Considering Purchase of Vulcan 900 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Considering Purchase of Vulcan 900

I have been riding since 1968 on numerous brands and styles of bikes. I currently have a Yamaha Road Star 1700. It is a great bike except for the vibration in the floorboards. I have tried different mountings but no success. My feet go to sleep after a few miles on the highway. I have heard that the Vulcan 900 is a great road bike with plenty of power and very smooth. I'm hoping that smooth means no vibration. I think I'll trade this spring but am doing a little research now. Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks, Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
The VN900 LT is the only street bike I have ever owned, so my point of reference may not be what your are looking for.
However; I would not call it smooth at highway speeds. I am not complaining; to me it is the greatest bike ever; but it does get buzzy around 70 mph.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Pat, try this thread https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22648 Coming from a 1700 you may find the 9 a little sluggish, especially 2-up. This engine revs higher than a 17; peak torque is at 3600 rpm. The 9er is light, nimble and dependable. But when you say plenty of power, keep in mind we're talking a bit more than half the displacement you have. Light weight, FI, Multi-valve and belt drive can make up for some that torque, but this bike is not a heavy cruiser. It's an excellent all-rounder though. Happy trails...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I don't find the vibrations bad, but then I'm usually pegged up at that speed. Can't feel it at all through my highway bar. But all the way up to 65 or so it's as smooth as silk.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeddes View Post
I have been riding since 1968 on numerous brands and styles of bikes. I currently have a Yamaha Road Star 1700. It is a great bike except for the vibration in the floorboards. I have tried different mountings but no success. My feet go to sleep after a few miles on the highway. I have heard that the Vulcan 900 is a great road bike with plenty of power and very smooth. I'm hoping that smooth means no vibration. I think I'll trade this spring but am doing a little research now. Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks, Pat
The 9VN is a very good Lite cruiser, but Coming off of a large displacement bike like you are, you're going to find the 9VN lacks the punch you are accustom to..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 PM

Garage
Your road star I believe is air cooled, where the 900 is liquid cooled, this is a huge advantage especially during the summer. I have not had nor read on this forum, of any riders having been uncomfortable from engine heat.

Last edited by mdsimon80; 02-22-2012 at 09:57 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Top Contributor

I know this sounds tacky how about putting some type of insulating padding, rubber, foam , on the floor boards pad, imagination goes a long way

good luck
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
While the 9 does have some vibrations, it's nowhere near the type of stuff that'll numb you. I don't, personally, feel ANY in the floorboards. I do wear some pretty thick boots when I ride but... the only vibrations I get are from the grips. Most people put aftermarket grips on there. I just ignore it. It's hardly noticeable and I've ridden for hours at a time without it becoming a nuisance. They also make leather gloves with gel padding in the palms cheaper than new grips!

I think you'll find it less powerful than the 17 but, if your like me, it's no big deal. I'm not a speed demon. I love my bike. Does everything I ask it to do, super dependable, very comfortable.

Only word of caution: The stock seat sucks. I mean really sucks. There are a select few iron-butted individuals around here who still use the stock seats un-treated. If I were you, I'd just assume that, in addition to the cost of the bike, you're also going to need to buy an aftermarket seat. But, with a good seat, that thing will treat you well! I do LOTS of 2-up riding and I have yet to feel like she is lacking in anything. I mean, no, it's not a giant V-4 power cruiser or anything like that, but I don't want it to be. If I did, that'd be what I would have bought

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Top Contributor

I came from a GL1800 Gold Wing, so I can tell you about smooth. However, I don't find the 9er to be rough. It's smooth as silk up to about 60 or 65 mph, then it sounds more buzzy than it actually is. I don't find it bothersome at all, and I've never experienced any numbness setting in at any speed. Maybe my face due to the continuous wide grin when riding it, but not my feet or hands. And yeah, +1 on the aftermarket seat. I had a Russell made for my bike and it is super comfy. A lot of folks like the Mustang. It just didn't work well for me.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode