Wow what a pain in the a$$. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Rob

Wow what a pain in the a$$.

Well after hours of blood, sweat, a few tears, a lot of grunting and a lot of time passing I finally got the baffles pulled out of the stock pipes. Just for the record it sounds fantastic. I wanted to get a set of cobra swepts, but honestly just can't justify the $550 it would take to get them.

My question is I have the Fi2000R on the way and should be here Monday. Does anybody know what the settings should be for the de-baffled stock pipes and no other mods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
My question is I have the Fi2000R on the way and should be here Monday. Does anybody know what the settings should be for the de-baffled stock pipes and no other mods?
If you just changes pipes (and not the filter, etc.), you really don't need to worry about that. I assume the same is true if you debaffle, but others who are more mechanically-minded than me will likely chime in. Until they do, though, don't unwrap that Fi200R...you might not need it and could get your $$ back.

( Used to have: )
'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
*Passion Red *Mustang One-Piece Vintage Seat
*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by at-home-daddy View Post
If you just changes pipes (and not the filter, etc.), you really don't need to worry about that. I assume the same is true if you debaffle, but others who are more mechanically-minded than me will likely chime in. Until they do, though, don't unwrap that Fi200R...you might not need it and could get your $$ back.
I too am not that mechanically inclined, but I have heard that if you debaffle the the stock pipes the Fi2000R is needed, at least that is what I have found. I figured it is true because I am getting some pretty knarley backfire.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Top Contributor

The back firing was always happeneing, you just hear it now without the baffles.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Top Contributor

Use this:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...fi-2000-a.html

Also, if it's just the backfiring you're concerned about, do a search on "marbling"

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Rob

Thanks Bill! I'll give the "marbling" a shot, and see how it goes. At any rate I think the pipes sound great and if I have to put up with a little popping her and there so what. Thanks again!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM

Garage
If you are really getting backfiring you will need to install some sort of fuel injection tuning module. Removing the baffles or swaping pipes won't normally result in backfiring. I suspect you are hearing the excess full burning in the pipe now that the baffles aren't there. Same thing happened to me when I put the V&H pipes on and the Power Commander didn't help. If it's poping on deceleration that's likely what is happening in which case marbling should reduce it considerably. There are a couple of really good threads on marbling in this forum and one of them has links to a a pretty good YouTube video on how to do it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Rob

Thanks Collinba!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I too am not that mechanically inclined, but I have heard that if you debaffle the the stock pipes the Fi2000R is needed, at least that is what I have found. I figured it is true because I am getting some pretty knarley backfire.
Did the full debaffle last summer, then the marbling a month later. It greatly reduced the popping on decel (won't completely eliminate). Bike has been running great. Also have a K&N filter (stock airbox). After 7 months still love the sound of the pipes.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Did the full debaffle last summer, then the marbling a month later. It greatly reduced the popping on decel (won't completely eliminate). Bike has been running great. Also have a K&N filter (stock airbox). After 7 months still love the sound of the pipes.
Yeah I really like the sound and I just order this little guy yesterday........

So I am glad I ordered the controller, but will have to try that marble trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode