Are there any serious performance parts for the 900? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By King43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Are there any serious performance parts for the 900?

I'm looking to beef up my 900. Does anyone know of any performance parts available??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:37 PM

You're probably only going to find intakes/air filters, pipes, and fuel processors for the 900. Remember the line in "Jaws", "I think we're gonna need a bigger boat?" If you want more power than the above mods will get you, there are bigger bikes with as much power as anyone could want.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
The consensus around here (this thread pops up alot) is that the best way to get power is to do the 'big three', intake, exhaust, and fuel processing. Doing that will get you a little boost in power. But, my own personal observation, people start these threads, get the big three, and are STILL looking for more power. If you're just looking for a little extra oomph, you can do it, if you're looking to get serious performance, you'll probably be happier on a bigger bike.

There IS a guy who makes a turbo kit for the VN900. Last I recall, it was around 2 grand. Google the Vulcan 900 turbo. I will try and find a link later but, that's probably going to be your biggest performance gains you can possible get for the 900. If I may offer my own personal opinion though, if you're going to spend upwards of $2,000 (because you'll still need fuel processors, probably exhaust components, etc.), for performance, performance that could reduce the life of your engine, then just trade your bike in, +$2000, for something a little bit bigger. The guys around here with Vulcan 2000's seem to feel like it's got all the power in the world. I'd also bet that a 900 with that homemade turbo kit has less power than a V2K. Don't know that for a fact, I'd have to look into it, but if I were in that boat that's what I'd do.

Of course a 900 turbo would be awfully unique. The guy who makes the kit is the only person I've heard of to actually have it. Not sure if he's ever sold anyone the kit.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Right hand, twist harder, let her rev. Remember, a 903cc engine will in no way run on the low end like a 1440cc, 1575cc, or a 1690cc (HD 88, 96 and 103 cid) engine.

Here is a vid of the turbo 900

2006 VN900 Classic LT - Red and Black
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 PM

WOW...that is ugly!!!

2011 Vulcan Vaquero with V&H slash cut slip-ons K&N filter driving lights and passenger back rest.

2007 900 Classic LT S&S air kit,Roadhouse Classic 2-1 serrated,PC III (traded)
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

I read somewhere its putting 79hp at the rear wheel, but it sure is butt ugly.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 PM

http://www.superbikeschool.com/

Improve the most important part of your bike!
Best part is you can take it off and install it on your next bike.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 AM
Top Contributor

You will never make a V6 Mustang outperform a V8 so if adding a fuel processor, intake and exhaust is not enough then maybe upgrading could be the only solution.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 AM

I think this is part of our problem with the 900 series......we have the expectation going in that, being a V-Twin, we have a smart man's HD. Yet, when we try to ride like she is a larger displacement HD, we become a little disillusioned because we don't understand yet that, although we may look like we have a Dyna Super Glide or a Road King, we do not have the displacement to ride like one.

I struggled with this the beginning of last year when I first purchased my bike, to understand that I could not ride in the same style like my friend and his Ultra Classic 96 cid Stage I, meaning I couldn't lug the engine in the classic HD style. It took me a while to remember my old KZ550 LTD loved to rev and not lug. When I applied this thought process to my V9D, many an joyful mile miraculously appeared.

Case in point. On a ride last year through mountain passes, I found myself second in line behind another Ultra Classic 96 Stage III. When we got into the real twisty, uphill/downhill sections, the other rider would use both lanes on this two laner to really have some fun; I could just about keep up with him by just staying in my rut (I am by no means a super accomplished rider; just average). The rest of the group of Springers, GLs, Softails, etc, couldn't even keep up with the two of us. The only time I really struggled to keep up with this Ultra Classic was on the uphill sections; I was really having to twist hard just to lose ground. When we were on the super slab for the last 20 miles home is where I found myself at a large disadvantage; the group was running in the 90 - 100 mph range, and I became tail gunner Charlie fast. At one point, while running flat out at an indicated 110 mph, an 88 Stage III Springer came flying past me. I guess he was trying to make a point.

From my take, the 900 is a good all around cruiser, and the term "cruiser" originally meant low speed, around town looks. Stock, my V9D is an excellent around town bike (good handling, very good power, looks, styling). As the name implies, mine is a "light touring" bike, meaning it will tour but was not designed to hard core tour, meaning long distance may not be its forte stock. However, if we take it for its stock intentions, the Vulcan 900 series does good, low speed (under 65 mph), two lane touring. We can upgrade the bike for higher speed touring (seat, shock, sprockets/tall rear tire). Once we really understand for what the Vulcan series was designed and what its limitations are relative to large touring bikes (which are designed for that purpose) and large cruisers, we can then enjoy a great all around bike which can be improved for our respective niches of preference (light touring, commuter, long touring, back road, cruising in style, kid shuttling, etc).
redrltx likes this.

2006 VN900 Classic LT - Red and Black
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode