baffled by the baffles! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

baffled by the baffles!

I am trying to remove the baffles on my Cobra longs and can't get them to budge. I bought the pipes used so don't know how they were put in. I got an extra set of baffles when I purchased them and want to compare them. Also thinking of putting on the Smartpartz to quiet them. Any special tools to suggest? Maybe I am just missing something simple such as another screw somewhere connecting the baffle to the pipe? Any help appreciated. Need to quiet these babies down a little!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I don't know if you've done this already, but there should be one bolt near the end of each pipe, on the bike side. Undo it and I just stick a flat screwdriver inside, find a lip somewhere and slide the baffles out. Yours should be the same or very similar to what I have.

The Cobra quiet core baffles are on the left, standard baffles on the right.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2u View Post
I am trying to remove the baffles on my Cobra longs and can't get them to budge. I bought the pipes used so don't know how they were put in. I got an extra set of baffles when I purchased them and want to compare them. Also thinking of putting on the Smartpartz to quiet them. Any special tools to suggest? Maybe I am just missing something simple such as another screw somewhere connecting the baffle to the pipe? Any help appreciated. Need to quiet these babies down a little!
There will be one or two screws holding the baffles in place usually at 6 o'clock & 9 o'clock. Most likely it's carbon built up in the pipe and baffle that's keeping it tight. Take the pipes off and with the screws removed gently tap the end of the pipe on a piece of wood until the baffle frees up. While the baffle is out drill a 1/4" hole somewhere near the end so that you can use a piece of smooth rod with a hook on the end to pull it out next time. I've had Cobras on two different bikes, drags, sweeps & classics and they are all noisy. I tried everything and the best I could do is get some of the raspiness out of it but the DB's never changed much.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Appreciate the pics very much. It looks like I have the quiet baffles in the pipes now. I had removed the screws in the end of the pipe but thought there might be another one I didn't know about. Looks like I am going to have to remove the pipes to get the baffles out but was hoping for an easier way. Need to order new gaskets before I take them off as I have used them twice now. I am going to try the Smartpartz and see if it will help some with the noise. Heard good and bad about them so we will see.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Banned

maybe use a coat hanger and bend the end of it, reach into the baffle to hook the end of the coat hanger onto the baffle. I have the Cobra Quiet Baffles in my Cobra Dragsters, the quiet baffles lowered the decibels about 4 to 5 decibels, the dragsters are still load but better than before, the quiet baffles will create a bit more back pressure to the engine
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM

I ended up having to drill the bolts out of mine when I changed to Quiet Core baffles. Then I had to re-tap to the next size up. Use some nickel anti-seize when you put'em back together. I did and they haven't vibrated loose or anything yet.

2007 900 Classic LT(SOLD)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2u View Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate the pics very much. It looks like I have the quiet baffles in the pipes now. I had removed the screws in the end of the pipe but thought there might be another one I didn't know about. Looks like I am going to have to remove the pipes to get the baffles out but was hoping for an easier way. Need to order new gaskets before I take them off as I have used them twice now. I am going to try the Smartpartz and see if it will help some with the noise. Heard good and bad about them so we will see.
Degreaser's got the right idea and since you have the quiet baffles you have some big holes that you can slip a hook into. The coat hanger is probably a bit soft for the application so I would stop by a welding shop and buy some brazing rod that you can bend a hook on the end and a loop on the other. I would try that first before removing the pipes.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Not giving up just yet. Will try the hook thing for sure. Thanks.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Banned

I just don't get you guys and your quiet pipes . . .
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithlloyd View Post
I just don't get you guys and your quiet pipes . . .
I had a dilemna, because when I bought my bike with quiet stock pipes I wanted a bit more punch to the sound of the exhaust, so I bought V&H Longshots, but those went in the other direction, too noisy, so then I took those off and put the stock pipes back on, again, back to my desire of wanting more sound, so the V&H Longshots went back on again, I could never find that sweet spot, it was either too quiet or too loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode