only 39 bhp on dyno ?????????? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

only 39 bhp on dyno ??????????

hi i have a 2007 vn n900 with 7000miles it has cobra exhausts fitted and a fi2000 fuel managment system fitted,the settings are 4 2 2 i took ot to get it on rolling road and it only produced 39 bhp,why???? i am now depressed and dont know to do,any help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Stock intake? How much power are you expecting?

Next time you get it on the dyno, play around with the settings and find a better spot, my guess is that you are seeing a drop in power because of poor fuel mapping. From what others have said on this forum, I doubt you'll see much of a gain in power with JUST pipes. You'll see some, but not that much, the biggest gains seems to be when people couple it with an intake.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

39 bhp

hi thanks for the imformation,it is on stock intake but manufactors state 52 BHP on kawasaki website when new,why the drop,i will be fitting a hyper charger soon ,what BHP should i expect then,thank you.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Let me see if I understand. You have a 900 cc with cobra pipes (what kind), and a Cobra FI set at 4 2 2, but no after market air breather. You took it to a dyno to have a check and it read 39 HP not BHP, BHP is horse power at the crank, the dyno checks the HP at the rear wheel, BIGGGG differance. Advertized BHP is 50 but dyno is around 42-43 for Stock.

Pipes alone will not allow the engine to breath. No extra air going in no extra fuel needed.
Set your Cobra FI to 0 0 0 or remove it, you are running WAAAYYYY TO RICH.

When you get the air breather then you will need the Cobra FI, then you should get about 47-49 RWHP.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehead View Post

Pipes alone will not allow the engine to breath.

Really????
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Kawasaki hp is measured at the crank, dyno hp is at the rear wheel. Normally 43 hp stock at the rear wheel. Get the bike professionaly tuned. Pipes plus air kits, properly tuned should result in 57hp at the rear wheel on the dyno on documented reports I have seen. One mans map is another mans nightmare ....

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 02-15-2012 at 09:48 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Btw ... get a FI2000 power pro, it has auto tuning, no guess work needed.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Top Contributor

I too would recomment to upgrade to a better fuel management. I stared with the Cobra FI2000R and upgraded to a PCIII with noticeable results.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Really????
Yes! Take a straw and pinch it in two places with your fingers, then try to blow through it. No go, right? Okay, let go with one hand, but keep the other hand pinching the straw. You still can't blow through it.

This is exactly the same thing that is happening with the VN900 stock setup. The stock exhaust are bad enough for reduced air flow due to the catalytic converter and all the baffles. But they are nothing worse than you would expect for stock pipes. However, the intake air box is its own little nightmare and should be ranked in the top 10 of engineering failures of all time. If you take it off you will see that air has to enter from the rear jug side of the air box after feeding between the cooling fins on the rear jug. So you are getting a very small amount of low pressure "heated" air into the air box. Then the air which has already made 2 right angle turns to get in the box, has to make 3 more right angle turns to get into the intake. This is why K&N took so long to make a filter to fit our bikes. K&N likes to say that their filters will give you more horsepower. But they don't stand a chance of doing that on the stock VN900 air box.

So adding pipes will help with the sound of the bike. But they can't touch the performance unless we also replace that twisted straw of an air box with something that will actually let the bike breath.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
lol...I think Sfair was being uh...sarcastic.

And for the record, I do subscribe to the idea that if you want a powerful bike, buy one that comes that way. The 900's great, and has plenty of oomph for its size. But why torture the poor thing by pushing it past its mechanical limits? Drop 2-3 Gs and you'll be lucky to see 60 hp on the back of the motor, likely around 50 at the wheel, and the 900s famous reliability could likely go right out the window. What you end up spending in parts and professional tuning, you coulda just bought a nice used Meanie or M90. Never mind the fact you could be shopping for a new scoot in 30k miles anyways.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode