post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Sparky Plugs

Hey all,

Just wanted to get a feeler out there on plugs. Even though I've been riding all winter with this crazy weather, I kinda wanna give my bike a good once-or-twice-over before the weather really warms up. It's an '06 with 13k on it that I bought last September with 8k on it. On my to-do list is to get the brake fluid changed, coolant changed, and at some point this summer the tires are gonna have to go bye-bye and get swapped with some Metzelers.

So here's my question. I lack the tools to do much and currently live in an apartment, leaving me basically zero work space other than a small outdoor parking spot that will probably be swarming with complaining neighbors if I start taking stuff apart. Unless I bum garage space for a couple hours from a friend or something, that's possible, but let's just assume this upcoming valve job at 15k is going to be done at a dealership.

I noticed the recommended interval for changing plugs is 7500 miles. I don't know if it was done at 7500 miles or not, but my guess is not, being that the bike came from southern Florida (according to the title when I got it) and had only 8,000 miles put on it in almost 6 years. It's been my experience that people who ride that little also spend little time working on or maintaining their bikes. Not always, but they sometimes get about as much attention as the lawn mower. So, better safe than sorry, I'm going to assume that's the case here. Should I wait until 15k and just have the dealer do it while they have the tank and everything off anyway? Or should I just do it now. Doesn't seem like a tough job at all it's just going to be a pain to pull the tank and try and work in a parking lot to get these plugs changed out. For the record, it runs like a champ. I never have any backfiring, I'm getting great gas mileage, and it starts idles and runs like it should. Do they begin to run poorly this late without a plug change or is it just a 'preventative maintenance' item?

I've always been on top of maintenance with my cars but I've never had a car where I need to change the plugs every 7,500 miles. Actually, I usually run the Bosch plugs rated for 100k. (Speaking of which, what plug options are there for the Vulcan?)

Thanks,

John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Top Contributor

You will find that the plugs look "just like new" and do not need replacing.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
You will find that the plugs look "just like new" and do not need replacing.
So you're saying the 7,500 is a little too frequent? Sounds good to me. Less work and money? I'm all for it.

How often would you replace the plugs sfair?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Color: Blue/White
I'd pull one and take a look. If they are as sfair states, leave em. If they look a little worn, swap em out. Whole job ought to take less than 10 minutes.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDawg View Post
I'd pull one and take a look. If they are as sfair states, leave em. If they look a little worn, swap em out. Whole job ought to take less than 10 minutes.
Is it pretty easy to get to the front one without pulling the tank? I don't have the tool kit that came with the bike so it would have to be done with a good ol' fashioned spark plug socket.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I had mine replaced at the dealer when they did a valve check at 14k miles. It only cost the price of the plugs and the old ones looked like new, but for $8 it was worth it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Top Contributor

I will replace my plugs when they are worn and I am seriously wondering if that will happen in my lifetime....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

I have always replaced plugs at the recommended intervals.... to the amusement of the guys at my Mickey-D's coffee klatch breakfast club..... until a 30000 mile Yamaha Roadstar owner tried to change his out and broke (yes broke) one off cause it had welded on.... Did some research and found that because of the difference in the metals, they will tend to weld themselves together.... I've also found that on cages with the 100,000 mile service interval such as the big SUV's, when you go into have it serviced at that mileage, they will not guarantee that they will not strip out the plugs, resulting in an expensive fix.... So, it's cheap and good practice to pull them out and at least check them before re-installing as you prevent the welding issue, and they can tell you a lot about how your engine is running.... Just my 2 cents worth.... not really worth all that much....:-)

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Top Contributor

When a person does pull the plugs to at least look at them, it would probably be wise to put them back in with a little spark plug anti-seize grease on the threads. Your local OriellyAdvancedNapAutoZone will have this stuff. It is usually in a little plastic packet up near the check-out and costs like 99 cents (US). I think that's close to 15000 yen. But anyway, you only need a small dab of the stuff on the threads of each plug. Even as small as the packet is, if you tuck it away somewhere, you will have enough to use on your next 5 bikes and share with your friends.
Cheers!

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post
When a person does pull the plugs to at least look at them, it would probably be wise to put them back in with a little spark plug anti-seize grease on the threads. Your local OriellyAdvancedNapAutoZone will have this stuff. It is usually in a little plastic packet up near the check-out and costs like 99 cents (US). I think that's close to 15000 yen. But anyway, you only need a small dab of the stuff on the threads of each plug. Even as small as the packet is, if you tuck it away somewhere, you will have enough to use on your next 5 bikes and share with your friends.
Cheers!
What he said. I also use it in other applications but definitely on plugs.

'04 1500 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode