Chrome in a Spraycan !?! Is it even possible? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Chrome in a Spraycan !?! Is it even possible?

I was doing my oil change which I neglected to do in the beginning of winter and noticed that my rectifier cover in front of the oil filter was a little rusty. No fear figured I. I have spray paint. So I sanded it down to the metal past the rust and then just lightly scuffed the rest of it. I was out of self-etching primer, oh well it is just the rec cover and not extremely visible so if it doesn't turn out perfect big deal. And I can always repaint it. Well the only black I had was some flat black and since the frame isn't flat I thought that might look weird. But I did have a can of silver and a can of "CHROME!!!!!" And since I am one of 'those' people who believes you can't ever have too much chrome I figured I would give it a shot.

Now I know that the biggest part of painting is prep. Get that surface smooth and do lots of sanding and wet sanding in between coats. So as of right now I have painted, sanded with 400 to knock things down. Painted and wet-sanded with 800. Painted and wet-sanded with 1000. That is still drying and is going to for at least 1 day if not 2. Which then I plan to do at least 2 more coats getting to the final 2000 grit wet-sanding stage. Then let it sit for awhile, like week before waxing. I have read so far online that clear coat will make it worse, actually dull it. And that was from a guy who knew prep was key for making rattlecan paint look good.

So far it looks like shiny silver paint. Definitely not mirror, but I am not expecting it to just yet.

So I plan to continue on with this and will check in later.

But a question I have to people is this. At the bike shows I always see those booth guys with their magic products, jacks that you can pirouette a dresser Harley on, clothes for your biker bitch to wear that makes her look like Kim Kardashian, and chrome in a can. You can chrome anything with this. And they have dozens examples of things where half of the object is dripping wet shine of chrome. I am not sure of the brand, but has anybody bought this stuff. I just see it and usually walk by. But now I am interested in it. I am going to the Donny Smith show next week and maybe those guys will be there. If I could get them to spray something in front of me so I could see it in action.

So has anybody used this stuff before?

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Top Contributor

I tried that stuff before and believe me, it doe not come out like a properly chromed item. The best ai could get was a slightly better than dull finish. Sort of a slightly polished look, but not that nice mirror finish.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I painted some rusty rims with chrome paint once. Definitely wasn't chrome. But they did look nice.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad46 View Post
I tried that stuff before and believe me, it doe not come out like a properly chromed item. The best ai could get was a slightly better than dull finish. Sort of a slightly polished look, but not that nice mirror finish.
Plus one .... same results for me..

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
You won't get a good chrome look out of an aerosol can, but this is probably more what they used at the show booth you saw...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Naw the stuff at the booth was in a spray can, it wasn't something that you would use with a real spray gun.

To Whiting and Nomad, the results you got. Was that with doing the prep sanding line I described that I was going to do?

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Top Contributor

Did they demo that stuff at the show or did they just have finished stuff displayed ?

95 800A
Memphis shades Demon
Vance & Hines Cruzers
Jardine Rack
Kuryakyn Dually pegs
Baron Risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn long horn hwy pegs
Wille&Max saddle bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version