900 Stalled? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
900 Stalled?

Okay, not sure if I should have posted this in "wrench heads", or the "engine" sections but needed to see if anyone has experienced this, or I am just worrying for nothing...

Went riding yesterday & today, and had my 900 Classic just stop (stall) while coming to a stop at an intersection. It happen only once each day, but since I have had it now (8 months, or 4,000 miles) she has not died, stalled or quit on me. Is there anything I should be concerned with or look for now? She runs great otherwise, and starts right back up. Just found it weird to have happend two days in a row.

Could this be bad gas? Idle seems fine. I'm not hearing any funny noises. Apologize if this is stupid, or I'm worried for nothing.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Okay, not sure if I should have posted this in "wrench heads", or the "engine" sections but needed to see if anyone has experienced this, or I am just worrying for nothing...

Went riding yesterday & today, and had my 900 Classic just stop (stall) while coming to a stop at an intersection. It happen only once each day, but since I have had it now (8 months, or 4,000 miles) she has not died, stalled or quit on me. Is there anything I should be concerned with or look for now? She runs great otherwise, and starts right back up. Just found it weird to have happend two days in a row.

Could this be bad gas? Idle seems fine. I'm not hearing any funny noises. Apologize if this is stupid, or I'm worried for nothing.
You mean it happened just the one time, or just once a day the past two days?

I had something like that sorta happen, I was slightly low on gas. But not extremely low. I was able to get to a station right away, barely though. Thankfully it was only a mile away when this happened, but after that it never happened again. So did this happen on the same tank of gas? Have you refilled since then? How long before this happened had you riden it before? Had it been sitting for awhile?

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
You mean it happened just the one time, or just once a day the past two days?

I had something like that sorta happen, I was slightly low on gas. But not extremely low. I was able to get to a station right away, barely though. Thankfully it was only a mile away when this happened, but after that it never happened again. So did this happen on the same tank of gas? Have you refilled since then? How long before this happened had you riden it before? Had it been sitting for awhile?
It happened each day (so twice this weekend). Just filled the tank last weekend, and has over half a tank after today's ride. That's why I thought maybe it's a bad tank of gas (water??). Rode last weekend without any issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 PM

Same thing happened to me a few times in the last 6 months, usually a short way after riding off to work, I stopped at the light and just as I was to give it some throttle to move on, it died. Did this 2 days in a row.
I believe it has something to do with the bike being still in the 'warming up" stage.
I usually starts the bike a few minutes before riding, it does its high revs for a little while then quieten down and off I go but I have noticed that idling speed is still a bit low at around 940 rpms ( i have a tacho) after 4 or 5 kms it is back up at around 1000/1050 the dying thing never happened when the bike was fully warmed up.
This thing is too infrequent to worry me.
We are at the end of summer down here, I expect this might happen again in the full of winter.
We are lucky in Australia as we can ride all year long, we do not have snow or ice and very low temperatures like in the US or Europe but it can be on the cold side early morning.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Happened to me twice before I did the ECU recall and then it never happened again. Have you had that recall work done? Just a thought.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Happened to me twice before I did the ECU recall and then it never happened again. Have you had that recall work done? Just a thought.
What recall? I have a 2010 Classic, purchased in July 2011. When was the notice sent out? Thanks...

2010 900 Classic
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
What recall? I have a 2010 Classic, purchased in July 2011. When was the notice sent out? Thanks...
Mine's an '06 but I did a quick Google search and it appears the 2010 is also affected. I'm not sure when the notice was sent out, I bought mine in September of 2011 and received the notice a couple weeks after buying it. Took it to the dealership, took about an hour, they even washed the bike for me!

The recall specifically states that it could "Cause the engine to stall when coasting with the clutch pulled in due to an improper setting". Which is what happened to me. Once while slowing to a stop, another time while stopped at a stop sign. Just died.

-John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Top Contributor

Man sounds like bad gas but who knows? Stay away from high ethanol gas like at the walmart stations etc.. my bike does not like it nor does my honda civic. Gas mileage in my car will drop 4 to 5 mpg if I fill up at a walmart. Could be a loose battery connection too possibly.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I think bad gas, and like Frenchy said if it wasn't completely warmed up and funky gas. New tank of some hopefully ethanol free non-oxygenated, and a little Seafoam. Hopefully clear it up. Throw it on a trickle charge for a the week time if you ain't riding and make sure the battery is good.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Mine's an '06 but I did a quick Google search and it appears the 2010 is also affected. I'm not sure when the notice was sent out, I bought mine in September of 2011 and received the notice a couple weeks after buying it. Took it to the dealership, took about an hour, they even washed the bike for me!

The recall specifically states that it could "Cause the engine to stall when coasting with the clutch pulled in due to an improper setting". Which is what happened to me. Once while slowing to a stop, another time while stopped at a stop sign. Just died.

-John
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemantle View Post
Man sounds like bad gas but who knows? Stay away from high ethanol gas like at the walmart stations etc.. my bike does not like it nor does my honda civic. Gas mileage in my car will drop 4 to 5 mpg if I fill up at a walmart. Could be a loose battery connection too possibly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace Bror View Post
I think bad gas, and like Frenchy said if it wasn't completely warmed up and funky gas. New tank of some hopefully ethanol free non-oxygenated, and a little Seafoam. Hopefully clear it up. Throw it on a trickle charge for a the week time if you ain't riding and make sure the battery is good.

Thanks guys! Just ran my VIN out on Kawasaki's website (letting me know my warranty is up in July and can buy extended.... always selling ) and there are no outstanding recalls for my bike. The dealer must have already completed prior to selling the bike. I am going to use up the rest of this gas, and try a different station to fill up. If it continues will take it in for service. Still have a few months left on warranty.

2010 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode