Spark Plug Wires - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Question Spark Plug Wires

Anyone know if there is a service recommendation for changing out the plug wires? I've changed the plugs at the recommended intervals,(12,000 miles, I believe) but don't remember seeing anything in the wires...... Are they an easy change out or are they part of a coil pak that has to be changed at the same time.. I'm looking at my 32,000 valve check, at that would be the time to make the change if needed....Thanks in advance for your assistance......

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 PM

Garage
Looking at the Kaw service Manuel at the periodic maintenance table under replacement parts there is no mention of plug wires. As far a valve clearance my Kaw owners manual says 26kmiles while the service manual says says 15kmiles for US & CA. I would like to know what our fellow 9 owners are doing as far a valve clearance adjustment intervals?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:22 PM

I have checked on ordering just the plug wires. You can order the boot ends separately, but in order to get the wires/boots you have to order the coil packs...they come as a complete package deal.mdsimon80,as far as the valve clearance I had my mechanic check mine for the first time at 31,000 miles and he said very little shimming was needed only .002 on front intake, and .001 on rear intake

Old 03-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
The valve job seems to vary. Some do it to a tee according to the manual, some put 100,000 miles on the bike without touching it, others wait for it to make a noise. Still others have never heard of needing a valve adjustment!

As for me, I try to stick with the manual. Although from what I've been reading, it seems like the first clearance adjustments (15k I believe) are the most drastic. So, if I were gonna skip 'em, I'd skip AFTER the first one, in other words, I would recommend thinking about doing it / getting it done at 15k miles.

It's one of those things that you could never do for the life of your bike and never have a problem. OR, you could put 35,000 miles on it without doing it and end up with an expensive top end job. Depends on which you feel like you've got better odds for I guess! LOL.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement