06 Vulcan 900 Classic (Need opinion on upgrades) - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

06 Vulcan 900 Classic (Need opinion on upgrades)

Like most people I am thinking about the 3 main upgrades.

1. Fuel Processor
2. Exhaust
3. Intake system

These are the choices I am considering.

1. Cobra Fi2000R Fuel Processor
2. Cobra Dragsters Exhaust System
3. Cobra PowrFlo Air Intake Kit

I have heard that I can install new pipes first and worry about the fuel processor seconds and before the intake system.

I have also heard it is a good idea to get the fuel processor first then installing the intake or pipes later will just make everything better.

And third never install the intake kit without first having the a fuel processor installed.

Now my question is, is all of this true? Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with installing these choices?

And is there anybody that might have better choices I should consider?

I have stock pipes on my bike right now, they are completely dabaffled and sound pretty good. Some popping on decel, but nothing major.

I was considering the cobra 2 into 1 pipes vs the dragsters, but always come back to the dragsters being louder and better sounding overall.

I'm all ears for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyarmour View Post
Like most people I am thinking about the 3 main upgrades.

1. Fuel Processor
2. Exhaust
3. Intake system

These are the choices I am considering.

1. Cobra Fi2000R Fuel Processor
2. Cobra Dragsters Exhaust System
3. Cobra PowrFlo Air Intake Kit

I have heard that I can install new pipes first and worry about the fuel processor seconds and before the intake system.

Yes ... but you may have some back firing issues unless you "marble" the bike .. search marbling

I have also heard it is a good idea to get the fuel processor first then installing the intake or pipes later will just make everything better.

No , if you increase air flow and add pipes, you will need a fuel processor, i would suggest the FI2000 power pro auto tuners, a true self tune plug and play.. Just adding pipes or air kits do not need a processor .. though i would put one on personally. Both additions defintly need one.

And third never install the intake kit without first having the a fuel processor installed.

I run a hypercharger only with the power pro processor, it is my understanding that this can be done with out, however i like my stuff to run properly. My pipes are completely stock

Now my question is, is all of this true? Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with installing these choices?

And is there anybody that might have better choices I should consider?

I have stock pipes on my bike right now, they are completely dabaffled and sound pretty good. Some popping on decel, but nothing major.

I was considering the cobra 2 into 1 pipes vs the dragsters, but always come back to the dragsters being louder and better sounding overall.

I'm all ears for any advice.
cheers maurice

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 03-14-2012 at 07:23 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

BTW ... there are many on here who have changed pipes, added various fuel processors, and air kits, borrowed maps etc only to find their bike run worse than before the changes. For the best performance, power commanders should be custom mapped on a dyno, a generic map or setting in my opinion does not offer optimal performance. Every bike is different and every situation is different ... ie height above sea level.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM

It also depends upon the desired result and the money to spend. I wanted drive-ability, fuel economy and not a lot of green spent to get there. Others want the HD sound; others try to make a 900 into a 2000; other just to experiment; others still to be different.

I also have the debaffled stock pipes and a K&N in the stock housing; it was enough for me. But then again, with 4 kids, I amazed she TOLD me to get the bike I wanted......within reason and budget, of course.

2006 VN900 Classic LT - Red and Black
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
BTW ... there are many on here who have changed pipes, added various fuel processors, and air kits, borrowed maps etc only to find their bike run worse than before the changes. For the best performance, power commanders should be custom mapped on a dyno, a generic map or setting in my opinion does not offer optimal performance. Every bike is different and every situation is different ... ie height above sea level.
Very true about every bike running differently. Of course they have setting's that work on most bikes, but doing a Dyno test is the best results by far. I always did worry about that, changing too much and not getting the desired effect. I have only put 75 miles on the 06 Vulcan I bought last week. I'm thinking about putting at least 500 miles on her before I make any changes. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King43 View Post
It also depends upon the desired result and the money to spend. I wanted drive-ability, fuel economy and not a lot of green spent to get there. Others want the HD sound; others try to make a 900 into a 2000; other just to experiment; others still to be different.

I also have the debaffled stock pipes and a K&N in the stock housing; it was enough for me. But then again, with 4 kids, I amazed she TOLD me to get the bike I wanted......within reason and budget, of course.
I am more or less wanting to experiment, and sound close to a Harley.

I have two young boys, and my wife has been supportive so far. But by me talking about all these changes she might just change her mind. Good Point!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyarmour View Post
I am more or less wanting to experiment, and sound close to a Harley.
You can make a 900 loud, but it won't sound like a Harley.

Joe
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 AM

For fuel processor I would highly recommend the FI 2000 power pro. It was super easy to install and I don't have to worry about changing pods or any of that. I've had it on my bike for a few weeks now and I love it.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusjoe View Post
You can make a 900 loud, but it won't sound like a Harley.

Joe
I didn't think really think so, I did however have a Harley owner friend of mine tell me the stage 3 debaffled stock pipes I have sound pretty good. And that is when I started thinking about the dragsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1600 View Post
For fuel processor I would highly recommend the FI 2000 power pro. It was super easy to install and I don't have to worry about changing pods or any of that. I've had it on my bike for a few weeks now and I love it.
What kind of pipes do you have on your bike right now?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 AM

I have Vance and Hines Slashcut staggered pipes. I couldn't be happier with them. I looked at all of the pipes out there, but I didn't want super loud so I picked these up because they were loud, but not annoyingly loud.

I feel like all of that it personal preference though.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chum1600 View Post
I have Vance and Hines Slashcut staggered pipes. I couldn't be happier with them. I looked at all of the pipes out there, but I didn't want super loud so I picked these up because they were loud, but not annoyingly loud.

I feel like all of that it personal preference though.
Would the Vance And Hines Slashcut's be considered louder than stock pipes completely debaffled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode