Kisan SM-3 and signal lights - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Kisan SM-3 and signal lights

For those of you that have installed the SM-3, what signal lights (r/t/b) are you using. I would like to go with LED. Do they make a single circuit set with a ground wire? Everything that I've seen grounds with the mounting hardware. I would like to mount them on an aluminum fender eliminator. I'm somewhat concerned that it might not be the best ground after being out in the elements.
Also, any pictures from the back of the bikes would be great. Thanks, Sue

Like my Mom says, you're a long time dead! Live now! Anyone have some wood that I can knock on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 PM

Garage
Here is what I did.
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16054

With the three wire LED lights you can just use the high intensity lead, or twist the low and high together since the SM-3 controls the intensity.
As for your fender eliminator I can't imagine it would provide any worse a ground than the fender. Aluminum is a better conductor than steel.

2000 Vulcan 800 Classic
Cobra Pipes and highway bars. ~ Custom paint / side panels. ~ Kuryakyn hypercharger ~ Drag bars ~ Custom mirrors, levers, and Baron Dually pegs ~ Mustang saddle ~ custom/lowered taillight/plate holder ~ LED accents
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
V&H Pipes ~ Mustang seats ~ Luggage racks ~ dually highway pegs ~ Light bar
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Harry-O

Now that's a good boy. I have a Brittany that's about 16. Started showing his age a little over a year ago. They are so loyal and smart.

Thanks for the info. it is exactly what I was looking for. I hope to change to small LED bullets on mine. Time and cash will tell. Ride safe!

Like my Mom says, you're a long time dead! Live now! Anyone have some wood that I can knock on?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:24 PM

Garage
I'm thinking of getting the SM-3 for my 900 classic LT. Does the SM-3 relay just plug in and did you have to install the springs?

2010 Classic LT
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Sm-3

I have a custom, so I can only give help from what I have read. People have said that the custom requires more effort to install. I've heard that the other models are more plug and play. Maybe someone that has installed one on the LT can help more.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 PM

kisan sm 3

i bought the kit for my 06 Vulcan Classic LT, could not get it to work as advertised. got little to no help from Kisan, and finally just gave up. the wife will just have to learn to turn the damn signals off! before it was done i spent nearly $200.00 to replace the part i broke in frustration. next time i will spend the money on other mods.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 11:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinba View Post
I'm thinking of getting the SM-3 for my 900 classic LT. Does the SM-3 relay just plug in and did you have to install the springs?
I had to cut my harness and install spade clips on my 800, but that's because the SM-3 is not the right model for the 800 but it was $25 on clearance (I'm cheap, and know my way around a wiring diagram and soldering iron)

I believe it is supposed to plug into the stock harness/connector on the 900

As for the return springs, I close to forgo those and instead disassembled my signal switch and disabled the mechanical latching mechanism turning it into a momentary switch. Works great. Hit the switch once to turn on the signal and hit it again to cancel, or just let it time out.

2000 Vulcan 800 Classic
Cobra Pipes and highway bars. ~ Custom paint / side panels. ~ Kuryakyn hypercharger ~ Drag bars ~ Custom mirrors, levers, and Baron Dually pegs ~ Mustang saddle ~ custom/lowered taillight/plate holder ~ LED accents
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
V&H Pipes ~ Mustang seats ~ Luggage racks ~ dually highway pegs ~ Light bar
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 AM

kisan sm3

i was attempting to do the same thing i think, but it was pretty cold here at the time, plastic was a little on the brittle side and snap goes the switch. well now let me tell just how proud momma kawasaki is of that little milk white plastic doo dad with a few pieces of pot metal and screws. like over $200.00 proud. you can't buy the switch, you get to buy the entire left side contgrol housing, hi lo headlight, horn, wire harness, and the whole nine yards. could not find one on line at a salvage yard so wound up buying one from a on line parts house back in michigan. saved about $50.00 and now i am done with kisan. and thank you momma kawasaki for locating the plugs for the wire harness on top of the frame under the tank. that was just a great idea! oh well live and learn, story of my life!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM

Garage
Thanks Guys, think I'll pass on the Kisan and just train myself to push the off button although so far the training doesn't seem to be taking.

2010 Classic LT
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 PM

self cancelling

Ditto on doing it yourself. I have gotten so use to checking, everytime I make a turn I find myself pushing the middle button whether I turned the signal on or not. Hard habit to break?

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire