Calvary Custom Backrets - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Calvary Custom Backrets

Help... I'm trying to decide on a sissy bar for my 09 Classic and I'm interested in the Calvary Custom QR8+. Calvary offer the complete setup including the lug rack for only 223.00, and free shipping. Guys and Gals my wife and I actually expect to put the backrest and the rack to good use, so I was hoping some of you have this cavalry QR8+ installed on your VN900. If so I would appreciate it if you would be so kind as to provide some comments on the quality and comfort. At that price I have quality concerns, especially about the rack. Also, I would love to see any pics you have of it installed.

http://www.cavalryfiberglass.com/sto...roducts_id=158

Thanks for all your help.

SirMickey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Top Contributor

Dont know about the sissy bar but I own their highway bar on my 900 and the quality was great.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 AM

cavalry customs

I purchased the sissy bar for my 900 custom and then later added the luggage rack as well. The quality pretty good, very heavy duty. I did have some slight issues with fitment, but I think it was due to putting them on with saddlebags. I had to go buy some different sized bolts to mix and match until everything fit well.

On the luggage rack, when I first opened it I thought there was no way it was going to work, because there was 1/4-1/2 inch gap on each side to where it screwed into the sissy bar. But as I tightened it, the metal was pulled snug to the sissy bar and it feels incredibly solid. I've loaded it up with a two piece touring bag for 1000 miles and had no problems.

They seem like a good company to work with if you have any issues. The only minor complaint is they don't offer free shipping on returns (if you needed it).

But for the price, it sure beats the big name brands. I've got pictures on my profile.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:54 PM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

i got one of those minus the rack for christmas....was quite dissapointed.....first that reflector was falling off..so i fixed that...I went to assemble and install it.....to start with all four bolts that hold the backrest to the side plates were about 3/8 inch too long.. then tried to install the knobs on the bike.... well again wrong hardware....sent spacers that are not needed and bolts that are again too long.....unless you use those un-needed on the outside of the knobs.....if you put the spacers on the inside then it spaces the knobs out too far....contacted them and was given the option of sending it back at my own expence...or take $25 refund....they didnt even offer to send the proper hardware.......and didnt seem to care what i thought of their product....so as promised to them i would not lie and give good reviews of their product on forums when clearly they have issues...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 PM

cavalry custom backrest

I didn't look closely at your link until just now. I did not purchase the same sissy bar/backrest. Mine was much cheaper and was not a "quick detachable" style and there was not a reflector. So I can't speak for this particular backrest. Like the previous person, I did have issues with their mounting hardware not fitting correctly, and had to go spend about $5-6 on some good stainless steel hex bolts (it came with allen wrench style bolts, and they began to strip really quickly, so I wanted better quality).
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiles View Post
I purchased the sissy bar for my 900 custom and then later added the luggage rack as well. The quality pretty good, very heavy duty. I did have some slight issues with fitment, but I think it was due to putting them on with saddlebags. I had to go buy some different sized bolts to mix and match until everything fit well.

On the luggage rack, when I first opened it I thought there was no way it was going to work, because there was 1/4-1/2 inch gap on each side to where it screwed into the sissy bar. But as I tightened it, the metal was pulled snug to the sissy bar and it feels incredibly solid. I've loaded it up with a two piece touring bag for 1000 miles and had no problems.

They seem like a good company to work with if you have any issues. The only minor complaint is they don't offer free shipping on returns (if you needed it).

But for the price, it sure beats the big name brands. I've got pictures on my profile.
J

I have saddlebags installed as well. It sounds like I should start looking for hardware. If there were no fit problems, my question is... Where did you find bolts long enough and with the correct threads to get it done.

SirMickey
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
i got one of those minus the rack for christmas....was quite dissapointed.....first that reflector was falling off..so i fixed that...I went to assemble and install it.....to start with all four bolts that hold the backrest to the side plates were about 3/8 inch too long.. then tried to install the knobs on the bike.... well again wrong hardware....sent spacers that are not needed and bolts that are again too long.....unless you use those un-needed on the outside of the knobs.....if you put the spacers on the inside then it spaces the knobs out too far....contacted them and was given the option of sending it back at my own expence...or take $25 refund....they didnt even offer to send the proper hardware.......and didnt seem to care what i thought of their product....so as promised to them i would not lie and give good reviews of their product on forums when clearly they have issues...
What did you ultimately decide to do... Dis you sent it back?

SirMickey
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 PM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

i took the refund measly $25..... i already had like $40 into the shipping to get it here and would have cost me another $40 to send it back.....had too much into it as it was....
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the Info... I still have some issues to consider.
I can say that what I'm hearing about Calvary makes me uneasy...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 PM

Just a quick post about this (though off topic slightly) The place you are talking about is CAVALRY Customs. I only bring this up because I own CALVARY Customs Cycle Shop and want to make sure bad experiences go where deserved!

'08 VN900D8F Classic LT
Cobra Speedster Shorts
12" Mini apes
Scootworks front pulley
Cobra fi2000
K&N Air filter
Highway bar & pegs
VROC #33959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page