He said he didn't hear me... how do I fix that? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
He said he didn't hear me... how do I fix that?

Well I got in a little 'incident' today with a truck. Thankfully, nobody was hurt, very little damage. Pulled out into my lane headed my direction, made the turn very wide. I laid on the horn, he didn't see me or hear me he said (after the cops caught up with him that is, he left the scene.)

So I'm thinking Wolo BadBoy. Is there a better solution? I've been searching the forums and that seems to be it... gonna pull the trigger unless someone has a better solution. Next time this happens (though I pray it doesn't) I want him to have to change his pants.

-John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 11:53 PM

Put 2 badboy horns on mine. I think 2 gave me about 20% more than 1. They r loud but would like them 2 b even louder.

2011 1700 Nomad
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 AM
Top Contributor

I had one of these on a old Mazda truck I had years ago and it performed well and loud. I still believe loud pipes safe lives!

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V Twin View Post
I had one of these on a old Mazda truck I had years ago and it performed well and loud. I still believe loud pipes safe lives!
Well with all due respect that wouldn't have helped much here. Next time your out in a cage sitting at a stop or something, notice how you don't hear those pipes AT ALL when they care coming toward you, not until they pass you. I don't know why that is, but without fail I watch these bikes come towards me, then don't hear them until they are past me. Then they are PLENTY loud, but you don't hear them beforehand. I've even experienced it with the window down and the radio off. That time you can faintly hear them... I don't know if it's the wind or the pipes heading away from you or what. But, I don't think pipes would have made much of a difference in this situation, certainly not as much as a loud, obnoxious, "What the heck is that" horn.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Top Contributor

From my experience I always see people looking over their left mirror because they hear me coming. Also on several trips my wife on her SUV with three children and radio at low to mid level and windows up could still hear me when from behined, on the side and of course when in front of her. Another example I always see kids waving hello, wifes looking over thier husbands and even at times intentionally scaring old folks when even before I can get next to them. But I do understand what you are saying as sometimes I too don't hear other riders thill they are pretty much passing me. A combination of both would probably yield better resutls as in some cases by the time you can hit the horn is too late. Of course, this was just good advise so if you take it or leave it you won't hurt my feeling. Safe riding.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V Twin View Post
From my experience I always see people looking over their left mirror because they hear me coming. Also on several trips my wife on her SUV with three children and radio at low to mid level and windows up could still hear me when from behined, on the side and of course when in front of her. Another example I always see kids waving hello, wifes looking over thier husbands and even at times intentionally scaring old folks when even before I can get next to them. But I do understand what you are saying as sometimes I too don't hear other riders thill they are pretty much passing me. A combination of both would probably yield better resutls as in some cases by the time you can hit the horn is too late. Of course, this was just good advise so if you take it or leave it you won't hurt my feeling. Safe riding.
True enough. Certainly would REDUCE my "watch out idiot"-ability. But, I gotta be honest... I just can't stand them LOL. I do alot of touring with my bike, I pack on as many miles as I can. I cannot STAND getting behind or riding near a bike with loud pipes. It's a beautiful sound, but at one constant rev forever down the highway... I think if I had them on my bike the only way I'd ever get home is in a straight jacket. I mean I know alot of guys love 'em, but I'm just not one of those guys LOL. Plus, to be perfectly honest... There's a ton of stuff I want for the bike before I drop a few hundred for pipes

On the horn though... I've been reading up on the Stebel and Wolo Bad Boy. Gonna go with one of those two... It'll make my fiancée feel a little better too, knowing I've got a little more than that pathetic, "excuse me sir, but would you mind returning to your own lane?" horn.

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

I have the Wolo on mine. It's very loud (110-120db?). Just make sure you install with a relay to protect the electrical system.

Glad to hear you're OK!

2008 VN900 Custom
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Rivco Air Horns. 128db.

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 AM

Getting noticed is what matters.

Three months after i bought by 09, Got it in Jan 09, the fifth car that tried to change lanes to where I was said the same thing " Sorry, I did not hear you" that was the day i ordered COBRA 2-1. Has not happened since. I commute to work through Dallas and outer cities.
Now cars move away from me and when behind they drop way back.
If Loud Pipes don't save lives they will sure save legs and trips to hospitals.

I have dual FIAMM Horns ( very loud for electric) but I have never seen a horn that will move a car that has just turned in front of you. If they don't know you are there to start with you are toast.

Romans5.8
I know your feeling on the pipes, on the highway that is all I hear. I have considered packing the baffles to make it quieter, but then I look around at the people in there Cages, Tex-ting and watching TV on there phones and just forget about it.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Top Contributor

In my MSF class, they stated there is zero scientific evidence that loud pipes save lives. I never personally hear them unless it's early in the morning and some dude/dudette feels it necessary to let the whole world know they are leaving or as they are passing me etc. That being said if you feel they do than that's what you should ride with because piece of mind means a lot out there. I've contemplated buying one of those fluorescent looking helmets and a new horn in hopes that those might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode