Stupid question regarding turn signals - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Stupid question regarding turn signals

I've got a 2009 Vulcan 900 custom. Sorry for the stupid question... some things I just never pay attention to and this is one of them: the other day my wife was riding behind me and she said "your amber turn signals in front are always on, even when not signalling... how come the ones in back aren't? "... I never really paid attention to it to notice one way or the other... but now i'm wondering... are the rear turn signals always off except during signalling or do I have a lighting problem?

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom 900
Mustang Daytripper seat
Cobra Swept Pipes with Smartpartz Hard Kore baffles
Kawasaki short windshield
Front tire Avon Roadrider 90/90-21
Rear tire Metzeler Marathon ME 880 200/70-15
Brakeaway cruise control

2009 Aprilia Sportcity 250 scooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
The rear signals are 'normal off'. They only come on when you turn them on. If they were 'normal on' they would need to be red and that would also take more complex electronix and dual element bulbs. If you want them as running/signals, there are kits available. Some of the kits are electronix only, others include the red lenses. If you get an electronix only kit, you still need to change the lenses. At least here in NY, its against the law to have any color lighting other than red face the rear.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the quick reply.

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom 900
Mustang Daytripper seat
Cobra Swept Pipes with Smartpartz Hard Kore baffles
Kawasaki short windshield
Front tire Avon Roadrider 90/90-21
Rear tire Metzeler Marathon ME 880 200/70-15
Brakeaway cruise control

2009 Aprilia Sportcity 250 scooter

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
At least here in NY, its against the law to have any color lighting other than red face the rear.
Except for the amber turn signals which can be amber only when used as turn signals. It is probably illegal in most states to have amber running lights. I'm taking my chances because I installed a module and dont feel like changing the lenses. Amber is more noticeable. Had 2 deputies behind me today at different times. Didn't have any problem.

I care more about SPG (smiles per gallon)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
than MPG (miles per gallon)

2009 Vulcan 500 LTD
Scootworks Risers
Slipstreamer Enterprise windshield
Protac driver backrest
Rumble Road speaker system
River Road saddlebags
Priority Plus tail light module
Kuryakyn chrome accessory plug
Kuryakyn ISO grips (6235)with Throttle Boss
JTF512 17tooth sprocket
"Manuel/Vicente" custom engine guard
Hardley highway pegs (freebies)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
kfole107, you're right of course. Rear directionals are often amber here, in fact I think they should always be amber, but that's another story (read gripe). Here in NY we need to be careful about easy to see violations. The state legislature has recognized that motorcycle violations are an enormous untapped resource and they've been targeting bikes over the past couple years. I saw more bikes pulled over last year than in the previous 40!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 PM

I believe the federal statutes state that any continuous light (running light) in the rear of any vehicle must be red, as must any light to represent stop. Turn Signal lights which are not continuous may be amber or red in the rear. No light continuous or otherwise (turn) will be red at the front of the vehicle. ( or something to that message)

And yes the way things are today I would not even think of giving an officer a reason to look twice.

I changed the color of my rear amber lenses to red with a cheap can of transparent red stain for plastic use. Took of the lens, sprayed it, 2 coats for nice deep red color and put it back on with a red led bulb of course.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 PM

More red in back

Here's one for you if you do not want to go the LED route, or do not want to buy one of the many kits available, but want those rear turn signals on at all times for better visibility.

#1 Buy a set of red turn signal lens (RTSL-1300) @ "Custom Dynamics" for $13.94
#2 Buy a set of Clear turn signl lens (K-2265) (not necessary, but they look good) @ "CruiserCustomizing.com" for $20.18 (their S/H was almost as much as the lenses themselves).
#3 Go to any automotive parts store and get a set of replacement Pigtail & Sockets "Monument Car Parts" (STR HP4580) $2.69 each.
#4 Swap current Pigtail sockets from rear turn signals with replacement ones (Three wires - One to ground, low to brake light low or license palte light, third or high to existing turn signal wire).
#5 Take bulbs out of front signals and place in rear signals.
#6 Go back to auto parts store and get amber 1157 turn signal bulbs for front.
#7 There you go, steady red turn signals that work just like the fronts and are legal in all 50 states!
Front and back swap = $50.00, rear conversion only $25.00
If money is not an option, they sell chrome covered amber bulbs for the front, so you do not notice the amber bulb through the clear lense (while your bike is parked) however I did not like them as I did not feel they were bright enough (anyone interested in a pair that were used for less than five minutes?)
On another note, interested in relocating that ugly rectifier?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0466.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	9577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	9578  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
This is awesome. Thanks for posting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTLOU View Post
Here's one for you if you do not want to go the LED route, or do not want to buy one of the many kits available, but want those rear turn signals on at all times for better visibility.

#2 Buy a set of Clear turn signl lens (K-2265) (not necessary, but they look good) @ "CruiserCustomizing.com" for $20.18 (their S/H was almost as much as the lenses themselves).
#3 Go to any automotive parts store and get a set of replacement Pigtail & Sockets "Monument Car Parts" (STR HP4580) $2.69 each.
#4 Swap current Pigtail sockets from rear turn signals with replacement ones (Three wires - One to ground, low to brake light low or license palte light, third or high to existing turn signal wire).
#7 There you go, steady red turn signals that work just like the fronts and are legal in all 50 states!
If money is not an option, they sell chrome covered amber bulbs for the front, so you do not notice the amber bulb through the clear lense (while your bike is parked) however I did not like them as I did not feel they were bright enough (anyone interested in a pair that were used for less than five minutes?)

-Vinny VROC #32287 - 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom, Ness Big Sucker, Fi2000R, Cobra 2-into-1

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I generally don't like when any vehicle has red turn indicators, to me they should always be amber. But I have ridden behind guys in groups that have always on amber lights and when they are further ahead in the group I see flashes of amber and think a turn is coming up. But it is just that somebody has quickly blocked the amber for the briefest second it seems to flash. It's kinda irritating.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTLOU View Post

This is an excellent write-up.
Well researched and explained.

Thank you!

Rod

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Zhaan)
OEM Windshield, Crashbars, Sissybar
OEM Slim Saddlebags
Crampbuster throttle control
Wagner BP1210/H4 headlight & 2357LL taillight
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers
Sponsored Links