50, was bought naked, cause I liked the look. Wasn't long, though, before I decided I wanted to carry basics (bags) and didn't like bugs in the teeth--especially june bugs and bees in the forehead, so along came a windshield. I put on a Memphis fat, and always had a lot of buffeting with it.

I upgraded a few years ago to a 9LT, and have the windshield set at about eyebrow height when sitting normally. I can sit up straight to see over it, or slouch down to hide behind it. With lowers, buffeting is nonexistent, unless there's a side wind.

2007 VN900LT, red/titanium
OEM highway bars and luggage rack
OEM WS lowers
4.5 inch pull back risers
Kuryakin highway pegs
Stebel air horn
Utopia driver backrest on OEM seat
OEM gel seat for about town, and hauling grandkids
ISO grips
Jardine light bar
K&N air filter
Brakeaway cruise control
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417vulcan View Post
heres a picture of my custom with a shield on it. a windshield was the last thing i wanted to put on my bike, went two years without one. then i rode my father-in-laws heritage that had a shield and had to have one for my bike. never have thought about taking it off..LOL

What shield is that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode