Cobra light bar question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Cobra light bar question

Hello,
Does anyone know how to change the set up of this? What I mean is that the lights are on only when the headlight is in low-beam, if I change it to high-beam they turn off.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyaco View Post
Hello,
Does anyone know how to change the set up of this? What I mean is that the lights are on only when the headlight is in low-beam, if I change it to high-beam they turn off.
Thanks
Some state laws require this set up, check with loe b4 u change it. Yes it can b changed by switchin the feed from the low beam feed to the hi beam feed. If u'rs doesn't have a relay n the system i would advise installing 1 to protect u'r wires and switches. A search will yield u a "how to" that u'll b able 2 do if u have even a small amount of elect knowledge. Hope this helps.

2011 1700 Nomad
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Mine is set up to turn on with the key and stays on with both low and high beam. I left the Cobra supplied switch in-line so I can turn it off. Used a 12v relay. There's power and ground accessory leads inside the headlamp bucket. Relay switch wire is hooked into the blue w/yellow tracer power wire going into the original headlamp relay under the right side-cover.

Gadget's site may help.

'10 VN900DA
32,000+ miles

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

To continue with my original question, from the pictures attached can someone please tell me what I need to move?
This is a Cobra light bar, I need to change it to work with the high beam not the low as it currently is.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Anyone please?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyaco View Post
Anyone please?
In order to give you a good answer, we need to know exactly what model bike you have......and then someone with that model and a shop manual will have to take his bike apart to look at the wiring and connectors......and it STILL will be somewhat of a guess.

That might be asking for a lot from people who you don't really know.

If you take it to the dealer, they should be able to do it right in about 5 minutes.....or less. If they know you, it might even be FREE.

Want a wild guess: Move that blue bridging tap and it's black wire over to the OTHER red wire on the headlight socket. I'm assuming that is the high beam wire and the third black one is the common ground.

Note: I accept NO responsibility if it blows up.

Last edited by Easy Rider; 09-26-2012 at 06:46 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM

Looks to me like that horrible scotchlok is on the lowbeam wire, and the lightbar is connected to the headlight circuit. According to the shop manual for the 09 VN900 the wires are as follows:

Black/Yellow = Ground
Red /Yellow = Low
Red /Black=High

When I installed my Cobra LB I took a power feed from the empty accessory power in the bucket (White\Blue) and took it thru a 12v spst relay - (auto zone) and to the bar lights. The relay coil is connected to the running light wire in the bucket (red blue). The relay is used so if a fault develops in the lightbar it does not compromise the headlight/tail circuit. This setup puts the bar on as soon as the key is on. I'm in NY where the LB does not have to turn off for annual inspection, at least at the shop I use . You should check to see if your aux lights have to be off on low.
If you need it to be on the high you could always just move that horrible scotchlok to the high wire. The issue I have with scotchloks is that they can corrode over time, and could compromise the HL circuit. My luck would be that corrosion would strike at midnight on a dark rural road and leave me with no headlight!

Happy Trails!

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Red / Silver
Waterboy's lowers - modded slightly to fit the lightbar
Mustang Studded Seat
Cobra Lightbar
Phat 1 Risers
Rear floorboards-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by emt_271; 09-26-2012 at 08:00 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very mush for your help, I will try to move that scotchlok to the high wire, otherwise I will take to the dealer and hopefully they do not charge me 1 full hour.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 PM

Make sure you:

a) use a new scotchlok - they are a one time deal

b) insulate with electrical tape where it pierced the wire it is on now. It leaves a little slice in the insulation. That little slice will short against the HL bucket if you leave it bare.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Red / Silver
Waterboy's lowers - modded slightly to fit the lightbar
Mustang Studded Seat
Cobra Lightbar
Phat 1 Risers
Rear floorboards-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode