Anyone Had This Happen? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Anyone Had This Happen?

The other day when I was loading up my wife's '09 Classic, the engine suddenly started racing. I checked the throttle cables for binding but there wasn't any. I shut it off and restarted the engine and it did it again. WTF. Any ideas here? It' never done that before?

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Banned

It was the alarm - your wife is gonna kick you if she catches you on her bike!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
When you say it did it again, you mean it does it every single time right?

Check the idle screw (Black thumb screw on the air cleaner facing the forks). It could have inadvertently gotten cranked way up. I'm assuming the throttle feels like it should, has some tension as it opens and closes right? Check the idle screw.

-John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 03-04-2012 at 08:28 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 AM

Totally normal, most of the 900's do the same thing, seem's to be a glitch in the high idle software in the ECU.

Mine has done it for the last week or so.

Irritating as hell, but will stop by it self, I usually shut the engine off, and then reset and restart, work's some time but not always.

The idle will settle down on its own.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Top Contributor

Mine did it. I put a Fi2000 on and it never did it again. I don't know if that's what fixed the problem, I just know that's what happened.

It can be a little embarrassing sitting at a light and all of a sudden your bike is off to the races. Usually (not always) turning it off and restarting it fixed the problem.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Top Contributor

Mine does it for about 3 seconds every time i start the bike. Bike is brand new, only 300 miles, just figured it was normal.

2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Yamaha yz250f
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 AM

mine does it when i start it too, but goes back down

2009 Vulcan 900 custom SE
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
Mine does it for about 3 seconds every time i start the bike. Bike is brand new, only 300 miles, just figured it was normal.
Just to be clear, there are two levels of fast idle. Assuming the bike is set to idle at 1200rpm normally, the first level of fast idle is around 1800-2000rpm. This one happens every time you start the bike. It is the normal warm up cycle that ensures you don't run the engine to long with cold oil. The next level has to be up around 3000rpm plus+++. It sounds like you are doing 55mph sitting still.

For me, it usually only happens when it is really cold out, but I have had it happen on warm days too. As said above, there seems to be a glitch in the ECM that tells the bike you have suddenly moved to Siberia in January and you need to really rev the engine to warm the oil. I think it is some combination of faulty temp and rpm readings that sets it off. But whatever it is, it can scare the crap out of you the first time it happens. The rpm's are fast enough that if you let out on the clutch, the bike will take off and run on its own at 15-20mph in 1st gear.

As for fixes, there are a few things you can try, but they don't always work.

1 - Let the clutch out just a bit until the transmission starts to engage then pull it back in. Sometimes this will wake up the ECM to realize it is acting like an ass. But more often it just pulls the rpm's from 3000 down to around 2700.

2 - Shut off the engine, turn the key off, wait a few seconds and then restart. This will sometimes fix it completely although you will have to go through the few seconds of normal warm up reving. Other times, it goes right back up to 3-grand.

3 - Ride it out. Pull in the clutch and just let the ECM act like a jerk until the road clears or the light changes to allow you to take off. Usually these fits don't last for more than a minute or two. So if you ride down the road a mile or so, the next time you pull in the clutch you should be back to normal.

4 - Sit and take it. Just stop and wait for the bike to get over the fit which won't take more than a minute or so.

PS- Normally when this happens for me, the bike will start as usual and drop to regular warm up idle. But as I pull out the parking lot or driveway, at the very next stop is when I notice the really high rpm's. Since I ride mostly in town, my next intersection is usually not far enough away for the bike to have warmed up completely. Anyway, if you don't panic, this will be no more than the occasional nuisance. I usually just ride it out.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.

Last edited by Jeep Pirate; 03-05-2012 at 11:32 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mine did for about 5 minutes usually after warm and starting again (like fueling up). Put on a Cobra Fi2000r and had my dealer make some adjustments. Problem solved.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

2008 VN900
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM

Its happened once or twice, yesterday actually , and I was "WTH?" but after a few seconds it goes away.

06' 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode