Vulcan 900 Classic vs Triumph America 865 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Vulcan 900 Classic vs Triumph America 865

My wife is looking to upgrade from a Suzuki Boulevard S 40 650 thumper, she is interested in both the Vulcan 900 classic and the Triumph America 865. She is seeking feedback other than mine because I am partial to the Kawasaki. I will admit the Triumph is a very attactive bike and the reviews have them running neck and neck as far as performance. 1st question has anyone ridden both bikes and how did they compare? 2nd question is one of these bikes more lady friendly then the other?

2008 V2k LT
Her name is Destiny
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Here is long thread abouy why 900

This thread was started a couple of days ago. Lots of great reasons to buy the 900.

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22963

Enjoy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 AM

I test rode both. Power wise the Triumph has a markedly stronger top end and really feels like it belongs in the higher rev ranges. Torque specs are similar on paper but the Vulcan feels much torquier and is more fun to ride at lower speeds.

Both bikes handle very well for cruisers, personally I don't think there's a lot to choose between them there. The America is lighter steering than it looks, more like the 900 Custom than the Classic in that respect. The rear suspension and the brakes are probably the best I've experienced in this segment and it wins hands down over the Vulcan on those counts. That and the generally lighter feel (although it isn't a whole lot lighter) might steer smaller riders toward the Triumph. Seat heights are about the same I think.

Personally, despite its advantages I wouldn't dream of swapping my Custom for an America. The Vulcan has more grunt low down and just feels more solid. And while the Custom's pipes aren't exactly head turning, the America really does sound like a sewing machine. Finally, part of my reason for buying a cruiser was to be done with chain maintenance.

To me, the America is a standard dressed up like a cruiser. It's a good performer and a lot of fun to ride, especially if you wind it out, but the Vulcan just feels more like the real deal. They're so different that anyone who rides both will know straight away which they prefer. If the V-twin cruiser 'feel' is not a prerequisite for you (or yours), there's a lot to be said for ten extra horses and better brakes and suspension.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thank You this is feedback we are looking for, we will test ride both bikes once the weather breaks. This one is for the Misses who just started riding last spring that is why we got the boulevard, it was a perfect starter bike but is a little rough for riding any distance.

2008 V2k LT
Her name is Destiny
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode